Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old January 7, 2007   #1
ZBQ
Tomatovillian™

Default Roma Rio Grand

Happy New Year fellow CHOPTAGers!

The holiday season is finally behind us and this mild weather has me thinking about tomatos!!

Last year at the plant swap I received plant called Roma Rio Grand. I really enjoyed the rich complex taste and in my opinion it was the best tasting tomato in my beds. (Wife thinks the Green Zebra tastes better )

I think I received this plant during Gary's incredible display of high pressure, used car salesman, double dislocating arm twisting tactics!! :wink: :wink:

But I can't honestly be 100% sure about that. I may have gotten it from some one else.

I was wanting to know more about this tomato and wondered if anyone would have the info and mabey some seeds. I can't seem to find it in any of the sources that I have tried. I did save a few seeds but I didn't bag the blooms. Do you think this will be a problem?

I would really like to grow this tomato again this year and try making sauce from it. I think it would make a great sauce.

I am also going to try growing some sweet peppers this year. Also going to plant a FOREST of basil this year!! Deer won't eat the stuff. Never touched a leaf of it last year while they were devouring the Red Brandywine vine that was right in the middle of several plants!!

When is everyone going to start their seeds?
Old January 7, 2007   #2
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Hi Neil:
I don't have any seeds for this variety,but take a look at TGS's website and see if Rio Grande is what you're looking for.
Old January 7, 2007   #3
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

"Last year at the plant swap I received plant called Roma Rio Grand. I really enjoyed the rich complex taste and in my opinion it was the best tasting tomato in my beds. (Wife thinks the Green Zebra tastes better )

I think I received this plant during Gary's incredible display of high pressure, used car salesman, double dislocating arm twisting tactics!!

But I can't honestly be 100% sure about that. I may have gotten it from some one else.

I was wanting to know more about this tomato and wondered if anyone would have the info and mabey some seeds. I can't seem to find it in any of the sources that I have tried. I did save a few seeds but I didn't bag the blooms. Do you think this will be a problem?

Yes, I did bring some of the Roma Rio Grande seedlings to the Plant Exchange. I acquired those seed from France last year and grew them at Thieneman's Nursery. I don't think I have any more seed but would think your saved seed should be fine. I am listing several descriptions below and a source if you decide that is what you want to do.
Gary/Louisville

Roma Rio Grande Very large, blocky paste type, pear-shaped tomatoes are borne in profusion, making for large harvests Deep red fruit is about 4 inches long. Vigorous plants are well adapted to extremes in temperature.

Seeds from Italy
Tomato Rio Grande. Large,(4") blocky shaped paste tomato. Deep red color. ...
growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=1130608177&BACK=A0014A1

Tomato Rio Grande Large,(4") blocky shaped paste tomato. Deep red color. Determinate. Vigorous plant, heavy producer. Does well in hot weather. 80 days.

Tanager Song Organic Heirloom Seeds
RIO GRANDE - Determinate - 80 days – Red. ... Tomato Seed Packets are 20-25 seeds unless otherwise noted. ...
http://www.tanagersongfarm.com/heirl...-paste.htmlRIO GRANDE - Determinate - 80 days – Red. Very large, blocky, pear-shaped tomatoes, prolific. About 4" long. Vigorous plants, well adapted to extremes in temperature. 8-12oz.
Old January 7, 2007   #4
ZBQ
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Dave and Gary!!

I will definately be planting this again!! Flavor was delicious!!
Old January 17, 2007   #5
tomatoaddict

I actually do have seeds for this tomato. If you would like some, e-mail me your address and I will send them to you.
Terry