Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 3, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet Banana Peppers

Anybody sell them at market? I was wondering about how much you sell them for and about how many you give.

Nobody sells them around here and I heard they are good for grilling, so I thought I would give them a try this year.

They don't sell in the stores, so I have nothing for a price to go on.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Peppers in general are one of the least desired foods at my farmer's market. I take sweet peppers and banana peppers often, but usually end up taking them home with me.

Jalapenos or Poblanos sell better for me.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There might be a reason they dont have them in the store.
They don't have them where I live either.
That reason may be low demand or ignorance.
Many people just don't know what to do with peppers.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They don't last long before getting soft. They have thin skin. Cooking them in a pan like you cook Shi-Shi-To and add a little sea salt ...mmmm
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #5
flgatorguy87
Tomatovillian™

I grew them on my deck last year. I would mix cream cheese, a little flour, and some browned sausage. Split them in half to make a boat, stuff with this mixture, and then grill them up.

They were delicious.
flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #6
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

We sell all our peppers for $1.25 per lb. except the super hots and a few smaller varieties. Haven't grown banana peppers for a few years. just not much demand.
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think they would sell like hotcakes if they were wrapped in bacon and dipped in chocolate.
Worth
Old June 4, 2015   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
They don't last long before getting soft. They have thin skin. Cooking them in a pan like you cook Shi-Shi-To and add a little sea salt ...mmmm
That is good to know. Looks like they will be a pick early on day of market and hope they sell. Wonder if they can be frozen if they don't sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgatorguy87 View Post
I grew them on my deck last year. I would mix cream cheese, a little flour, and some browned sausage. Split them in half to make a boat, stuff with this mixture, and then grill them up.

They were delicious.
That sounds so yummy. Did you just place them on the grill or wrap them in foil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1 View Post
We sell all our peppers for $1.25 per lb. except the super hots and a few smaller varieties. Haven't grown banana peppers for a few years. just not much demand.
Thanks Marcus. That at least gives me a starting point. Folks will buy the seedlings like crazy which is why I thought maybe the fruits might sell. I may have made a mistake and be looking for a ton of recipes for them. That or passing them off on folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I think they would sell like hotcakes if they were wrapped in bacon and dipped in chocolate.
Worth
Two of the best foods in the world. Hey if I could figure out how to do it and keep them from spoiling at market I would do it. Microwave bacon takes 10 seconds a piece and dipping in chocolate would be easy if it didn't turn the pepper mushy. Just would have to figure out how to keep the chocolate from melting in the heat. Might be an idea for fall when temps go below 100f+. Hum maybe something to experiment with. Ya never know what folks will or will not buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Peppers in general are one of the least desired foods at my farmer's market. I take sweet peppers and banana peppers often, but usually end up taking them home with me.

Jalapenos or Poblanos sell better for me.
I sell the seedlings for the hots and super hots, but I haven't taken any of the fruits. Usually I don't have plants left, plus the markets round here get saturated with Jalpeno and Habenero fruits. We have one vendor who brings huge cases of them loaded that he buys from wholesale house and sells for $15 bucks a case.

Only way to make money on those types if it is made into jellies and hot sauces and I'm not experienced enough at canning to try. I'd be afraid to eat my own canning, since the few times I have tried everything has molded. It so hot here and I can't keep this trailer cool enough and with no cellar, the tops even after being wet bathed or whatever it is called they still pop up and down with temp changes during day and night.
Old June 4, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Game on my friend.
I am headed home and will experiment and see what we can come up with.
No worries about spoiling bacon wont spoil for days even weeks.
I should have some peppers ready when I get there.
I'm licking my chops already.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; June 4, 2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old June 4, 2015   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I see the hot version of banana peppers a lot but I seldom see the sweet sold fresh here. And the hot ones are usually pretty wrinkled and flabby, like they've been sitting there for a while. They might sell better pickled in a jar than fresh??
Old June 4, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
I see the hot version of banana peppers a lot but I seldom see the sweet sold fresh here. And the hot ones are usually pretty wrinkled and flabby, like they've been sitting there for a while. They might sell better pickled in a jar than fresh??
I grew the hot ones one year and I loved them.
But I never saw the plants for sell again.
Worth
Old June 4, 2015   #12
flgatorguy87
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post

That sounds so yummy. Did you just place them on the grill or wrap them in foil?
I just put them on the top rack of my Weber Genesis and cook them while I'm grilling whatever protein I'm cooking for the entrée.
flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #13
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Worth1 .. Game on my friend.
I am headed home and will experiment and see what we can come up with.
No worries about spoiling bacon wont spoil for days even weeks.
I should have some peppers ready when I get there.
I'm licking my chops already.
Worth
Glad to know your getting to go home for a bit. Hope you have a safe trip. I bet you'll be glad to relax at home.

If there is a way to do it. You'll figure it out. You ought to be on Master Chef. I think you would win.

I have seeds of the Hot Banana if you want some, or holler at me in spring and I'll grow you some seedlings if they don't offer around your area and you want some.

Quote:
Shellybean..I see the hot version of banana peppers a lot but I seldom see the sweet sold fresh here. And the hot ones are usually pretty wrinkled and flabby, like they've been sitting there for a while. They might sell better pickled in a jar than fresh??
Usually it is the men here that buy the hot seedlings to try and grow. I don't think I have even seen the hot fruits for sale either come to think of it.

[quote] flgatorguy87 .. I just put them on the top rack of my Weber Genesis and cook them while I'm grilling whatever protein I'm cooking for the entrée.

Thanks! Definitely going to give this recipe a try. It might also be something to sell during late fall and winter at market. I would have to talk to mgt. We have a snack shop and they will allow some folks to sell differnt things as long as it doesn't take away from their main menu and income since they have to pay so much for rent on the little building.

We have folks selling boiled peanuts, hot corn on the cob, snow cones, jerky and other stuff like that. So they just might let me sell something small with peppers.

Maybe this is the start of a new craze. Sausage and cream cheese filled or bacon and chocolate wrapped. Now I'm hungry.
Old June 4, 2015   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm hungry too I haven't had anything to eat since breakfast at 5:00 am.
And wont eat till I get on the plane in about 2 hours.
Thanks for saying I could win master chef but I doubt I would even place.
To me food and love is not a race it takes time to do it right.
Worth
Old June 4, 2015   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Safe travels Worth.
I sell lots of hot banan peppers, but this year I grew inferno hot banana. I still haven't gotten them in the garden though. I had someone order a bushel for fall. oyvey. So now I have to get them in the garden. I don't sell many hot peppers at my market, but my husband does at his market. When he sells them he marks them 3 for 1.00, I think.