Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old May 22, 2009   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default anyone do this?

i need to spray my crw tomato cages with clorox in the next couple of days. this is an effort to reduce foliar disease that i think reside on the cages causing bad foliar disease the past 2 or 3 seasons on my tomatoes.

i use the same sprayer for foliar feeding plants with nh fertilizer.

if i use 1/3 clorox 2/3 water to spray the cages and clean the sprayer and spray thru the nozzle to clear the whole sprayer with water several times will the sprayer be safe to use to foliar feed my plants?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009   #2
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Just make sure you REALLY rinse it good. I only have one hand held pump sprayer used only for my garden but I have several backpack sprayers that I use for various reasons for work related projects. From herbicides to complete vegetation killers. Rinse, pump out hose, repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Reapeat again. Since you're using bleach, the smell should be easy to pick up so you'll know if you got it.
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Household bleach actually out gases itself pretty well. Rinse it well, and leave it open to air for 24 hours or so, and you should be fine.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

As the CRW rusts, the iron-oxide crystals provide a lot of hiding places for things like bacteria and virus critters. Have you thought about painting the CRW with something like Rustoleum or other paint with rust inhibitors??? Rustoleum can be purchased at Lowes in a brush-on or spray can with a choice of a few colors.

The paint will fill in those hiding places in the wire and, because they halt the rust, will also greatly extend the life of the cages you have built.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i know that chlorine breaks down fast in the sun so i figured putting the sprayer into the sun for a day or 2 would help also but washing it out, i think, is still important. this is good news as the sprayer i wanted to use is not spraying a fine mist just a stream and it'd take 2 gallons to do 1 cage! this is why i was thinking of using my sprayer i use for fertilizing as it throws a good mist. i can really spray the cages well with it but i just worried i might kill my plants even tho i thought this would be safe to do. thanks.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote