Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 9, 2016   #46
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

Default Oak Tree Mites or Chiggers?

This is what we had at our house this weekend:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (105.3 KB, 65 views)
Old May 9, 2016   #47
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Clothes soaked in permethrin, allowed to dry, then washed will control chiggers and ticks most of the season even with repeated washings. Been doing this for several years.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #48
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
Clothes soaked in permethrin, allowed to dry, then washed will control chiggers and ticks most of the season even with repeated washings. Been doing this for several years.
THANK YOU Hellmann's. I am quite allergic to them and we had them bad last year. I also became allergic to DEET so I can not use it anymore. Where do you purchase your permethrin?
Old May 10, 2016   #49
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
Thanks Worth, I'm now thinking that what I have is not chiggers but Oak mites. We had a massive windstorm a few days ago and I spent an hour blowing off lots of "oak worms" and oak leaf debris off the driveway and deck. That's probably how they wound up on the railing. The end result is the same, intense itching, but the affected areas are different from the usual ones for chiggers.

We are also having a bumper crop of ticks this year. My husband took the dog for a walk in the woods and came back with 7 of them. I think I'll stop at Tractor Supply and pick up pyrethrins and sulfur. It looks like we have a bumper crip of poison ivy too so I might as well mix up a lethal cocktail for all of it!

(The mites that burrow under the skin are scabies. True fact, not old wives tale. My daughter had them.)
You need guineas! They put quite a dent in the tick population,if you can stand the cackling.
I've switched from Frontline to Advantix for the dogs and cats. Fleas seemed to have developed resistance to Frontline around here,it was doing absolutely nothing.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #50
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
THANK YOU Hellmann's. I am quite allergic to them and we had them bad last year. I also became allergic to DEET so I can not use it anymore. Where do you purchase your permethrin?
I got permethrin 10% at tractor supply. I dilute it, soak my pants and socks and allow them to dry, then wash them. The permethrin binds to the fibers in the fabric for the season. Just do a Google search for "permethrin clothing", for dilution rates, and more information.
Old May 10, 2016   #51
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Sawyers also makes a permethrin clothing spray, but making your own is more economical. Pretreated permethrin clothing is also available, but pricey.
Old May 10, 2016   #52
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Great! Thank you so much. You are a lifesaver...
Old May 11, 2016   #53
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Do you guys not worry about your skin constantly being in contact with and absorbing chemicals?
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #54
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Do you guys not worry about your skin constantly being in contact with and absorbing chemicals?
Read about it. It has been thoroughly tested. I see no difference in this and taking a life saving prescription.
Old May 11, 2016   #55
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
I sure do! The Deet is terrible for me and my skin and so are the bugs. If I want to garden I have to find a way that I can walk around outside without getting devoured and having allergic reactions all of the time.

I am willing to give this or any other suggestion a try.
Old May 11, 2016   #56
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Kerosene yet another use for it.
Chiggers hate the stuff.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #57
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Worth!
Old May 11, 2016   #58
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Thank you Worth!
AKA coal oil that is what the old folks years ago use to use.
They would put coal oil rags around their ankles when picking black berries it doesn't have to be soaking.
In the old days before all of the stuff like DEET and so on that is all they had.
To get rid of bugs in the house I have and they did it years ago to was to burn sulfur in the house and but fresh cedar branches under the house.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #59
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Coal oil had a thousand and one uses around the farm.
Old May 11, 2016   #60
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Just saw this thread. Thank goodness I can say I've only had chiggers one time. The itch was reminiscent of having chicken pox when I was a child. I was doing private duty with a lady with Parkinson's Disease at the time. The blue berries were in season. We decided to go to a u-pick farm and stock up on them for the year. I used a lemon oil/ eucalyptus based bug repellent everywhere skin was showing. I didn't put it on my ankles and feet because I wore socks and tennis shoes. The lady I was caring for chose not to use any repellent. She had them all over. Those buggers got under my socks and in my shoes. I had bites all over my ankles and feet. Relief for me was a baking soda and water paste. Yes, it was messy but I was afraid I was going to give in and scratch and wind up with an infection. Someone mentioned mixing up a batch to kill poison ivy. If it's earth friendly please share! I'm very allergic to it and it has started growing on the edge of my yard!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote