Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 4, 2014   #1
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Default a list of ox hearts

So I've been browsing around and Ive been seeing ox hearts listed and some are really appetizing and beautiful, But I've also noticed what looks to be beef steak types. Can I get everyone's thoughts and onions on ox heart tons what just look tasty And those that are exceptional?

Gaston
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #2
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Epsilon..you don't mention your experience level, but I will tell you that hearts
are my favorites as far a shape is concerned. Brad's black heart is a great one'
and I will try to get back here with some other favorites. Seems like I recall
Carolyn saying that Oxhearts were also her favorites. Usually a lot of meat and
not too much gel.

I wish I knew your experience level as I might be expressing an opinion to
a 40 yr. veteran commercial tomato grower that grows 8000 plants every year
and teaches horticulture at Humbolt State Univ. Given that scenario, I might
feel downright foolish.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #3
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

It's me! I am back.

Kosovo....is a great heart and, IMHO, the very best tomato for a BLT as it has
great tomato flavor and doesn't make your BLT all sloppy and soggy.

Reif Red Heart is another good one to try.

If my guess is right, the Villians will chime in with a bunch of their faves in the
way of hearts. I will be growing about 20 hearts in Canada this summer, so I
am anxous to hear their opinions (even though they aren't as valuable as mine)
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #4
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Fishlake Oxheart for the first time this Year (Thanks again Ginger2778!)
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

There are threads here about favorite tomatoes, favorite oxhearts, favorite beefsteaks, etc., and the following oxhearts (and others) also have their fans: Anna Russian, Donskoi, Fish Lake Oxheart*, Granny's Heart, Hays' Tomato*, Indiana Red, Joe's Pink Oxheart, Kosovo, Kukla's Portuguese Heart, Linnie's Oxheart, Mayo's Delight, Mazarini, Orange Minsk Heart, Orange Russian 117, Wes, etc.

(*'d varieties are my personal faves so far but every year I grow lots of new hearts to see if there are others that taste and perform better in my garden.)

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #6
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I like Wes.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #7
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Alpine

I'm actually quite novice in terms of tomato growing, so express away. . Though I do have a number of years in growing difficult to manage flowering plants. I have maybe three years in this area of garden culture. But I the have time to learn so my curve can be a little less hockey stickish. My primary experience is growing pastes and a beef steak here and there.

I really liked the description of brads blackheart. I also happened across brads rusty heart not to Long ago. So I'll take that as a vote for both.

Also Kosovo has crossed my Tomadar several times in the recent past so I'll add that one to the list as well

I haven't seen many offerings for reif red heart I'll be visiting Tania's tbase soon.

Stvrob

i think I remember seeing that mentioned in several posts on my recent site search, I'll be looking into that one as well sing that its mentioned highly.

Kath

Before creating a new thread I did search but didn't think to use the word favorite. Instead I searched for lists of expecting the search engine to read my mind

But I'm very appreciative of the list that you shared as that will give me an ample start to my search.

In retrospect i probably should have disclosed my growing experience, because now I'm getting a healthy dose of paranoia. Are they more prone to disease? Or more finicky when it comes to growing conditions? should I stick to pastes? and try to curb the tomato addiction?
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #8
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I assume that oxhearts are no easier or more difficult to grow than other types?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

As interesting trivia, you can combine the fasciated gene with the heart shape gene and when you do, you get a super large meaty fat heart shaped tomato. Tastiheart is an example.

While I love growing heart shaped tomatoes, they have low seed counts. They often carry the wilty gene which tends to make the foliage very susceptible to fungal diseases. I don't usually get more than 8 to 10 tomatoes per plant.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
As interesting trivia, you can combine the fasciated gene with the heart shape gene and when you do, you get a super large meaty fat heart shaped tomato. Tastiheart is an example.

While I love growing heart shaped tomatoes, they have low seed counts. They often carry the wilty gene which tends to make the foliage very susceptible to fungal diseases. I don't usually get more than 8 to 10 tomatoes per plant.
Darrel, it was Chuck Wyatt who first referred to the wilty gene when referring to the narrow dissected leaves that most, but not all heart shaped varieties have that makes the foliage look wilted.

But I later found out that the wilt gene determines how quickly ANY variety recovers from wilting when given water.

I searched in my faves for that link and couldn't find it, no doubt b/c I have about 2,000 items in my faves, and just searched Google and couldn't find it either.

But I know it started with Chuck many years ago referring just to most heart types.

Carolyn, dedicated lover of heart varieties.
Old April 5, 2014   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have to say that Kosovo is probably the most dependable moderately large heart I have grown and the taste is good. It is an early tomato for me and produces an abundance of one pound fruits.

My favorite hands down is Donskoi because it is much juicier than most oxhearts and has a more robust flavor. It is more stingy but I usually get between 8 and 12 good fruit off of it and I have gotten some as large as 2 pounds.

Anna Russian is a very prolific producer of good tasting hearts but they are not quite as large as Kosovo for me but make up for it with numbers and good ability to set in the heat. Fish Lake Oxheart is one of my other favorites and it is even earlier than Kosovo which is usually one of my first full size tomatoes to have ripe fruit.

If you want to grow some monster hearts then give Gildo Pietroboni and Hungarian Heart a try. I got some 2 pounders off both but the flavor like so many hearts is just too bland for my taste. I have had great production from Linnies Oxheart, Wes, German Red Strawberry and Olyers German. If you prefer mild tomatoes then you should love many of the heart varieties and they are terrific for sauce tomatoes because it takes so little cooking down to achieve a thick sauce.

I have never been able to grow Brad's Blackheart because it seems to be very susceptible to fusarium wilt which is a real problem in my soil. I have heard it is a terrific heart and maybe I'll get to grow some one day with grafting. This year I have successfully grafted Fish Lake Oxheart, Kosovo, Anna Russian and Donskoi and I am looking forward to seeing how the grafted plants perform. Last year I only succeeded in grafting two hearts so I am looking forward to a few more this year.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #12
taboule
Tomatovillian™

I grew Coeur de Boeuf last year, colleague brought seeds from France. It doesn't look like any pics i see on Google, but more like a heart than anything else. Thin foliage, not the heaviest producer, but very tasty. The biggest one came close to a pound. Pics below.

Trying Fish Lake Oxheart that Marsha sent me this year.(edit: pics below are of the CdB French oxheart)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDB_green.jpg (174.9 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg CDB_1.jpg (183.9 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg CDBx2-GQx1.jpg (145.8 KB, 282 views)

Last edited by taboule; April 5, 2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Clarify pics are of CdB
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hey Stvrob and Taboule, you both made me feel great! Thank you.
This year I grew/ am still growing grightmire's pride, which is incredible BTW,Gregori's Altai, Wes, Fish Lake Oxheart, Rozovyi Myod,and Striped Sweetheart. There isn't a dud in the bunch. Wes and GA were blunt hearts, Wes was a beautiful, large, prolific red heart, RM was nice, maybe a little more bland, got a 1&1/4 lb fruit, several around a pound, then smaller 6 oz ones later. SS gives gorgeous 3oz or less red with green and golden stripes, wonderful intense small fruit flavor, lots of fruits, my favorites were FLO, and GP, both had really good disease resistance, incredible flavor, medium large very heart shaped pink fruit(FLO is supposed to be red, but I don't know of anyone who has gotten red color personally), both were really prolific, and are getting a 3rd round of fruit on them, which I figure is my garden's last hurrah!
Epsilon, PM me if you want some seeds. Also, my seed offer is still open in the available for trade forum.
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
I grew Coeur de Boeuf last year, colleague brought seeds from France. It doesn't look like any pics i see on Google, but more like a heart than anything else. Thin foliage, not the heaviest producer, but very tasty. The biggest one came close to a pound.

Trying Fish Lake Oxheart that Marsha sent me this year.
Taboule, is that FLO in the pictures? And is it red? That is exciting if true!

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #15
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Old reliable favorites that I have on every years list are German Red Strawberry and Monkeys (Butt). I really like hearts and have some newer to me varieties I love. Alice's Egypt, Pink Honey, Tsar Kolokol and Gildo Pietroboni are among them. Last years surprise was Hoy. In our cool wet summer, he really shined. I think of hearts as the proverbial multi use tomato. Love them fresh, but also add them to my sauce.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote