Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old May 18, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Confusing Instructions

Even though I have many flowering onions, I bought some Granex Hybrid seeds while at TSC the other day. I know they are a short day onion which means I need to start the seeds in a flat in October to plant out as transplants in January.

January and February are when onion sets/transplants are sold in this area of Texas. Planting later than February isn't advised. Onions here need some cold temps too.

The second picture is the confusing part. I'm in the orange zone in the third picture. "Sow in average soil in full sun after danger of frost in spring?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0005.JPG (59.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0006.JPG (55.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0007.JPG (60.8 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 18, 2016 at 06:10 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Robert,

Excellent question!!

I also bought some Vidalia Onion seeds last week (Yellow Granex Hybrid 33) with confusing planting instructions.

I found a Vidalia Onion Growers website which may be of help to you:

http://www.vidaliaonion.org/farming/...vidalia_onions

Basically, in Georgia growers there start their seeds in September, with transplant out in November - January. The key is to amend your soil to have as low a Sulfur content as possible to get a similar taste. Here is another link of interest:

http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/vidaliaonion.htm

I've started 32 seeds last week just to observe seedling habits, then will be starting seedlings in September for real. Hope to then transplant out in December.

As you are in a similar latitude to Vidalia Georgia, you may want to follow their dates.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; May 18, 2016 at 07:05 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Raybo, that is very interesting reading. I need to have a soil test done anyway, so I'll send in a sample from our onion bed as well. Our onions don't have the strong taste, but they are not sweet either.
Old May 18, 2016   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

What I conclude is to only apply a Sulfer-free fertilizer, if you want a sweet(er) onion.

Raybo
Old May 18, 2016   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

If anyone can get onions by direct-sowing seeds in their garden, I'm impressed. I've never seen it happen. I've started them in trays in the greenhouse, and even that was a pain. When I first got my greenhouse, everyone I knew wanted me to start every plant they grew. After a few years, I learned to tell them to just go buy the things I wasn't good at growing...which is a very long list, and does include onions.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Cole,

I put them in a Burpee SWC starting tray:

Will see how the seedlings develop over the next 2 months.

Raybo
Old May 18, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I grew ours in the seed tray itself without the cells. I enjoyed growing them during our off season months. I grew them in our house with fluorescent lights.

So far, the internet keeps showing me fertilizers with added sulfur.

The garden PH level is 6.7 and I've read to use 15.5-0-0 fertilizer until they start bulbing.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 18, 2016 at 08:08 PM.
Old May 18, 2016   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

We have the best early Vidalias here in the farmers markets. I may try growing them but it almost doesn't seem worth it since I can buy the best onions I've ever tasted.
This summer,I need to can,dry and freeze some for next winter. They are so delicious!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote