Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old November 27, 2014   #1
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Default horse manure

Is it wise to add fresh horse manure as mulch in my greenhouse?
to prepare the soil for next season...
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2014   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Been using it on my no-till raised bed for the last 5 years. As my bed is exposed to the elements and breaks down by planting time I don't know about your situation with your beds being under cover.

Ami
Old November 27, 2014   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It's a smart idea to test it for herbicide. All you have to do is grow a bean plant in a cup of it. If the leaves are not gnarled, then it's ok.

Dow chemical made a web site about contaminated manure: http://www.manurematters.com/na/en/
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2014   #4
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Onb another forum, someone says it's better to let it rot for a year before adding it as mulch.
When you use it fresh, a lot of nitrogen an phosphates will go in to the environement.
Is that true?
Old November 29, 2014   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itoero View Post
Onb another forum, someone says it's better to let it rot for a year before adding it as mulch.
When you use it fresh, a lot of nitrogen an phosphates will go in to the environment.
Is that true?
It can be true, but if you cover the manure with leaf mulch, (or hay straw grass clippings wood chips etc) it will speed the decomposition process and you'll likely be fine by spring.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; November 29, 2014 at 04:05 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2014   #6
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Good idea, it's autumn, so there are plenty leafs.
Old March 6, 2015   #7
Bythenbrs
Tomatovillian™

Default Bump

Forgive a newbie question, please. Just built my raised bed boxes but haven't filled them yet with soil or amendments. A friend has offered horse manure from her farm. Should the manure be mixed in at this time of year with my new soil and other amendments or should the manure 'age' and be allowed to breakdown some before use in the beds? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

BytheNbrs
Bythenbrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015   #8
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bythenbrs View Post
Forgive a newbie question, please. Just built my raised bed boxes but haven't filled them yet with soil or amendments. A friend has offered horse manure from her farm. Should the manure be mixed in at this time of year with my new soil and other amendments or should the manure 'age' and be allowed to breakdown some before use in the beds? Thanks in advance for any guidance.BytheNbrs
I would suggest you do some herbicide testing before you fill those raised beds.
There is so much herbicide around, it would be heart breaking to find the plants won't grow.
Will entail digging it all out again.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote