Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old February 13, 2010   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default alliums?

is there enough interest here to ask for a forum on onions and garlic? i grow about 75 to 100 pounds of onions and 200+ bulbs of garlic each year. i know there are some people here that grow alliums. also i know there are few people here that post at gw's allium forum... perhaps we could steer all those others posting there to post here?

i won't be posting at the gw allium forum anymore so i'd like to see those folks come here.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010   #2
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching the GW allium forum for information, but it is so slow that it could easily be reabsorbed into the general gardening forum, IMO. I think the same would happen here, and I basically just use the "New Topics" feature here to see whats been going on rather than search each subforum. I'm on dialup so each new window I open takes time.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i use the view new posts too, i don't bother looking at each forum. having an allium forum may promote more discussions about onions and garlic but maybe not. just tossing it out to see if there is interest. alliums are not as exciting as tomatoes but there is a huge sense of satisfaction when i dig my garlic and onions.
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old February 13, 2010   #4
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

I go to GW on occasion, it's so slow and those darned pop ups really turn me off. The Allium forum is one that I visit along with hot peppers, tomatoes and organic gardening. Wow, the OG fanatics over there are something else. But, back to topic...if there is enough interest I'd say Yes.

I've been growing garlic in my small plot for nearly 20 years, have been growing onion sets nearly as long. Last year I started bunching onions from seed and they were the best tasting scallions I ever had. This year,
thanks to Tom, I'm growing Copra and Red Wing onions. I'm hooked, if I can grow a years supply I'll be very happy.

Another allium I've grown off and on, because of lack of space, are shallots, they are great in any dish but very expensive to buy.

With so many varieties, hardneck, softneck, long day, short day, walking onion, bunching onion.............I say yep, a separate forum would come in handy. Just my cent and a half.

Last edited by neoguy; February 13, 2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: correction
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2010   #5
salix
Tomatovillian™

I concur - one of my favourite crops! Grew some awesome shallots last year, along with the usual onions and garlic. Am going to try leeks again this year, usually they don't get as large as I'd like.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2010   #6
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

There are pros and cons each way (dedicated subforum or not), but I'd probably prefer having alliums remain part of Miscellaneous Edibles. I think it's possible to slice and dice topics too finely and then nothing achieves critical mass.

My two cents.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2010   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I agree though I love my onions and garlic. I have been growing them for over 30 years and down here they can be very spotty in production from year to year. Last year I lost nearly all of my onions and most of my garlic to some unknown rot from too much rain. Two years ago I made so many onions I couldn't find a use for all of them before they started sprouting or rotting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
There are pros and cons each way (dedicated subforum or not), but I'd probably prefer having alliums remain part of Miscellaneous Edibles. I think it's possible to slice and dice topics too finely and then nothing achieves critical mass.

My two cents.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2010   #8
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Even though i'm a keen grower of most of the alliums, myself i would think that there maybe not enough interest to warrant a separate forum
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2010   #9
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I read the GW Allium forum daily and post often, but I am much more comfortable over here.

While the New Post feature here makes it easy to see all new posts each day regardless of which forum they are in, I would still like to see an Onion & Garlic forum (Allium includes flowers) here, just as we have potato, eggplant, and pepper forums. Provided it is not too difficult or expensive to set up a new forum, I think it may very well invite more participation and interest.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2010   #10
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Well you have me. I agree with the critic of pop-ups at GW Allium forum. Would much rather view posting here.
Old February 26, 2010   #11
bloosquall
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I was invited to check out tomatoville, So far I like the site. I guess the question is should these guys set up an allium forum..well heck yes they should, I'm a smallish garlic farmer with 15,000 plants and 26 varieties. I would love to have a new home, a new place to talk garlic and maybe help people who are just starting out. It appears ya'll already have a darn smart guy as a member here and he is TomNJ, I consult him when I have a question.

Lets get this new section going..I'm excited.

-bloo
bloosquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #12
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I would vote for adding an alliums forum.

I think it helps by grouping similar questions to there own forums, because when I am looking for answers it is easier if the posts are close together of a like topics. I think as well when you see a seperate forum, it might spark extra questions.

I would personally would like to see a legumes forum as well.

Just my opionion.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #13
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Bloo, ooooh Bloo, where have you been.....?

Glad to see ya here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloosquall View Post
I was invited to check out tomatoville, So far I like the site. I guess the question is should these guys set up an allium forum..well heck yes they should, I'm a smallish garlic farmer with 15,000 plants and 26 varieties. I would love to have a new home, a new place to talk garlic and maybe help people who are just starting out. It appears ya'll already have a darn smart guy as a member here and he is TomNJ, I consult him when I have a question.

Lets get this new section going..I'm excited.

-bloo
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2010   #14
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

bloo nice to see you here and thanks to tom_nj for inviting you. there's a lot of great forums and people here.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old February 27, 2010   #15
bloosquall
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Yo Neo, I'm still here. I got my panties in wad over some stuff at PG and never went back. I miss a few of you guys over there...ya'll can always find and/or message me at my site and I guess on here now. Good to catch up with you too man. tjg911, Thanks for the welcome comment.
bloosquall is offline   Reply With Quote