Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 1, 2018   #421
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

jms, good looking plants! I have a 73X Fuzzy F4-3 X Baby Girl that is very small for it's age and looks more like a caterpillar wonder if i got the 2 types mixed Dan sent me 2 different 73X and this appears to be the mmf ? I hope i did not screw up the #'s
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuzzy #73X Maybe MMF.jpg (279.5 KB, 185 views)
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #422
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Korney put some of the dwarf phenotypes in post #277 it's possible:

dm, dwarf modifier

Allele name:
Synonym of Allele: d2
Mutant type: Spontaneous
Phenotype: Causes extreme dwarfing.
Phenotype Details
Phenotypic Category: Plant habit or size
Is primary phenotype for this gene? Yes p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }a:link { }
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #423
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Very nice fuzzy little guy! Hope it makes some tasty fruits!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #424
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I started some of Dan's seeds on 2/15. Here are pictures on 3/8. (this is my first time trying to post pics here) I am growing 51 F3, 51 F 4, 46 F4 and 33 F4. I did the first cull today-so hard to cut the tallest babies and rather counterintuitive!

In comparing them all, the 51's-both F3 and F4 are smaller than the other two varieties. Also, maybe you can see but in just one cell the leaves are all more yellow. I am not sure why this is happening. The same seeds are in the cell behind it and they are not yellower. Any ideas? As I have never done this before, do these look ok? Any advice moving forward?

Thanks,
Heide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1110.jpg (514.7 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1114.jpg (306.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1116.jpg (487.4 KB, 151 views)
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #425
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Sorry- not sure why the files uploaded sideways?
Old March 9, 2018   #426
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Easily fixed...

Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #427
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
I started some of Dan's seeds on 2/15. Here are pictures on 3/8. (this is my first time trying to post pics here) I am growing 51 F3, 51 F 4, 46 F4 and 33 F4. I did the first cull today-so hard to cut the tallest babies and rather counterintuitive!

In comparing them all, the 51's-both F3 and F4 are smaller than the other two varieties. Also, maybe you can see but in just one cell the leaves are all more yellow. I am not sure why this is happening. The same seeds are in the cell behind it and they are not yellower. Any ideas? As I have never done this before, do these look ok? Any advice moving forward?

Thanks,
Heide
It looks to me like the yellowed cotyledons are in the 46X seedlings. A couple of times I have had trays of seedlings where the cotyledons of one group of seedlings gradually yellowed. By the time I potted them up, they were very yellow – not shriveled, just yellow. The true leaves were normal. Only the cotyledons were yellow. 46X was one of the varieties with the yellowed cotyledons.

At the time, I almost posted a thread asking if there was a possible connection between yellow cotyledons and yellow fruit at maturity. Unfortunately, it occurred at a time that, due to a number of things, I wasn’t able to follow up as closely as I would have liked to. I don’t know whether those with the yellow cotyledons all ended up with yellow fruit. I do know that some did and both varieties with the yellow cotyledons had yellow fruit in their pedigree and the potential for yellow fruit. 46X was one of those varieties with the yellowed cotyledons.

I don't know if there could be a connection, but I found the idea intriguing. It would sure be a great way to identify yellow-fruited plants early in the growth cycle. If they remain healthy follow them through and see if the fruit comes yellow. Also, let us know if those plants remain healthy looking except for cotyledon color.

That particular F4 seed came from an F3 plant that had red fruit - with the potential of yellow offspring.

Keep us posted....
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #428
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Geez. This thread is 26 pages and going on for ever.
Amazing. You haven,t figured out yet what to grow

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #429
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks AL@NC for fixing my pics!
I will keep you posted Dan as things progress.
Heide
Old March 12, 2018   #430
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Hi hl2601, here are my 33X and 51X planted 2/15/2018
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33-f4.jpg (332.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 51-f4.jpg (366.6 KB, 106 views)
Old March 12, 2018   #431
PotGarden
Tomatovillian™

Pete, those look great! I'll soon be growing some, too!
PotGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #432
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Pete- How fun to be growing out the same vials at the same time. Thx for sharing your pics so I can compare. Yours look fantastic and healthy. Are you close to getting some flowers? These plants are so small compared to the regular tomatoes, their size is throwing me a bit. How many plants of each variety made it through the cull? Are your 33's super carroty/whispy? I think Dan said he was trying for that trait and boy are mine whispy at this point at least! Are you putting two to a cup and then culling further when you see if they are multiflora? Just trying to determine my next step!
Thanks,
Heide
Old March 12, 2018   #433
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Pete- ... How many plants of each variety made it through the cull? ....

Thanks,
Heide
I probably need to clarify a couple of things. The massive culling - especially for height - that I have a tendency to go on about is very important at the F2 & F3 generation. It diminishes in later generations. I still cull fairly heavily in the later generations, but primarily for the 'stockiness' of the stems and overall 'robustness' of the plant. By the time they are at F5 and later, they are mostly the same height. I still go with the shortest, 'stockiest' plants.

Some folks who have read my emphasis on planting lots and culling heavily and planted F4 or F5 seed probably scratch their heads and wonder what the heck I was going on about.
Old March 12, 2018   #434
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there a specific name for this leaf type?

Quote:
Pete- .... Are your 33's super carroty/whispy? I think Dan said he was trying for that trait and boy are mine whispy at this point at least! ....
Thanks,
Heide
I looked up Silvery Fir Tree online and in seven sites found its leaf type referred to as carrot like, fern like, delicate, ferny, lacy and decorative. In the tomato world, there are Potato leaf and Regular leaf and rugose varieties of each of those leaf types.

Wispy means fine or feathery and would normally fit here. However, my understanding is that 'wispy' leaf in tomatoes refers to plants that that have a droopy, almost wilty look to them and are quite often found in con★★★★★★★★ with heart-shaped fruit. These definitely lack a droopy wilty look. I don't have time to search, but I believe Carolyn has a soft spot for wispy leafed hearts.

Are there other leaf types?

Are there any other tomatoes besides Silvery Fir Tree with this leaf structure? We are about to have some stable micros with it. I have referred to it as carrot leaf and fine leaf. Is there already an accepted name?

If not....?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33X-F3s.jpg (329.9 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 33X-F3s2.jpg (327.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 33X F4 1 1 1-1.jpg (426.8 KB, 85 views)
Old March 13, 2018   #435
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Yes Heidi, it is fun to grow the same to compare. My #3 is the carrot type leaf of Dan's #33 . It is the Berkeley Tie Dye/ Pork Chop I believe. I would swear by looking closely that there are flowers near but seem to be just more tiny carrot type leaves forming. Still cold here - flurries today, not much sun so a lot of lights on the plants. I started using dilute MG now MG Blossom w/nutrients, kelp, rock, etc.
this is my first yr. to grow these micro's and am trying to find what will work best for me this next winter - i guess i'll start them in Aug???
I have like 100+ plants and have started to give away some keeping track who got what I have to start my outdoor seeds in 3 weeks where will i put 'em all..............

i have culled few and intend to stick 'em outside in 6 weeks - I hope they will stay in cups for awhile

my #6 is Dan's #51

Last edited by tryno12; March 13, 2018 at 12:39 AM.