Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 12, 2017   #1
old_drummer
Tomatovillian™

Default Two pepper plants is a 5gal container??

I didn't know whether to ask this in the container or pepper area, so...
Some on the net search say yes, others no. Any experience either way?
old_drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #2
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

No. Too crowded. The plants will get much larger if each plant has it's own 'area'.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #3
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

What specific pepper do you have in mind? I have had pretty good luck with Keystone Bells, 2 per 5 gallon grow bag.

Last year I grew 50 plants, so it wasnt just a one off thing.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Agree, depends on variety in a short season I think peppers like to " hold hands" (touch each other) and the more important factor in pots will be your ability to keep up with water and fertilizer
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #5
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have only grown peppers for 5 years, but do grow them to sell, and grow about 75 plants, more this year. I grow them in large 14" hanging baskets, which are close to 5 gallons and put one plant in each one. The plants get large, and produce about 40-50 bells per container, and end up a bit over 3 feet tall with no pruning. This year I am going to do more pruning to strengthen the remaining branches, I always lose branches to breaking because of the weight of fruit, and have resorted to tying them up.
Jalapeno, Habenaro are a bit smaller plants, but I don't think two would work so well in my containers, they still take up all of the space. They get so wide, I just couldn't see it. I feed them with 4-18-38, CaNO3, and MgSO4.
I am certainly not a pepper expert, but that is where I am with it up to this point.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #6
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

The closest I would ever put pepper plants in a garden or raised bed would be 12", 15-18" is better for some smaller varieties, 24" is more ideal. A 5 gallon bucket is only about 12" at the top and tapers to about 10.25" at the bottom. I'd say you would be really crowding them and get less productive, weaker plants without heavy pruning in the early season if you shared space in the same bucket. Just my opinion.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I would say yes definitely.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....6&postcount=95

I grew Aji Amarillo, Serrano, various colors of mixed sweet yummy peppers last year and was beyond pleased with plant growth and health and most importantly fruit production. I've done full sized bells this way too with great results.

Like any container grown vegetable they will need more water and food compared to in-ground plants, but for me they do much better in buckets than ground.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; January 12, 2017 at 07:11 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #8
old_drummer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
What specific pepper do you have in mind? I have had pretty good luck with Keystone Bells, 2 per 5 gallon grow bag.

Last year I grew 50 plants, so it wasnt just a one off thing.
Giant Marconis, Caribbean Habaneros, Jalapenos, Mini-Bells maybe a couple others
Old January 12, 2017   #9
old_drummer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I would say yes definitely.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....6&postcount=95

I grew Aji Amarillo, Serrano, various colors of mixed sweet yummy peppers last year and was beyond pleased with plant growth and health and most importantly fruit production. I've done full sized bells this way too with great results.

Like any container grown vegetable they will need more water and food compared to in-ground plants, but for me they do much better in buckets than ground.
I grew last year's singly in buckets and they did better than the ones in the ground.

Last edited by old_drummer; January 12, 2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 12, 2017   #10
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Shish!tos, cherry peppers, some sweet peppers are ok because the plants are pretty small.

If you get to the larger plants, one per bucket is all it will take, and even then you have to space the buckets apart to keep the branches from intertwining.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #11
old_drummer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I have only grown peppers for 5 years, but do grow them to sell, and grow about 75 plants, more this year. I grow them in large 14" hanging baskets, which are close to 5 gallons and put one plant in each one. The plants get large, and produce about 40-50 bells per container, and end up a bit over 3 feet tall with no pruning. This year I am going to do more pruning to strengthen the remaining branches, I always lose branches to breaking because of the weight of fruit, and have resorted to tying them up.
Jalapeno, Habenaro are a bit smaller plants, but I don't think two would work so well in my containers, they still take up all of the space. They get so wide, I just couldn't see it. I feed them with 4-18-38, CaNO3, and MgSO4.
I am certainly not a pepper expert, but that is where I am with it up to this point.
So how often did you feed the in the containers?
Old January 12, 2017   #12
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I feed them every day sometimes twice when they are full size and loaded with peppers.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017   #13
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_drummer View Post
Some on the net search say yes, others no.
I think you have the same mix of opinions in here, so maybe try it both ways this year and come to your own conclusion

I think everyone does agree that peppers can definitely be grown in a 5 gallon bucket.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017   #14
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Two in a bucket? Yes, it's possible. But to what end? Both sets will grow to what the bucket can provide for, meaning that each of the twinned plant will grow smaller and less productive (unless they're a very small variety). Since they will hit the limit earlier than a single plant, they will produce fruit earlier, but is that a consideration?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

in a shorter season such as yours and growing outdoors you most likely don't need to worry about your plants getting too big.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote