Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 18, 2017   #61
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..No problem I am not in a hurry...I think I may have found a supplier of hopefully reasonably priced Perlite who can get it shipped down at again reasonable cost...no doubt he will let me know..
I hope you can find the products they sell on their website...any difficulty please let me know.....
I got a reply from the Government (at least they reply immediately) they still want to know all the details etc
Hi Ron, just to let you know that just because something is a living organism would not exclude it from the requirements of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HSNO) act.

You should check with the seller if it can be legally imported into New Zealand. In addition I would expect that given its proposed use in tomatoes it may need some sort of an approval from the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI).

I am happy to answer any questions that you may have about this.

As you can see they make sure they cover themselves ...Looking at Ebay the shipping cost of some of these is over US$50 which is probably arount $70 to 80 NZ dollars...Also I have found out Plantmate has a very short life after the packet is opened....

As for the roof ...this is what happens when a lot of things come from a certain country ...the pressure underneath the screw simply pushed the rubbery cap that keeps water from coming in off the screw and because the holes were 10mm as per directions the Nova lite just came off leaving the screws behind....Now although its broken in half at one end it may be long enough to put back up and if I put a steel washer between the screwhead and the rubber cap that will stop it happening ...Again I blame myself leaving an overhang on the end and the wind simply applied too much upward pressure ...If I had cut the overhang of it would not have happened ....I still have lengths of Novalite...Its getting it up thats the problem but its got to be done as soon as possible... simply because my plants cannot be growing in this weather...I am out cleaning up the section which will not become evident till next week when my friend arrives and takes everything away ...but that will not be enough for whoever complained ..if it is who I think it was they will not be happy til the house is buldozed down ...anyway the owner of two properties right next door could be interested in buying my property with a rental agreement for as long as I require....I put it to him yesterday and depending what his plans are he may jump at the chance of buying my place.... I think he wants to but a resthome or something like that on the properties he owns but is having planning approval problems ...it may help him if he owns my place as well...

Regards Ron

Last edited by murihikukid; January 18, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2017   #62
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..I thought rhizosphere was some thing out in space and now i find out its my tomatoes root system ...its like learning a whole new language... Cheers Ron
Old January 19, 2017   #63
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Hi..I thought rhizosphere was some thing out in space and now i find out its my tomatoes root system ...its like learning a whole new language... Cheers Ron

Yep, I sure have learned a lot since I first joined this forum. I used to just put my store bought plants in the ground and let them grow.... Life was much easier back then, but I do think that I am having more fun now. I love learning and trying out new things.

Of the products offered on your rd2 link, the one that I would choose is the Mycormax. While I am not totally sure, I have heard that the Trichoderma bacteria sometimes grow faster than the mycorrhizae and then out compete them. I do use a product that contains both. The trichoderma are bacteria and the mycorrhizae are fungi. You would do best to promote the fungi. This product does seem to be on the pricey side. Maybe you could cut the bags open and sprinkle some of the powder on the roots while transplanting to make the product go further.

Here is a link to Fungi Perfect. It has a great explanation of how mycos work.

http://www.fungi.com/shop/fungi-for-...y-gardens.html

I'm glad to hear that the greenhouse is repairable. Wouldn't it be nice is you sold the house for a nice price?

Cheers ~ Patti
Old January 19, 2017   #64
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi Patti...I never even found a price ??? I got such a shock about the Perlite from Auckland ...although the Perlite price was acceptable it was $36 a bag freight???which means the Perlite I got in the new Year is a far cheaper option and for some reason I like the grade of it ....The weather is partially fine but still with wind gusts ...I used the length of roof that came off ..its up there now but i could not overlap it underneath its neighbour so I overlapped it over...It should not make much difference but without help iis impossible to underlap...So just a few more screws to go in..I have to be careful cause the top of the ladder is resting against the Novalite overlap but I think its strong enough??
..RE the house I doubt if I could get what I paid for it...but one never know ..Of course I will only sell it with a rent back agreement...A trailor load of stuff went this morning... I do not know if the section looks better or worse..

OK ...Mycormax seems to fit the criteria ...Aghhh now I know what you mean by cutting the bags open...the tea bag sachets....
My big seedlings will soon have to be transplanted so I will get it now as ...I presume one will use it on the seedlings which I sprayed with copper and sulphate last night...
A hydroponic shop told me they stopped using Plantmate due to the expiry date..

The Black cherry plant has another soda pop attached to it....I think its great ?? easy to do and forget about it apart from spraying some water on it...I am looking at the Campari beside it and will do some laterals on it when they grow more...The goverment employs so many looking after our Agroculture sector but it has to be done....even though some things look over protected ...Tomato Seeds for example...
I might even be able to fit the screen door today...What a difference some warmth makes to working outside...the Last few nights I have been relying on Marley or he may be relying on me....Apparantly the whole country is getting similar weather...

Regards Ron..
Old January 19, 2017   #65
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default I am in shock??

Patti..I am shocked ....I went to buy 2x lots of 10 sachets and here is what the total cost was...I might have to buy 10 sachets..Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Money_2017-01-20_164643.jpg (65.2 KB, 51 views)
Old January 19, 2017   #66
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron at that price, I would not bother... You could buy a whole lot of ripe tomatoes somewhere for that price. The one I use here costs me $5.95 plus $2.60 shipping. This is ridiculous. Hey... you did learn a lot though....
Old January 20, 2017   #67
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...This is becoming common in NZ ....I have asked them how much in a sachet ?? so thats going to be interesting ...the 2 kg is $182 .....They only offer 10 sachets so I went for it twice and got charged $20 freight on both plus GST of 15%...This was the same situation on the Perlite ...of course they ignore the fact that there is such a thing as combined shipping EG ...It may well be that 20 sachets would have a shipping cost the same as 10.......I think thats poor business and is why people turn to Trademe more and more as an alternative ...I will turn to Ebay and look for MicroGrow and see if I can negotiate a shipping cost ...I wonder what your Mycrogrow weighs...

I often think that some businesses in NZ use shipping as a means to get extra profit and to do this surely the courier and freighting services are involved in it..I presume one could find it on Ali Baba or a China supplier...anyway I did an exercise and added a 2kg pack on the cart...added 15% GST ...after doing my GST sums etc I arrived at a cost shipping of $19.45 for the 2kg pack as against over $40 for 20 sachets.... Crazy???

Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mycro_2017-01-20_180809.jpg (66.2 KB, 50 views)
Old January 20, 2017   #68
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The myco products from Fungi Perfecti are sold in one-ounce packs, for $6 US. I ordered one ounce of each of their three products. It will be enough for thousands of seedlings. You only need a tiny amount to seed the bacteria/fungi, and then it should grow on its own on your roots. You'll see that the roots look fuzzy when you transplant.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2017   #69
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...OK...I googled it and it goes to a Iherb website ...I presume this is wrong ...I have Amercan cash or Paypal so payment is no problem... can you advise what three products I need to buy if they will post to me...Thanks Ron
Old January 20, 2017   #70
moneymaker
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ron, I just googled MYCORMAX and there is a few suppliers in N Z check out roots shoots fruit maybe you can get it cheaper if there is one on your island. ( www.rd2.co.nz )
moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2017   #71
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Moneymaker ..Thanks I will google and see what I find otherwise I will ask then in an email...Do you think it will do the job....Cheers Ron...
Old January 20, 2017   #72
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Moneymaker...Google only brings up one supplier here in NZ on my computer ......Cheers Ron... ..
Old January 20, 2017   #73
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron the link for MycoGrow is the link that I gave you in post #63. The one that I primarily use is the MycoGrow Soluable 1 oz at the bottom of the page for $5.95. I also use MycoGrow Micronized Eno/Ecto Seed Mix 1 oz for $4.95. As has been said a little goes a very long way. Just dust the roots when you are transplanting or mix with your water and water it in. You will need to ask them if they will ship these to NZ. These packs are small enough to fit into a card.
Old January 20, 2017   #74
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..its after 4pm and all I have of my day left over after an early morning Skype call from Canada is not long especially when have to fit a door because its reasonable weather ....
Thanks for the info....Now if I cannot get it from the USA I will buy a 2kg bag of mycorMax from auckland and break it up myself into 50g and 100g bags and sell it to the growers down here ..that will give me a very nice profit...
I have spent 2 hours biking around town looking for Manila Rope....Nothing ??only one person knew what it was.......Its terrible living down here due to the lack of these materials....Cheers Ron...
Old January 21, 2017   #75
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti...With your experience do you think there would be any problems repackaging a mycorrhizae product EG Mycormax...From a 2KG package into say plastic packs of 100grams ...Thanks Ron