Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old July 8, 2007   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Natural Insect Control

Found this while I was cruising the web. Ami
http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html#Aphids:
Old July 9, 2007   #2
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

My natural Aphid control on my eggplant were a couple of
"tansplanted ladybugs" from my pool (they love to dip in for a drink but can't get out, lol. I'm usually on "search and rescue" duty for em).

After 1 week, my eggplant was no longer bothered by pests, and is doing great with fruitset !

~ Tom

Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2007   #3
carolg
Tomatovillian™

My 1,000 store bought ladybugs failed me and split few hours later even when put out in cool weather.

$9.00 later....

Thanks for bug link....tons aphids in my EB plants......and yes ground ones too....
carolg z5 co.....
carolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #4
johno
Tomatovillian™

For me, natural insect control consists of a diverse mix of plants and a good source of water. After that (combined with lots of organic matter in the soil for healthy plants,) the natural enemies of the problem-causing insects thrive.

The only real exception to the rule (again, for me) is that no natural enemies of the squash bug seem to be thriving... Buckwheat is supposed to help solve that problem; I'll be trying that next year...
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #5
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I have also heard that nasturtium planted between (before) the squash plants will keep those nasty squash bugs at bay. I learned that much too late for this year, but will definitely be giving it a whirl next.

My particular nasty pest were invasive red lily beetles. And boy oh boy are they nasty. I ended up cutting down the lillies and bagging the entire stems, bugs, eggs, larvae and all, in a giant ziplock, then letting things sit to cure in the sun. In another month or so when I am positive that everything is good and dead I'll send it along to the dump. Nasty!
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote