Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 3, 2015   #1
Jeff S
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow leaves

Leaves on my tomato plants are turning yellow. It happens pretty much overnight. About half the leaves are affected. Any ideas? Tried to post pics but not sure why they didn't come up.
Jeff S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I guess if you can upload the pictures that would help.
Which leaves? Top leaves? Bottom leaves?. All yellow, yellow between the veins or something else?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #3
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Yeah would really need to see pics as it could be many things ranging from simple excess watering to a disease. Spots on the leaves, if so what color? Meanwhile remove all the affected leaves from the plant. They serve no purpose and just stress the plant and may contribute to spread.

Dave
Old July 3, 2015   #4
Jeff S
Tomatovillian™

Default Pics

Had a hard time uploading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150703_160428b.jpg (291.7 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg 20150703_160527b.jpg (530.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 20150703_160413b.jpg (477.4 KB, 167 views)
Old July 4, 2015   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Well they look pretty stressed.
The first obvious question is what is the water situation like in the soil? Is the soil sopping wet and are those containers draining freely? Those containers are standard containers and not self watering containers?

Second, what fertilizers have you been using and how much and how often?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

If I saw that down here in a plant in the garden I would think it was the early stages of fusarium. Since yours are in containers and you are so far up north I have no idea but it seems that parts of the plant look pretty healthy and green and then other parts are so yellow. I would think a lack of nutrients would show up all over the plant. Still looks like fusarium wilt to me.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #7
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post

Second, what fertilizers have you been using and how much and how often?

This..mine looked like that on the bottom after a hit of 15-30-15.

I pruned the obvious not gonna make it leaves and stems and now the plants look ok.

If you burned them hit them with a little extra water and make sure those pots are draining.

Couple days of sun. Couple days of watering. They will snap out of it.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #8
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Looks like classic over-watering symptoms to me. Looks like an overly small container for that size plant based on what I can see in the pic. What size is it? And what variety plant? Ideally the container needs to be bigger in diameter than the drip line of the leaves.

That often means the plant is root bound in the pot - or soon will be. Root bound plants often require copious amounts of water just to stay alive as there is little mix left to absorb and hold the water. Copious amounts of water causes yellow anemic plants.

More info please.

Dave
Old July 5, 2015   #9
Jeff S
Tomatovillian™

I used potting soil that is suppose to have adequate nutrients. Some containers are wicking and some are self draining so there shouldn't be an overwatering issue. I have added aquaponics water as well as a tomato nutrient formula in the water. Not all plants are affected. My treatment to this point is to pop off the affected leaves. Fortunately most of them have healthy suckers to replace them.
Old July 5, 2015   #10
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I used potting soil that is suppose to have adequate nutrients.
Yeah despite what the makers claim none of them really contain enough as most of it leaches out with watering within the first couple of weeks. Common recommendation among container growers is weekly feeding with a diluted solution of one of the many liquid ferts.

Quote:
Some containers are wicking and some are self draining so there shouldn't be an overwatering issue.
Unfortunately that isn't necessarily true. Many wicking containers are famous for over-watering and even self-draining containers can be over-watered. Yellowing leaves such as in your pics are a classic example of both it and nutrient deficiency.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Dave
Old July 5, 2015   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Honestly... If your weather was like ours in June... maybe too much water. I don't think we went a day without rain in the month. It was incredibly wet. they don't look diseased just chlorotic.
Old July 6, 2015   #12
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Nice to learn about the signs of too much of leaves in the water. I will go to the feed solution in my own plants.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #13
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Ok I have a question. My plants are in large 15 & 20 gallon grow bags. I used Promix and added slow release fertilizer, Epsom salts and lime. My plants have been growing well. Very healthy with lots of fruit forming. But today I noticed my KBX which is very tall, beautiful leaves, and full of tomatoes, has yellow leaves on the bottom and I found a leaf higher up where half was bright yellow. So far it's the only plant to show that. I don't want to overreact. I've made a solution of liquid ferts with micronutrients and added some Epsom salts. I haven't applied it yet. I want to see tomorrow if this is continuing. Should I be concerned?
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #14
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I just want to add I haven't had to water much because we've had so much rain.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #15
Jeff S
Tomatovillian™

Good idea to wait and see. My yellowing happened almost overnight. I have the same type plants growing in my greenhouse and they are absolutely perfect. After taking off the affected branches the yellowing seems to have stopped or at least slowed.