Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 1 Day Ago   #7381
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Lol, it is Imp! Kind a cross between a tomato sandwich and a bruschetta, lol. When I don't feel like cooking it is fast and easy, and goes in the toaster oven, so it doesn't heat up the kitchen.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7382
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Lol, it is Imp! Kind a cross between a tomato sandwich and a bruschetta, lol. When I don't feel like cooking it is fast and easy, and goes in the toaster oven, so it doesn't heat up the kitchen.

Sounds like a good recipe to me, plus you don't get the kitchen all hotted up. May try it out as our temps are going back up again, <sigh>. Sounds like it would be good as a side sandwich with some good tomato soup, too, in cooler weather.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7383
bower
Tomatovillian™

I've been on sandwich suppers too, during the hot weather. But we've cooled off now for a couple of days, and yesterday had the best meal I've had in a really, really long time.
My BFF came over with her one year old daughter, bringing a beautiful Romanesco zucchini, a bag of primo lettuce (mine has all bolted!) a bunch of cilantro and a bottle of Pinot Noir.
We took a wee stroll in the woods and picked a few handfuls of golden chanterelles. Then we had a glass of wine while we prepared our supper.
I had a pork tenderloin (very cheap) which I slathered in marinade of fresh garlic, thyme from the garden, cumin, coriander, salt pepper lemon juice. And threw some chopped potatoes in with that.
She made a chimichurri from the cilantro, with our first jalapeno pepper, green onions, oregano and parsely from the garden.
I cut my basil and made pesto with fresh garlic (lots of fresh garlic in this meal!), boiled some bowtie pasta, and chopped some baby leek, scapes, and fresh tomatoes into that.
She fried up the chanterelles with the zucchini and baby leeks, and a Jimmy Nardello.
And I made a dressing for the green salad (with tomatoes too of course!), more garlic and herbs from the garden.
All the while her sweet little one year old daughter sat contentedly on the kitchen counter, chewing on a raw clove of garlic and various other raw ingredients we gave her to sample, all smiles.
All so delicious and such a great way to spend an afternoon.
Of course, I'm having leftovers for supper.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7384
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Last night it was leftover stouffers lasagna with creamed style corn mixed in to make it stretch.
No I'm not making this up, I really ate it.
I am not picky when I am hungry.

Tonight I will have a giant baked potato and a chuck steak roast thing cooked in a skillet.
The store was a mad house and I almost lost a finger while reaching for the meat.
Before that I will have tortilla chips and salsa dip stuff.
did manage to restock on chili powder about two pounds worth I was down to 1/2 pound.
I go through about 8 to10 pounds a year.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7385
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Pizza soup. I had to think about it for a while. The ingredients on a pizza all agree with soups. I personally don't like wet bread, but the sauce and toppings would go well in a soup.
But Pizza, why would you turn it into something else?

I seem to remember some cultures re purposing stale foods into a different food product. In other cases, they purposely allow foods to become stale before they consume them. In other cultures, they have "never ending pots" which keep receiving leftover foods instead of tossing the leftovers. Every day, the pot is a different concoction. Today, it is a stew, tomorrow; it is a soup. The next day, it is a sauce. Then it becomes a stew again when some meat and veggies are tossed in. I don't know if I would ever get used to eating a lot of fermented foods like fermented sea foods and other meats. It is more common for me to eat fermented vegetables. I admire people who don't allow foods to become waste. I read recently that Americans waste 25% of the foods we purchase. With pizza soup, I can imagine the bread as the thickening agent while everything else are common soup ingredients. Possibly add some potato to it.

Last edited by DonDuck; 1 Day Ago at 03:43 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7386
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You could set a pepperoni cheese pizza out in the driveway or hung from a tree and it wouldn't go bad.
The coons might get it but it wont go bad.
You cant have french onion soup ((peasant food)) without stale hard bread.
Old 1 Day Ago   #7387
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

French onion soup and Lobster two of my favorite foods that used to Peasant foods.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7388
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Coming up steak and Tacato.
Pan fried steak in chili butter.

Baked potato with innards removed mixed with onion, chili butter, salt.
Put hull back in oven to crisp up

Put back in hull topped with onion, cheddar cheese, sour cream, pickled jalapeno and tortilla chips.

>>>Tacato<<<

Worth
Old 1 Day Ago   #7389
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Tacato.

IMG_20180819_12214.jpg

IMG_20180819_23147.jpg
Old 22 Hours Ago   #7390
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I've been on sandwich suppers too, during the hot weather. But we've cooled off now for a couple of days, and yesterday had the best meal I've had in a really, really long time.
My BFF came over with her one year old daughter, bringing a beautiful Romanesco zucchini, a bag of primo lettuce (mine has all bolted!) a bunch of cilantro and a bottle of Pinot Noir.
We took a wee stroll in the woods and picked a few handfuls of golden chanterelles. Then we had a glass of wine while we prepared our supper.
I had a pork tenderloin (very cheap) which I slathered in marinade of fresh garlic, thyme from the garden, cumin, coriander, salt pepper lemon juice. And threw some chopped potatoes in with that.
She made a chimichurri from the cilantro, with our first jalapeno pepper, green onions, oregano and parsely from the garden.
I cut my basil and made pesto with fresh garlic (lots of fresh garlic in this meal!), boiled some bowtie pasta, and chopped some baby leek, scapes, and fresh tomatoes into that.
She fried up the chanterelles with the zucchini and baby leeks, and a Jimmy Nardello.
And I made a dressing for the green salad (with tomatoes too of course!), more garlic and herbs from the garden.
All the while her sweet little one year old daughter sat contentedly on the kitchen counter, chewing on a raw clove of garlic and various other raw ingredients we gave her to sample, all smiles.
All so delicious and such a great way to spend an afternoon.
Of course, I'm having leftovers for supper.

Sounds like not only a really good meal, but a lovely afternoon and evening. Good friends can make a big difference and bring a contentment to fixing a shared meal, too. Love it when a child gets to try new and different forms of foods.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Hours Ago   #7391
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

We went to a friends house for dinner last night and twenty people showed up. The dinner was supposed to be a "taco" meal with everyone bringing different components of tacos. You can't trust people to do what they are asked to do. Everyone who showed up brought a taco component plus two or three other favorite items. The meal went from being a taco dinner to a burrito dinner with flour and corn tortillas. It would have been impossible to get all the different delicious components into a taco shell. We had many different salads, beans, meats; and desserts including banana pudding. Funny thing about friends, they rarely do what they are asked to do. They always seem to do more.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Hours Ago   #7392
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A friend invited everyone over for BBQ.
We all got there and he though he was going to turn it into a barbed wire fence building party.
We told him to go fly a kite.
Old 2 Hours Ago   #7393
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Tilapia and roasted brussels sprouts here. Cut the sprouts in half, toss with oil, salt, & pepper, then put in the oven.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote