Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 18, 2015   #1
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Default Fingerling potatoes, best variety?

wondering what are the best varieties to try in central Illinois? I know it's a little late
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The Russian Banana fingerling potato is the one I wanted to plant, but I never found it. It is recommended for growing in my area in Texas. I did many searches for central Illinois, but didn't find anything useful. I even looked up fingerling potatoes for Chicago and still didn't find anything useful.

Everything I've read about Russian Banana fingerling potatoes - sounds really good. Buttery tasting with a waxy skin.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2015   #3
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I go to Madison WI every once in a while to visit, they have an awesome farmers market on the square downtown on Saturdays... Always have a nice selection of fingerlings, but by that time it is way to late to plant them here... and I haven't had any luck keeping any over winter. Any good sources of seed fingerlings would greatly be appreciated.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2015   #4
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

In southeastern Wisconsin, I have grown Banana, Magic Molly and French Fingerling, all bought from Fedco. The one that produced the most for me was Banana, then FF and then Magic Molly. All were very tasty and I will be growing them all again this year.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #5
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Amazing harvest from one hill of French Fingerling last year - one small potato purchased as local farmer's market used as seed - these are nice roasted

http://pnwtomatoes.blogspot.ca/2014/...5s-bounty.html
Old March 19, 2015   #6
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I've grown a dozen, Ozette, Banana, etc. I give high marks to Russian Banana for texture and flavor, but production is about half what I expect from La Ratte. I also love the flavor and testure of French Fingerling. My vote would be to grow La Ratte and French Fingerling.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #7
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I never grew potatoes before so this year is the first year, and i have to grow them in a root pouch as I have no more room in ground. My wife said i should grow finerlings, but I already ordered some Yukon Golds. I'll try them next year. I grow garlic and was thinking of growing Ozette, which is sold at the nursery i buy garlic from
http://www.filareefarm.com/seed-garl...ng-Potato.html

They sell a couple others, but maybe I should grow the Banana as the nursery also state it is the easiest to grow.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015   #8
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

I found Russian Banana fingerlings at my local Whole Foods and gonna give 'em a try planting.
1 1/2 lbs. for 3.99. I've had luck before growing from grocery-bought potatoes like this.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like the Russian fingerlings and not a fingerling but I love the things are the Dutch Cream potato.
You should see what I can do with them with nutmeg, mace Irish butter white pepper and heavy cream.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #10
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

our local Menards carried 3 or 4 varieties, needless to say I got them all to try. I will be planting around May 1, hoepfully.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #11
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have grown russian banana and austrian crescent and both were good. If you are going to grow a supermarket or farmers market potato make sure it is organic. Conventionally grown potatoes have a growth inhibitor sprayed on them so than can sit on the shelf without sprouting for alot longer.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2015   #12
jon_dear
Tomatovillian™

Last year I grew papa cacho. They grew great long red fingerlings with some pink in the flesh. It was one of our favorites for roasting. I grew 15 different varieties of potatoes looking for ones that performed well in less than ideal soil, as well as the ability to set true potato seed. This year the winners will get better soil to see how they perform.
jon_dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2015   #13
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Papa Cacho is one of the varieties I'm trying this year, along with Peanut, French Fingerling, Rose Finn Apple, and LaRatte (all from The Maine Potato Lady).

Oh, and also the Russian Bananas I found at Whole Foods. We'll see.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2015   #14
JoParrott

Worth, if I didn't have a hubby and a home I would like to come live with you--LOL! You do the most interesting things, and the food you create sound wonderful, not to mention your escapades that you post about. I think you must be one of the most interesting- and real people in the world. You are a treasure!
Old April 25, 2015   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Worth, if I didn't have a hubby and a home I would like to come live with you--LOL! You do the most interesting things, and the food you create sound wonderful, not to mention your escapades that you post about. I think you must be one of the most interesting- and real people in the world. You are a treasure!
Thank you very much.
Sometimes people say the nicest things about me and I dont know why.

I would surely hope if that if the ones that haven't met me would still feel the same way if they did meet me.

Yes I have been called real many times by many people.
Some people dont like it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote