Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 18, 2008   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default 2008 - CHOPTAG Taste Fest - Results

Let me first thank everyone for coming yesterday. We had another great turnout. Some of the regulars were missing but as usual we had some first timers. Going from my memories best guess, since I never have the presence of mind to count the people when they are there, I’ll say we had about 35 people throughout the day.

Some of the new CHOPTAGers included George who brought Dolly Parton (1st photo 0334) with him.

Ron also came. Ron is an example of why everyone should always talk tomatoes no matter where they are. Three years ago I attended a woodworking show/sale in Columbus Ohio. He tells me we sat through a wood turning demonstration together and somehow we starting talking tomatoes. I gave him a CHOPTAG card and now he’s hooked.

Then there was Garnetmoth. Now this is one dedicated tomato lady. Her avatar. It’s real!!! (2nd photo 0333)

But I think the award for the best newcomer has to go to Barbee (3rd photo 0314). Barbee didn’t have a lot of tomatoes, but as everyone that comes to our events knows, that’s not a problem. She gets the newcomer award because she tasted just about every tomato there. And that was a lot of tomatoes.

We all complained about the poor growing season – unusual weather, diseases, late ripening, etc…. Not sure why we were complaining though. We had over 90 varieties represented. And some of those 90 varieties had multiple showings.

Now for the awards.

The heaviest and largest, in circumference, went to the same tomato. Amy brought it. It’s the big yellow guy on the far right side of photo #4 (0327). I don’t have my notes with me and for the life of me I can’t remember the variety. But I do remember it weighed 2lbs ¼ oz and measured 17 and ¼ inched in circumference. That’s one big tomato.

Contrary to an accusation made in another thread the judging was above reproach. We had no chads, no ballot box stuffing and no hanky panky of any kind. In the past we gathered around at the end of the day a tasted nominations for tastiest and viewed the prettiest and ugliest contestants. Then we did a show of hands. We did things a little different this year. We did a ballot system. Write down the variety and grower in each category. What could be easier? It wasn’t really a secret ballot system since there were tomato juice finger prints on several of the forms.

There were about 4 or 5 varieties voted for in the Ugly category which was won by a Pruden’s Purple that I think was brought by Ray but once again the memory thing has hit me. The Prettiest and Tastiest categories each got about a dozen different variety votes. This year, for the first time in the 7 years we’ve been having this event I finally won an award. Actually I won two awards.

The Prettiest went to my Winsall (far right, third row down in the 5th photo – 0323). The Tastiest went to my Granny’s Yellow Red Butt (far left, second row down in the 4th photo) a variety Amy brought to the Plant Swap in the spring. It’s a Bi-color with guess what! A Red Butt (blossom end).

So there you have it. The 7th annual CHOPTAG Taste Fest is history. I hope everyone had a good time. I know I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0334.jpg (182.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0333.JPG (583.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0314.JPG (591.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0327.jpg (217.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0323.jpg (257.9 KB, 88 views)
Old August 18, 2008   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Great report there Jerry! Glad the day went so well. Looks like you had a great turnout and a big congrats on a sucessful event for the 7th year in a row!

Lee

P.S. I always thought Earl won the contests... you know, best tasting, heaviest, largest in circumfrence, ugliest....

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old August 18, 2008   #3
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I had a wonderful time yesterday and will be back next year! What a nice group of folks you all are. I did eat more than my fair share of tomato chunks Just so you know, I voted twice....I think that's only fair, since I sampled twice as many varieties as anyone else.
Probably the biggest surprise to me, since I've never been to a tomato tasting, was how different the same variety can taste, depending on where it's grown. I made notes on 10 varieties that I loved at the taste fest, and plan to grow out next year. It will be interesting to see of I like them as much growing in my garden.
A BIG thanks to Earl, who gave me one of the extra mystery #14 tomatoes to bring home and attempt to save seeds from for next year. And that funky looking pepper to try.
I am already looking forward to next year
Old August 19, 2008   #4
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

I sure wish I could have been there. But we did get our son moved over to college.

I was wondering besides the "Winners" what were some of the other favorites of everyone?

Duane
Old August 19, 2008   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I have my notes right in front of me. Stained up with tomato juice.. but still readable
1. Boxcar Willie-I grew this years ago and I'm not sure why I stopped. It really is a nice tomato. Packs a big punch in your mouth.
2. KBX- I brought KB and Jerry brought KBX. I was able to do a side by side taste test. The KBX had more intense flavor.
3. Granny's Yellow Red Butt- SWEET. Like a melon.
4. Purple Calabash- Smokey taste, lots of green gel. Medium sized.
5. JD Special C-Tex- A tie for my favorite tomato. The taste just exploded in my mouth.
6. Earl's Faux- Tied with the JD for my favorite. Great taste, plus it's just gorgeous to look at.
7. Dolly Partin- Huge tomato. Classic red. One slice would be perfect for a BLT
8. Eva's Purple Ball- Lots of flavor in a small package.
9. Tom's Yellow Wonder- Great tasting big yellow tomato.
10. Noir De Krime- Earl brought this. The flavor was outstanding. I'm not sure how this is different from Black Krim, since the name appears to be the same. I didn't get to ask him as I had too many tomatoes to taste

I remember well the send the child to college thing. Lots of stress getting them moved in. Now you can relax and just keep reaching into your wallet to pull more money out
Old August 19, 2008   #6
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Barbee,

You have to be real careful when tasting tomatoes from Earl. His special method of hole preparation give him a big head
start in the flavor category. I don't think there was one tomato I tasted from his table in 2005 that was not fabulous....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old August 19, 2008   #7
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Found my tally sheet.

Tastiest Vote getters:

3 votes and the winner:
Granny’s Yellow Red Butt

2 votes each:
Lucky Cross
Fred Limbaugh
Tee Mo Or
Green Giant

1 vote each:
Tiffen Mennonite
Cherokee Purple
Sylvan Gaume
Earl’s Faux
Brandywine (Sudduth)
Kentucky Pink Stamper
Purple Calabash
Cursio
JD’s Special C Tex
Old August 19, 2008   #8
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Hi. thanks so much for your hospitality! We came a bit unprepared, had our first get-together at our new house on Saturday, but brought one whole variety....

Of course, my first Caspian Pink will be ready this week...

Will be more prepared next year, and definitely take more notes! Thanks to everyone for the tomatoes, Barbee for the cookies, and the weather for being so beautiful!

Believe it or not, Im a bit crowdshy, I was wondering if name tags (real + screen name) could be done next year? (ill bring if its OK)
Old August 24, 2008   #9
tomatoaddict

I am so sorry I missed Choptag this year.
Sounds like it was a good time.