Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 15, 2016   #46
joseph
Tomatovillian™

My favorite pest control method is to grow my own genetically diverse seeds. And then only save seeds from plants that are resistant to my local predators and diseases.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2016   #47
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

My favorite is when bugs eat bugs, no sprays yet this year, I'm sure something will change that before long.

Several types of hoverflies and 7 spot ladybugs are working over the aphids pretty good.

Hoping the first spray(pyrethrin) wont be until the hot south wind brings leafhoppers. They dont have a natural enemy here that I know of.

Sluggo keeps the slugs off the new plants. Without it wouldnt get any beans at all.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2016   #48
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Tracydr;556986]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_HTX View Post

How are you planning to cool your greenhouse? I'm considering building a large one to use year round. I have a 6 foot by 8 foot now.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2016   #49
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I like Neem,spinosad,DE,sluggo plus. Trying neem meal this year. Soaps and hand picking are important,too.
I have June bugs on my asparagus. Got to watch and assassin bug eating one Sunday while I was hand picking stink bugs and June bugs off. I also have lots of wasps,praying mantids and hover flies. Spraying with blasts of water,which I can't do now because I don't have running water,yet.
A lot of times organic gardening requires allowing a little damage while you wait for the Calvary to arrive or the organic pesticide to work.
I also have a peacock and gunieas that fly in to eat grasshoppers and slugs/snails. Ducks are even better but mine got eaten by fox and Hawks. Hope to get some more this year.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote