Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old June 30, 2007   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Organic Fertilizer, Make your Own

I was doing a search in google on NPK and the difference between organic and Inorganic. Organic usually has lower numbers than inorganic. Came across some recipes and thought I would post them here. As I come across more I will add them to the list. Ami
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ...ur-Garden.aspx
Here's another interesting article from Dirtdoctor concerning Organic verses inorganic fertilizer with a few recipes at the end.
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=131
Old June 30, 2007   #2
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Ami, thanks for taking the time to google. This is something I'm very interested in learning more about.

This is the first year I've deviated from "completely organic" by using Espoma Tomato Tone.

I can't tell if the Espoma has made a difference since I planted late, end of May beginning of June. Home garden is high in nitrogen, I added a lot of rabbit manure and watered with rabbit manure tea. I have used Tomato Tone twice. The plants are nearing 5' with lots of flowers and fruit on most plants except German Johnson and Mortgage Lifter (unknown strain).

The second garden is a community garden. Our first year in this plot. We have no idea how it was amended in the past. Have used Alaska 5-1-1 and Tomato Tone. These plants are short about 3', but stocky and full, again a lot of flowers and the fruits are forming. The best producing so far in this garden is the Green Zebra.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent, nor trying to steal the thread.

Keep us informed. Thanks Ami.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2007   #3
tessa
Tomatovillian™

i read something somewhere, maybe it was even here, about throwing foodscraps into the blender and making a 'shake' out of them.
i've been doing that for the past few weeks, and sprinkling the slurry around the beds. time will tell if they have a positive effect. so far...it hasn't attracted any unwelcome 'guests'.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2007   #4
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Ami,

Thanks for the post. The second article was very informative. The first...not so much, although it wasn't bad. I think I may have read that one before.

In a nutshell, organic gardening is thus: feeding the soil and encouraging positive biological activity of microorganisms, such that it facilitates a complementary relationship between plants, soil, and organisms.

Chemical agriculture not only is not conducive to soil health, it actually discourages soil health, particularly in large scale farms where plants are sprayed and gassed year after year in the same locality. The chemicals used to keep the plants growing are destructive to the life in the soil, which undermines natural balance. The result is food with less nutritional value, because the mindset is geared around macronutrients at the expense of micronutrients.

Tessa, you may have read some of the threads were I talked about using the banana peel puree. Its primarily a potassium fertilizer, but others have pointed out that almost anything can be blended to feed the soil. Feeding the soil involves making food sources available to microorganisms (earthworms, for instance) that is eventually broken down into usable forms for plants.

As far as comparing N-P-K levels, this is what must be considered: higher percentages of macronutrients in chemical fertilizer does not necessarily translate into better growth. Much of the nutrients leach quickly because they are water soluble and are not buffered. Organics, although generally lower in macronutrients, tend to stay around longer in the soils and offer a greater overall benefit. One drawback to the long-term presence of chemical fertilizers in soil is the accumulation of salts, which may be harmful to plants. And like the second article mentioned, you run the risk of tying up valuable micronutrients with the use of chemical fertilizers containing certain kinds of phosphate.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2007   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Neoguy, don't worry about tangents, We want to know how your plants are responding to your particular technique. Good stuff.
Tessa, have you heard about EM (Effective Microorganisms).
Using your food scraps reminded me of it. Heres a link that might interest you. Maybe we will start a thread on it.
http://www.emtechnologynetwork.org/
Organichris, thanks for the additional info. All is appreciated.
I brewed a batch of tea last night so I'm going out today and spray my maters, fruit trees and grape vines. We may be getting more rain tomorrow so need to get it done today. Ami
Old July 6, 2007   #6
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I put food scraps in my compost, when it is ready it should make some marvelous tea! I throw coffee grounds in, anything not used or starting to go bad that is vegetable too. Actually I think the compost has more lettuce in it than we have consumed because it keeps going bad I also add banana peels, eggshells-anything not meat based or oily!
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote