Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 19, 2006   #16
creister
Tomatovillian™

What a tragic tale. I'm sorry for your loss. 2,4,-D is nasty stuff. I know in Texas if you spray or burn and damage a neighbor's crops, you are liable to pay for it. Take the compensation. What idiot would spray in wind?

I talked with an extension guy here, and he told me that chemical weed and feed will send out vapors after wetting. He told me that this vapor was very bad for trees in the area if they had leaves. All those chemicals are nasty, nasty stuff. I only use organics in my yard. In fact, I had aphids real bad in the roses. One lady bug landed there, laid eggs, and now, no more aphids.

Wish I could mail you some plants, but I don't have any more.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2006   #17
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Default !Q!

Rena,

Adding my condolences along with the rest. It seems that, nowadays, you have to practically watch over the shoulders of workers to make sure they are doing what you want.

I had some tree work done here and the *&#$ workers didn't save two big trees for me that had to be cut down, for firewood...they ran them through the chipper machine... AFTER I had told them TWICE that I had a woodstove and needed all the tree limbs and trunk...

It's hard to start over but you will be glad you did later on.
Old April 19, 2006   #18
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

rough stuff Rena ....
Hope things turn
around for you ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2006   #19
fnsdo
Tomatovillian™

Rena- My condolences as well. One thing does not add up- between the EPA and the Ga dept of AG- there is so much regulation that the sprayer MUST have Material Safety Data Sheets and EPA forms for the compounds they use. The fact that they could not immediatley tell you what was used on the prior job,and what was used on your job adds up to either extreme negligence or a cover-up.
The reason to gather more info is both your personal and pl;ant safety going forward.
Cheers
Fred
Old April 19, 2006   #20
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Rena,
I am VERY sorry and cannot imagine how awful you feel!

I do like this...
Quote:
I can hear my Grandma from the grave SHOUTING, "THAT IS WHAT YOU GET for killing Mother Earth"! (She was a vegetarian who raised my Mom a vegetarian and was a teacher at an Indian reservation just because she wanted to give back. I come from a long line of Organic types and myself try to go as Organic as possible but fail in most areas as you can see
I too am a vegetarian, organic hippie, and I wouldn't dream of having chemicals anywhere near my property.
I have a solid "carpet" of yellow flowers where my lawn should be (dandelions) and my 3 year old daughter LOVES them!
All I know is she can eat out my garden all day long with no worries of toxicity.

I truly am sorry for your loss!!
Old April 20, 2006   #21
creister
Tomatovillian™

They do know what they sprayed. I used to work for the county agency the sprayed for mosquitoes. We always knew how much and what chemical we sprayed. You have to regulate sprayers based on the density of the liquid you are spraying. Now, I teach science at a middle school. We are required to have MSDS on any non food chemical used, even vinegar. State regulations.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2006   #22
soeur
Tomatovillian™

Rena,

So sorry about your tragedy. I echo others who urge you to report this. I'm a licensed applicator, and such errors should never happen if the applicator is following correct procedures. And 2,4-D is heavy duty stuff. The only thing I've EVER used it on is the extremely invasive, nearly-impossible-to-kill Euonymus fortunei (Wintercreeper), which laughs at RoundUp and its ilk. And I never use that tank for anything else, ever.

Don't know what varieties you were growing, and I sure can't replace 327 tomato plants, but I do have some extras if you want 'em. I'm not in on the cool seed trade circuit (except for Farkee, who sent me Sad Sac, and they're lookin good!), but you're welcome to what I have. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you a list of what I've got.