Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 30, 2018   #2221
bower
Tomatovillian™

What a howler we're having here this morning! Been raining hard since yesterday evening and is not gonna stop until Thursday night. Winds are gusting up to 100 kph from the NE too.

I was on my way to an appointment in CBS and got turned around and told to go home - road is washed out. In a way I'm glad... winds are picking up in the afternoon and that's what I really find freaky. Living in the woods you notice it more than anything, all the big trees thrashing around. In the winter at least the ground is frozen, but with all the rain the ground is primo to topple out those shallow rooted spruce and var. Conditions are close to flooding on the other road out of here as well, so I'm grounded for the day.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #2222
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Granted I don't want it to be too rainy, whatever nitrogen and what not's that rain water picks up as it comes down, everything from flowering shrubs, annuals and vegs seem to give a slight PERK when they get some watering from rainfall
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #2223
pinklady5
Tomatovillian™

Monmouth County, New Jersey- The weather has been cool with lots of rain. Maybe only a couple of days where it was really hot and then back to the cooler, rainy days. We got about 5 inches of rain over the weekend. My plants are struggling. A little purple showing on the stems and foliage. I hope they make it.
pinklady5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #2224
imp
Tomatovillian™

It's starting to cool a bit here, now it's only a 100 F @6:30 pm. It did get to 102 in the shade n the back yard today. The forecast is for 103 tomorrow and for most of the week, but night temps dropping in the mid 70's. Sunday may be a treat with a low of 65!!!

I am still refusing to turn on the air conditioning, *sigh*.

Good thing the water lines are 3 FT. deep running to the house (mains are more than 8 ft. down), not only do my pipes not freeze except right in the basement area, but the water stays cold in the summer; I stood in the back yard 3x today and turned the house on myself like a 3 year old!

Sure felt good, too. From dripping to dry in less than 5 minutes. I'd of wet down the dog, too, but I may have the only lab who doesn't believe in getting wet at all ever. But she has nice cool drinking water.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2018   #2225
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

We beat Texas for highest temps a few days ago. During the never ending (so it seemed) winter, I kept thinking one more week ... and then the forecast would update with another week of parka weather.

Now it is record breaking high temps near 100. Last weekend made it to a hundred for 3 days. It should be in the 70's according to Accuweather historical temps. Tried to hang on without ac in the car, but the forecast now calls for another round of near 100's starting tomorrow.

We had 2 days of spring-like weather in between.

Run out , buy plants at sale rack, water, run home. Repeat next day.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018   #2226
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Woke up this morning at 4:30 to the sounds of an approaching thunderstorm. Got my coffee going, let the dog out to do his bidness and sat on the screened porch and enjoyed watching the storm come in. A wonderful way to start the day.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018   #2227
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

What a great morning, and a great attitude!

When I was little, my dad would take me out on the front porch to watch thunderstorms. A deliberate attempt to keep me from being afraid of them, I think.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2018   #2228
bower
Tomatovillian™

Gotta gripe for my poor tomatoes - three straight days of rain and fog, no sun = no heat in the greenhouse, and those plants are cold, cold and miserable after 72 hours of temps between 44 and 54 F. Purple on the ribs, yellowing centers on the newest leaves.
Then the sun actually came out nearly 4 in the afternoon, okay I won't complain but we got up to 62 F for a couple of hours, we are now past the hour of direct sun. Maybe tonight will only drop to 50 F, but the forecast is for more FOG and drizzle tomorrow, then showers on sunday... .. no sunshine forecast for two or three more days.
Unheated greenhouse is a bit of a crapshoot, but who can afford a heated one.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2018   #2229
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
We beat Texas for highest temps a few days ago. During the never ending (so it seemed) winter, I kept thinking one more week ... and then the forecast would update with another week of parka weather.

Now it is record breaking high temps near 100. Last weekend made it to a hundred for 3 days. It should be in the 70's according to Accuweather historical temps. Tried to hang on without ac in the car, but the forecast now calls for another round of near 100's starting tomorrow.

We had 2 days of spring-like weather in between.

Run out , buy plants at sale rack, water, run home. Repeat next day.

- Lisa
Lisa, I've been noticing high temperatures forecasted for Omaha lately are the same as for Dallas. That's too hot up in your part of the country.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #2230
imp
Tomatovillian™

There just seems to be something wrong to say "well, it's 11 pm and we've cooled down to 90 now.".
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #2231
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's down to 80F 26.6C here at midnight.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #2232
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

After a week or so of gentle rain , now and then ( total of 3.5"), we are gonna have soony days.
I think some of my plants got grey mold . Time to bleach them out.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #2233
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It's down to 80F 26.6C here at midnight.
Would you believe it was about that a couple nights ago in Buffalo!?! We tied the record of 91 that day.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #2234
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Would you believe it was about that a couple nights ago in Buffalo!?! We tied the record of 91 that day.
I spent 5 days in the Catskills last weekend. It was mid July weather. No AC but would have been
nice. Usually just one or two days all Summer it gets that steamy hot. All my fruit trees are
loaded. Usually I get Asian pears every 3-4 years. So much work as they need to be culled.

All my tomatoes are in ground. Most seasons I plant the 2nd weekend in June.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #2235
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

The weather in Europe is upside-down. Oslo has the same temperature as Athens. We've had the hottest May on record, and it's 90 degrees F here right now. Flowers on the tomato plants in the greenhouse are going to drop. Even 50% shade cloth can't help. It hasn't rained appreciably in a month. I've been watering constantly. Can anyone still doubt climate-change?

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote