Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 3, 2010   #1
tulsanurse1
Tomatovillian™

Default Where is the most inexpensive place to purchase some grow bags?

I am gonna try and plant some potatoes if I can find an inexpensive grow bag. Should I be looking for a particular type of material? What else is important to look for when choosing a bag?
tulsanurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #2
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

I sew mine out of good grade landscaping fabric. It works great.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

It depends on what you call inexpensive, size and quantity your talking about. If you are going to do it as a experiment I would Try using a Smart Pot. I grew tomatoes in a 10 Gal SP with excellent results and the design and construction of the Smart Pot seems to be an ideal container to grow spuds. It is reusable and if the spud experiment doesn't work out use it for something else. I also have a dwarf nectarine growing in a 10 Gal SP. Here is a link. Ami

http://www.smartpots.com/growing-potatoes-in-containers
Old April 3, 2010   #4
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

watch out for grow bags advertised as "12 gallon". Sold in cases, these actually hold 5 1 gallon Costco milk jugs - that would be a 5 gallon bag in my world. Indeterminants grown in these bags require daily watering... gallons & gallons of water. They are good for peppers, basil & parsley though. Before buying, try to get a sample sent to make sure it'll meet your needs. I was bummed last year.
I am re-using many but the white plasticized fabric definitely gets frizzled in our sun & many ripped badly when we dumped them out last fall - not so ideal.
I doubt they'll be usable after this season (but I still have 100 or so left over from the case purchase).
I am using 15 & 30 gallon black plastic nursery pots I got for $1.50 & $3 apiece from a local nursery. More durable & I know from last year the peppers did fine in 5 gallon black plastic pots (& 5 gallon kitty litter buckets & green 5 gallon pickle buckets...)
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote