Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old June 12, 2007   #1
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Default NOT trying to create an issue

Espoma Tomato-Tone: Are organic gardeners using this I know it is mostly organic, I've done some research here, there and who knows where. Just wondering.

Thanks
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2007   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

No issue, thats why we have these forum's so we can talk about it. Heres a link that shows its ingredients.
http://www.espoma.com/content.aspx?t...goryID=4&id=23
Compared to "Miracle Grow" yes. They used a few inorganic ingredients to fill the holes the organic ingredients could not. It just depends on how far you want to go organically and what is acceptable to you as a individual. Ami
Old June 13, 2007   #3
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

So, what does copper do for tomatoes?
Does it clog the pores of the leaves to prevent foliage disease?

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Copper is a fungicide (vs daconil which binds to receptor sites and is a fungus blocker rather than killer) and also helps (somewhat) with bacterial spot, speck, etc. But I don't see how it can accomplish those goals as a soil additive.

Also, there is a limit to how much copper you can spray on plants before you have toxicity problems.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2007   #5
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the follow up. I know using the word organic in other forums on the web can create wild debate.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2007   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

neoguy, it did and thats why we have this forum. By the way feldon what are you doin here? Copper use is not only limited in the use as a fungicide.
Copper is also used by the plant. All research indicates that copper is important in the breakdown of proteins in the growth processes of plants. Plants that are deficient in copper have an abnormally low rate of photosynthesis.
This is the reason to suggest that copper is involved in the reactions of oxidation reduction in plants. It is also apparent that copper is linked with iron and manganese in the formation of chlorophyll. And it seems that copper also has a regulating function when soil nitrogen is too high. Ami

Last edited by amideutch; June 14, 2007 at 07:46 AM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2007   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I figured they were treating it as a micronutrient. Forgot to mention that in my post.

I have been leery about using chemicals other than Daconil. And except for Osmocote as a "base" fertilizer, I have not used any chemicals on my other plants. And I could replace Osmocote by buying bagged components like Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Epsom Salts, and Rock Phosphate not to mention Espoma Garden-Tone.

I'm not "on a mission" to be green or organic. I just like the concept of using as little as needed.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2007   #8
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I've used the Cornell Formula, copper spray and Daconil. Daconil wins hands down.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote