Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Gardening

Gardening is something we do that fulfills something deep inside of us. It isn't a means to survive for many of us, but it is for so many. Gardening is different than farming. Farming is to feed the masses, while gardening is a hobby for some, and a way to make a living for others. And yet, so many of us garden to be able to eat fresh fruit and vegetables, to watch flowers grow, and to see and experience things we know we are capable of doing.

I fight a nerve disease that makes me wake up every day wondering, "Why get up?" Then I think of the garden and I check in on Tomatoville while making coffee. Eventually, I get up and move around. I try to do everything I can. Today, I was able to harvest the onions. I'm proud of them because they grew through my lack of understanding the shading conditions in the new part of the garden and weeks of rain.

I talked to my wife of almost 31 years about how I have turned hobby gardening into a job in a way. I work at gardening like I did as a 7th generation mason. Yet, I forget things so easily now. She supports me 100%. I have over 400 varieties of tomatoes to grow, but she understands why I want to try some hybrid disease resistant tomato seeds we have to buy.

Gardening means so many different things to so many of us.

I wrote this thinking I wrote too much, but after reading it - I realize I left out way too much.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I can't stand any scenario where I know exactly what is going to happen. I need to have 101 wacky new varieties I got from seed swaps to make the garden interesting.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I fully agree with you, Robert.
As a retired senior, gardening is a refuge for me to keep my mind and body active. Sure I want to grow something that has a value but not for financial reasons.
So it is something like fishing, doing handcraft things. It is a rewarding and satisfying activity that involves anticipation and looking forward to it .

Gardeneer.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #4
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

GARDENING
"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden...But though an old man, I am but a young gardener."

(Jefferson to Charles W. Peale, August 20, 1811. Lipscomb, Andrew A. and Albert Ellery Bergh, ed. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Volume 13. Washington D.C.: Issued under the auspices of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Association of the United States, 1903-04, p. 79.)

You have been genetically programmed to garden, just like a labrodor retriever is programmed to fetch. Go with it and be happy.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #5
Bulldog
Tomatovillian™

I do think that getting outside in the sun! Seeing the green trees and plants, the blue sky, all of that is necessary. Digging around, planning, planting. Something less stressful to do after working all week.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #6
Sunflowerhill
Tomatovillian™

My parents gardened on and off as I was growing up and I didn't have a thing to do with it. I have gardened on and off over the past several years until about 7-8 years ago when I started gardening every summer. I am so totally hooked! I love to dig in the dirt and pinch suckers and fertilize... then I love the harvest.. and then I love sharing! I take bowls of garden goodies to church all throughout the summer. I also love to can and put quite a bit of the garden up each year. I just think I would feel so lost if I didn't have a garden to go and putter around in!
Old June 7, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

(I way overdid it yesterday, and my typing may not sound as coherent as usual for the next few days.)

There are a couple places that I share tomatoes with. One I knew about was sending tomatoes to work with my wife... Start over. My wife takes cherry tomatoes to work with her and she shares them with a lot of employees - it makes her feel good and we get a lot of compliments. It makes me feel good too.

Our oldest son shares the tomatoes we give him with the people he works with in law enforcement. It turns out that I've been feeding judges and lawyers and people who work to keep the area more safe. I didn't know that until a few weeks ago. Yet, I've been doing it for years.

I miss going to work - although I never thought of it as work. It was in my blood so-to-speak. Gardening and especially growing cherry tomatoes has taken its place - or at least part of it for me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

For me my garden is an oasis of functional beauty. It is a work of art that is always changing and trying to get bigger, better and more beautiful while also providing an abundance of food for my family, half the neighborhood, and a small farmers market.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #9
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Being in my garden (and yard) is a lot like being with my old faithful dog. They are both so therapeutic for me. I have always worked full time and until the last few years I didn't really have the time, patience, or frankly interest to garden. All of that has changed for me. I have now have a flexible work schedule and have found that I love being outdoors at my home 99% of the time when I don't have to be in my office. It is sooooooo relaxing to putter around the garden and yard.

My biggest regret is that I didn't pay enough attention to the lessons my dear Grandmother could have taught me while she was living. She was wise in all things, and held great knowledge about all things gardening (flowers and veggies).
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #10
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts. You don't get that type of disclosure in any form of "social media" very often and it is refreshing when you do.

I started doing it because I thought nothing beats a home grown tomato. That led to heirlooms and that became an obsession! They are demanding little children, but if you play it just right, give them tons of time and attention and are lucky enough to have weather cooperate, you get a pretty spectacular payday. It is one that is so great to share with family, friends and fellow tomato lovers!
That's probably mostly why it I do it, getting to eat something far superior to what you buy and seeing the enjoyment that others get from your efforts.

But, there is definitely something therapeutic about the act itself. Far before the first tomato, there is fulfillment in getting your fingers dirty. Some connection to the environment around us that is missing the digital world.

I'm thankful for the folks on here who clearly get that and probably have an experience that is somewhat similar and a connection to their friends and family that this endeavor brings. Take care.
Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure if I am a farmer or a gardener... I garden because I want to eat tasty food... but I farm because I wanted to remodel my kitchen... and I got/get to be a stay at home mom but can contribute financially and save money on food... I garden because I need to...it is in my bones, I guess... sun up to sun down almost every day. I started this morning with my rototiller to work up where I need to get in my last batch of tomatoes from there I went to each area of my very large front yard turned into garden and tilled between each row, I had a few customers and planted a row of celery, made supper only because we need to eat and went back out to plant more tomatoes. it is now dark and I can't see to garden any longer tonight. and I shot a skunk... I stunk up the whole neighborhood.
Old June 7, 2016   #12
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Who ever said gardening is too much work must not have enjoyed theirs. If it is something you like to do, it's not work; it's fun. Needless to say, I just love ❤ my garden and don't you be messing with it.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #13
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

I am the GM of a busy, full service hotel, i work min. 60 hours a week 6 days a week and I deal with an array of people that run the gamut. My garden never talks back, but begs me to listen, it says I know I look beautiful from that close, but get down on your hands and knees and really see what is going on. It says sure, you can wait another day, but why would you? And yet for all your efforts you still have to accept that things are out of your hands. Sorry for this... but my garden really Grounds me.
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #14
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

I'm probably the first the generation in part of my family to not grow up to be a farmer. After my dad stopped farming, he always kept a garden and I loved to follow him around and help him, he calls it his "therapy garden." I've adopted that and have had various plant projects through the years, and now that I can have a smallish garden, I do. I'm a young person with a demanding profession and every morning before I go to work, I visit my fruit trees and plants, it sets the mood for the day. Plus, having hard to find ingredients for cooking is a real plus--I tend to choose unusual varieties to grow because it makes me happy and I enjoy being able to make food from all over the world with the correct ingredients (which I then take to Work for lunch--more happiness in my day). Plus, we grew up eating from gardens and having produce that tastes right is a real luxury.

Last edited by MarianneW; June 7, 2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: I don't eat work for lunch...
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #15
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

For me it's just the happiness of growing a fragrant rose, the fun of pulling up a radish, the delicious scent of lemon verbena and my Meyer lemon tree, the peace and calm of my balcony garden means so much.
I envy your large gardens and bountiful harvests but I get my hands dirty too!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote