Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 9, 2017   #16
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

I think they make a big difference but I use two per plant in the spring and that seems to work very well for me.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #17
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Presume you are referring to the little spikes that are about 2 x 1/2 x 3/8" thick? Apx, of course. Or do they make something larger now?
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #18
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Yes those are the spikes I use.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #19
agee12
Tomatovillian™

What I think is good about them is the NPK of 6-18-6. The spikes are readily available, inexpensive and don't take up a lot of room. If you put the spike in when directed then your plants should have the phosphorous needed (P) when flowering starts.

I would definitely recommend it to a new gardener or a gardener that does not have the funds or inclination to have a lot of gardening products. I don't think that it has calcium in it, so it can't be touted as a Blossom-End Rot preventative.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #20
User 636
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
I would definitely recommend it to a new gardener or a gardener that does not have the funds or inclination to have a lot of gardening products. I don't think that it has calcium in it, so it can't be touted as a Blossom-End Rot preventative.
Yup. I have a tomato based calcium added fert that I use. The spikes are for the phos. Containers and regular rainfall here keep me on my toes with trying to keep my plants supplied with what they need.
User 636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2017   #21
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

Over here in the UK/Ireland we have a similar product, Westland Gro-Sure Tomato Easy Feed Sticks. I tried them out on some of my micros last year. It seemed to work well. Especially considering I killed one of my peppers with a miscalculated dilution of liquid feed
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2017   #22
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

I think that Jobe's Tomato Spikes work well. I had good luck with my tomatoes in pots. I will use them again this year too. If I can find them. But Warning: Rotten Dachshunds like eat them too! Aren't the Jobe's Spikes supposed to be plant food!
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2017   #23
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Seems like very little fertilizer for the money to me. Just my opinion.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #24
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

I use a variety of ferts on my tomatoes and peppers. And a large part of my plan is "what I got on sale," lol. I grow all in containers. Container conditions can and do change abruptly due to weather. I put the spikes in, when I pot the plants up. I put some in along the way. But I only used spikes in the smaller containers because they are not economical to use large scale. I watch my plants and feed more heavily if they need it. I try to stay light on the Miracle gro salt types but I use those some. I still have a freezer full of tomatoes from 2016; my plants were good producers.

If you have a few plants and small containers, Jobes spikes might work great for you for the most part? But they are not complete nutrition.

Last edited by MadCow333; May 1, 2017 at 09:00 AM.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote