Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

View Poll Results: Preference for a tomato with a bite.
Yes, give me bite or give me death. 23 16.08%
Yes, prefer that but want other sweet tomatoes to go along with that. 86 60.14%
Maybe one variety with bite, but prefer other varieties. 26 18.18%
No, would prefer a slow death of stink bugs then to have any with a bite. 8 5.59%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 8, 2014   #31
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I haven't unfortunately grown any of the three. I've grown Lilian's Yellow Heirloom, Taxi, Coyote, Yellow Current, Yellow Pear, Jubilee, Gold Nugget, and others. They were all good. Yellow Pear was a little odd with a tough skin and a soft interior, but I fell in love with the shape.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #32
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

KBX is the best to me to date. Growing Aunt Gertie's Gold this summer.
Old April 8, 2014   #33
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
Bite is or the word Carolyn uses assertive is probable a better word than acid. Full flavor seems like a good description also. The trouble with the term acid is that, with a very few exceptions tomatoes don't vary much in acidity at all. It's the sugar content that varies.

My favorite tomato is a yellow or orange one.
That bite surely does a number on my lips, throat and stomach. Whereas others that have less "BITE" don't.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #34
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I chose "Maybe one variety with bite, but prefer other varieties". Because tart tomatoes don't appeal to me much. I love tart plums, and tart apples, and a good tart lemon. I prefer my tomatoes to be sweet. But I wouldn't care to do away with all tart tomatoes because that would be boring. How can I fully appreciate a sweet tomato if I never experience a tart one?
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #35
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
Bite is or the word Carolyn uses assertive is probable a better word than acid. Full flavor seems like a good description also. The trouble with the term acid is that, with a very few exceptions tomatoes don't vary much in acidity at all. It's the sugar content that varies.

My favorite tomato is a yellow or orange one.
I've noticed that tomato preferences seem to be slightly regional with orange and yellow tomatoes mainly in the east and north, black or pink/purple more in the south and west. Reds seem to be popular throughout, just depending on variety.
Could it also be the difference in amount of assertiveness of flavors that different regions prefer? I know people from MN that think ketchup, salt and pepper are the only necessary spices and can't even tolerate the smallest amount of chile pepper. Folks around AZ and CO, where I grew up seemed to prefer hot, spicy and assertive flavors.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #36
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I like a real good bite, in fact, I belong to the very exclusive club of T'Villians that actually LIKE Silvery Fir Tree! Last year I planted almost all reds with that "real tomato" flavor. After a while I got sick of it and wished I had also planted some pinks. This year, I tried to mix it up a bit.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #37
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

apparently we are never to old to learn. What I was taking as acidity was my own reaction in the form of burning , blisters, and then even more burning.

"An allergic reaction to tomatoes is often the result of oral allergy syndrome, according to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. The institute says hay fever sufferers are most at risk from the syndrome due to a cross-reactivity between plant proteins and similar proteins found in fruits and vegetables. The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia says symptoms mainly occur at the point of contact and include swollen lips, blisters in your mouth or throat, and itching or irritation to the affected area "
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #38
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I've noticed that tomato preferences seem to be slightly regional with orange and yellow tomatoes mainly in the east and north, black or pink/purple more in the south and west. Reds seem to be popular throughout, just depending on variety.
Could it also be the difference in amount of assertiveness of flavors that different regions prefer? I know people from MN that think ketchup, salt and pepper are the only necessary spices and can't even tolerate the smallest amount of chile pepper. Folks around AZ and CO, where I grew up seemed to prefer hot, spicy and assertive flavors.
I'm surprised that the NE is the strong hold of yellow and orange tomatoes given the large Italian population we have or had. I know that I'd never seen a hot pepper until I was in my twenties.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote