Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old September 19, 2009   #1
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Default Tough Skin on Small Fruit of Ghostbuster?

I've peeled large varieties like Black beauty, but never small ones I've grown at home like Diamond or Ping Tung Long.

Friday, I purchased 4 lovely small eggplants at the Farmer's Market. Two purple and two white, which the vendor said were Ghostbuster. They all are small (less than 5" in length) and have shiny skins, so I'm assuming they were picked at their peak.

Why then, when I sliced them and fried them up last night for sandwiches, were the skins tough? Is this common with Ghostbuster? The flesh was tender and mild, but it turned me off when the skin was chewy.

bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2009   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have not grown Ghostbuster but I do regularly grow other white eggplant. I find the skin is always thicker on the white varieties than the darker colored ones. I prefer the sweeter flesh of the white varieties but I always peel them.
Old September 19, 2009   #3
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Michele. I'll do that from now on.
Old September 24, 2009   #4
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

How to you make sandwiches of them ? New to me.

Store here had no eggplants. My white I had grown was White cloud? I think I peeled. I did not the long slim asian. I soak my slices of eggplant in salt to take out any bitter. I had always just had black beauty. I peel Mom did that so I did that.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2009   #5
mjc
Tomatovillian™

I too find the whites somewhat thicker skinned and depending on the weather, the skin can be even tougher/thicker on any of them...
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2009   #6
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_west View Post
How to you make sandwiches of them ? New to me.

Store here had no eggplants. My white I had grown was White cloud? I think I peeled. I did not the long slim asian. I soak my slices of eggplant in salt to take out any bitter. I had always just had black beauty. I peel Mom did that so I did that.
I sliced them lengthwise and then dipped them in an eggwash, then in breadcrumbs mixed with parmesan cheese. Fried them up til crispy on the outside and fork tender on the inside. Melted a slice of soft white cheese on them and ate them on a crispy roll with sliced tomatoes and pepper relish. It was quite tasty, just didn't like having to pull the skins out after the fact, blech.

And yes, MJC, considering the poor weather here this growing season, it doesn't surprise me that skins on eggplant (and tomatoes) have been less than desirable in texture. Hopefully, 2010 will be much better. TY
Old September 27, 2009   #7
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

Sounds good thanks.

Store here did have any eggplants. Wanted to try sandwich. Be next year when I grow some it looks like.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote