Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 1, 2006   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Can anyone supply information on these three varieties

I have recently recieved three (new to me ) varieties in trades etc, of which I know absolutly nothing about.

If anyone could point me in the right direction to clear written descriptions plus Hopefully photo images of the actual tomatoes /plants etc, I would be eternaly gratefull.

1/ Vorlon
2/ Parker Hatlee
3/ Stick (normal stick not the motant one )
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2006   #2
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I tasted both Vorlon and Stick last summer at the NORCATT tomato tasting. I thought Vorlon was very yummy. I was surprised by Stick as I was expecting NOT to like it. I thought it was good too.

Corona~Barb
coronabarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Michael,

Parker Hatlee is a somewhat obscure variety that I introduced and first listed at SSE in the mid-90's. It's a typical long red variety much like Opalka in shape. Taste is pretty good. Parker was a friend of my father, and from whom I got the seeds. Not much of a following in terms of relisting, but I know Craig has also grown it and I think remembering he said he liked it.

I'm not sure what you mean by not the mutant Stick, b/c Stick is a mutant. One of the strangest varieties I've ever grown . It grows straight up and has bunches of leaves so that it looks like a poodle. LOL Fruits are small reds and taste isn't all that bad. A real curiosity and grown primarily for novelty purposes.

I have a problem here b'c being an AOL user I'm now using Internet Explorer to post here and off hand I don't remember Craig's website where I'm pretty sure he must have a picture of Stick, and I know others who post here do as well b/c seeds for it were generously passed around two years ago by several GW members who grew it.

So I'm assuming that one of those Stick people, ahem, will stop by and can give you a picture of it.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2006   #4
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Grew Vorlon in 2003. Notes indicate PL, GDD: 1600 mid-late. Good production of 7-10 oz. tomatoes with B taste – not the depth of Cherokee Purple. Very nice looking tomato – blemish free, fairly healthy plant, a black with clear skin. On my grow list for this year.

Here’s a picture from a scan from a picture saved from Jeff McCormick’s old site:

And a few more info bits from that site:

Cherokee Purple/Pruden’s Purple cross ME FI J 99 Joe Fisher, Winterport, ME Prolific.
Old February 1, 2006   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

That was Jeff Nekola's site, not Jeff McCormack (does anyone have that site backed up somewhere? Were loads of good pictures...shame it went down).

I do have a pic of Stick on my site -

http://nctomatoman.topcities.com

It is fascinating to grow, not all that wonderful to eat, however....

Parker Hatlee - a nice long paste, to me no better or worse than many other similar types - Gallo Plum, Rinaldo, Bull Sac, Niemeyer, Opalka, etc. Excellent flavor fresh as well as cooked, which separates all of these from the dry, tasteless (relatively speaking) Determinate Roma types.
Old February 1, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Craig,

D posted at GW that she had most of the text of Jeff Nekola's old site but was missing some pictures, but I don't think she ever gave a link.

D, did you?

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2006   #7
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for the interesting replies it was most helpfull at least now I know what they actualy look like.

The only reason I mentioned (stick) mutant variety is because I thought I read somewhere in an earlier post where Craig said there was a mutant variety of (Stick ) available from Bully, Perhaps I didnt read it correctly.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2006   #8
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Good grief, late for work. Love this new site!

Will respond later.
Old February 1, 2006   #9
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Michael, yes - am growing out the mutant Stick this year (Stick itself is sort of a mutant - so a mutant of a mutant!). Bully - what sort of fruit did the mutant Stick put out?
Old February 1, 2006   #10
bully
Tomatovillian™

baby stick

all grown up
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2006   #11
bully
Tomatovillian™

mutant stick aka curless curl had fruit similar to stick but with a different flavor, hard to describe..earthy?

did you see the size of the seeds, Craig?
They were the largest I have seen, they were as big as pepper seeds yet the fruit was not much bigger than a large cherry..salad I would say.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2006   #12
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

Thanks for the catch - of course Jeff Nekola - next time I'll wait til I've finished my first cup of coffee before attempting posts

Anyhoo, here is the link I found on the WayBack Machine - a good portion of Jeff's site ..... wish I had it all!! I thought I had saved a few more pages with pictures, but went back to my computer and they are all gone. Perhaps someone with better computer skills would be able to pull it all together???

Here's the start

http://web.archive.org/web/200308180.../tomatoesA.htm