Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 10, 2007   #1
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Default Current incarnation of Organic Gardening magazine

Well, it's been awhile since I've bothered to read 'OG'. I used to be a subscriber in the heady McGrath days. Plus I've been blessed with being at the right place at the right time (collection deselection at the local library) to purchase volumes of early OG.

Yesterday, I signed out a recent edition of OG with promises of tomato info. What a load of crap. (Excuse my English). Glad I never bother to actually buy the mag anymore. Wouldn't use it for toilet paper.

Now tell us how you really feel about the downward spiral of OG, Jennifer...

Jennifer, dismally looking for something offline that will provide the same sense of anticipation and enjoyment that the old Organic Gardening mag used to when it employed real gardeners and farmers who knew what they were talking about, knew who else knew what they were talking about and knew how to write about it properly and with a sense of humour.
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2007   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I agree - hard to remember the last time I've actually bothered to pick up and read a gardening magazine. I miss the old Gardens For All, which evolved into National Gardening.....what appears to me for these recent mags is that they have a schedule of what dumbed down stuff to report, and repeat it on a regular cycle (same thing happens in the gardening section of our newspaper....or snoozepaper!).

I think the other problem is that if you garden enough, we all gain so much wisdom that we tend to move beyond the basic information that the mags aim for.
Old March 10, 2007   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I no longer subscribe to Organic Gardening or OG or whatever they call it now. My favorite was Kitchen Gardener. I loved that magazine. I guess it wasn't popular enough and they stopped printing it.
Old March 10, 2007   #4
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

I loved Kitchen Gardener too! I have a stack of well thumbed through back issues on my nightstand. The only gardening mag I get now is Fine Gardening as an annual Xmas gift from my mother.
Old March 10, 2007   #5
redbrick
Tomatovillian™

The last several years (decade, maybe?) of Organic Gardening have been a serious disappointment to me as well. They rmind me of gerden themed movie trailers. Lots of visual fluff and teasers, but no meat.

If I could make a suggestion, Heirloom Gardener is the best current gardening mag that I've found out there. Baker Creek publishes it on a quarterly basis. Each issue carries thirteen articles covering heirloom vegetable varieties, antique fruit vareties, historical gardening methods and accounts, organic methods, and other historic themed topics.
Old March 11, 2007   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The problem with Kitchen Gardener is that the editorial staff was changing the copy that authors sent in so much that they had a hard time getting decent stuff to publish b'c word like that goes out very quickly, especially to those who are GWAA ( garden writers association of America) members, thru website messenger sites for same.

In a nutshell they were almost impossible to work with and had huge turnover in staffing and four Editorial chiefs in two year which also led to problems since they handled the same person in different ways.

And I know full well what a mess Kitchen Gardener was b'c I was asked to write an article, they sent up a photo crew, set designer, and my editor was newly pulled from their woodworking magazine and knew nada about tomatoes.

The picture to text ratio at KG also got to be ridiculous.

My fave was National Gardening and I wrote for them and I respected all those folks there who were involved. If it weren't for the parent company, Foster and Gallagher, going bankrupt, they'd still be publishing. That same backruptsy wiped out Starks, Gurney's, Fields, and quite a few others until Gardens Alive rode their white charger into the midst and bought up all those companies for a song.

You might wonder where Gardens Alive got that kind of money. Come now, you've ALL seen what they offer and what they charge for it.

As for Organic Gardening, Craig and I were both very active when Mike McGrath was Editor and I was also invited to give a several day workshop on heirloom tomatoes at their growout area.

At that time it was obvious that money was hard to come by, income for OG was way down and that changes were in the air and it wasn't soon after that Maria, or whatever her name, took over from Mike and they changed the format of the magazine. Mike stayed around in some other capacity b'c he's married to a Rodale as I recall.

As soon as I saw what was happeing weith OG I never resubbed b'c I found the magazine to be of no interest whatsoever. Some of their staff escaped to Mother Earth News but I don't like that magazine either.

Finally, I initially subscribed to Baker Creeks magazine and did for a few years. Jere had asked me to write for them but I just couldn't do it b'c there were two others writing for them who were writing all sorts of nonesense, and more.

WWW was one, and the other was the guy who used to post at GW and took almost everything Craig and I said about histories of varieties, wrote it up, submitted it and it was published with no credits given at all. Not right.

There were articles I did like, but not that many and I haven' subbed to it for two years now so I don't know who is writing.

They really should have more editorial control over articles publised so that wrong info is not published. Just my opinion.

And I haven't found any other magazines to replace National Gardening, which in my opinion, was THE best.
Old March 11, 2007   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I liked National Gardening, as well.

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare at Kitchen Gardener! i just liked it because it was dedicated to veggies, fruits, herbs and edible flowers. There wasn't much in that magazine that didn't interest me.
Old March 11, 2007   #8
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

I'm glad this thread appeared...I was considering a subscription to Organic Gardening. Our nephew sent us one of those "subscribe to a magazine and help our school!" deals and I was looking for something to buy. Now I know OG won't be it!!!

Speaking of crap magazines, I got a two year subscription to Better Homes and Gardens last year as a gift. I appreciate the gift, but the magazine is BAD. Not only is it FULL of ads (every other page, the whole mag) but the gardens are usually expensive, professionally done, and boring. Average people can't bring in "designers" to do all of the work, and who would want to? Not real gardeners, in my opinion!

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2007   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Now that I have read this again, I didn't realize the company that printed Nat'l Gardening had gone bankrupt. I seem to remember getting a letter from them telling me they couldn't finish out my subscription because they were no longer going to print the magazine, however, there would be an on line version of the magazine. At the time, the idea of sitting at a computer and reading for long periods of time really turned me off, though I do it all the time now. I guess I just assumed that on line version would still be there if ever I wanted to go read it. I guess not.
Old March 11, 2007   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I just assumed that on line version would still be there if ever I wanted to go read it. I guess not. :sad:

There is a website for National Gardening but what it consists of is many articles from the magazine done in prior years.

They chose what they wanted to from those articles and then wrote each of the authors and paid $25 if you allowed them to include the article at the website.

Many authors refused to do that. I didn't, so my article on tomato diseases is there, b/c I just didn't care and was not so protective as many other authors were.

How I wish someone would have the money to get National Gardening going again, b'c most of the staff are still involved in one way or another with gardening in Burlington, VT area where it was published from.
Old March 11, 2007   #11
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Organic Gardening was a joke when my subscription ran out however many years ago. They took a good grip on their ideology and cut their own throats. Too bad, because the subject does deserve serious discussion.

I subscribed to Heirloom Gardener for a year and it just didn't engage my interest. I kept waiting for the colloidal silver article to appear.

Kitchen Gardener I loved. Too bad they, too, cut their own throats.

National Gardening was great, though it folded not that long after I discovered it.

There are a number of other magazines I read that have vetable gardening articles on a regular basis. The quality runs from awful to very good.

And Craig is right on the money, if you garden enough and pay attention, most garden articles are going to be a disappointment in one way or another.

So when is OTV coming back?

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2007   #12
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Like Ruth, I had a one year subscription to Heirloom Gardener. I could usually find one or two articles in there each issue that I liked but it wasn't enough to make me renew.
Old March 11, 2007   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

So when is OTV coming back? :grin:

Do we really have to discuss that.....again?
Old March 12, 2007   #14
Allura
Tomatovillian™

Organic Gardening and National Gardening were great mags and full of valuable info when gardening first peeked my interest 15 years ago. OG was substantial and gave me something to read for a couple days whereas when they changed, it became nothing more than a "flyer". It broke my heart to see such a good mag reduced to just a few pages of nothing.

I subscribe to Garden Gate now, it's ok, but nothing like the other two. I'm glad I saved a box of old OG's from when they were still tops!
Allura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #15
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

When OG went all glitzy, I cancelled my subscription or let it run out, don't remember which now, but I just recently resubscribed to it and got an issue in the mail the other day, it does seem better than all the glitz and glitter they had a few years back.
Alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote