Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 2, 2015   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Grow Light Timer

Hello,

This year we are planning on visiting some family during seed starting season. I'm going to have somebody come and water seedlings while we are gone, but I'm going to need a timer for the grow lights. I have a single grow light and don't need anything fancy, but there are a variety of timers available. Does anybody have one they use and would recommend?

Thanks,
Justin
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I use 2 of the cheapest one money can buy. The old style with the dial and buttons that you click down according to how long the lights are to stay on. It is the cheapest one at lowes and was 6 or 7 bucks. I have had them fir 3 seasons now without fail. two of them handle 4 flourowing grow lights and two fans with no problem. I like timers that are simple without digital readouts that go bad all the time.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2015   #3
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Default Grow Light Timer

I've been using these for several years to control both lights and fans. Claud

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-7-Day-...5077/100685866

4 outlets are programable, 4 controlled by the switch. I use one to turn the lights on at 5AM and off at 8Pm and another to turn fans on at 6AM - 8AM - 10AM - noon - 2PM - 4PM - 6PM - 8PM for 15 minutes each day of the week.

Last edited by saltmarsh; January 2, 2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: add more info
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2015   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I, too, have the cheap kind where you press down the "on" time buttons. I've had mine for many years and they still work. I used one outdoors for my Christmas lights this year, too.
Old January 2, 2015   #5
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

This is the Grow light timer I have used for the last few years. My first one came from Lowe's but I needed another for a different set of grow lights last summer and found this two pack on sale at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-Dai...4?N=5yc1vZc334

The only thing to remember is that if your light cord that you are planning to plug into the timer is 3 pronged you must get an adapter since the timer has only a two prong outlet on the side. I plug in a 6 outlet strip into it because it connects to a 6 light system so need the adaptor which is cheap. These are really price worthy and have worked just fine for me. They are not hard to program. I actually found them in the store but they can also be ordered and then picked up.

The one Saltmarsh is recommending looks interesting if you have multiple lights or fixtures to control.
Good luck!
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2015   #6
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

I also use the cheap kind that Heirloomtomaguy and Shelleybean mentioned. I have used it several years with no problems.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The old rotary timers are bullet puff.
I got mine years ago from Home Depot I don't know how makes it but it is orange and white.
It can also handle plenty of amps or watts.
They is the important thing how much your lights draw and how much your timer can handle.
If you get a cheap timer that cant handle the amount of current the lights draw they can start a fire or burn the timer up.

There are simple watts to amps conversion calculators on line to do this if the timer says amps and the lights say watts.
All you have to do is enter volts and watts to get amps.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2015   #8
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like many of you have had good experiences with basic cheap analog timers and that's the route I'll probably go, especially with only 1 fixture to worry about.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2015   #9
maccherone
Tomatovillian™

Great Idea shealleybean!! For the cristmass light, I hadn't never thought. :-)
maccherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2015   #10
elight
Tomatovillian™

Here's the timer that I use, from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-timer-95207.html

If you have a HF nearby, it's hard to beat the price. And of course there's always a 15-25% off coupon floating around (Google it if you don't get them mailed to you or in a newspaper/magazine).

The timer has worked well for me and has two 3-pronged outlets, which is good, because I have two shop lights that use 3-pronged plugs. Most of the really cheap timers only take two prongs, although the previously posted power strip certainly looks like a good solution if you need more than two outlets.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2015   #11
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I use 2 of the cheapest one money can buy. The old style with the dial and buttons that you click down according to how long the lights are to stay on. It is the cheapest one at lowes and was 6 or 7 bucks. I have had them fir 3 seasons now without fail. two of them handle 4 flourowing grow lights and two fans with no problem. I like timers that are simple without digital readouts that go bad all the time.

I use the same one, works great!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2015   #12
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I have three of the cheap dial ones -- two for the plant lights and one for the sound machine in our bedroom (set to shut off just before the alarm clock goes off). They are all about four years old and still ticking. However, the "ticking" sound is starting to get annoying, so for the sound machine I just ordered the one that Harbor Freight sells (but under a different name). We haven't programmed and installed it yet, but the reviews for it were decent.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote