Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 6, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Happiness is...

You will always have those customers that want nothing but their favorite hybrids to grow, but happiness this past weekend is when several folks were checking to see when I was planning on bringing tomato and pepper plants out and told me that the heirlooms I had talked them into last year instead of a hybrid was the best tasting tomato they ever had.

Yes, it mainly was the Cherokee purple that they loved, but it is a start and now this year they are anxious to try some of the other heirlooms.

It was nice to know all the hours of talking about heirlooms last year and trying to help folks to learn how to grow them has paid off even if it just starting with a few customers at a time.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #2
pmb2005
Tomatovillian™

Starlight, you can talk me into a heirloom anyday!!! But I am very curious to see how these Hybrid SuperSauce preforms for my canning this year. I've never grown a Hybrid before!!!

Last edited by pmb2005; April 7, 2015 at 01:22 PM.
pmb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmb2005 View Post
Starlight, you can talk me into a heirloom anyday!!! But I am very curious to see how these Hybrid SuperSauce preforms for my canning this year. I've never grown a Hybrid before!!!
Promise don't tell me that the Super Sauce is the only tomato your growing this year? It's a new one on me this Super Sauce. Just grow it like you would your regular tomatoes. I grow both the hybrids and the heirlooms the same, except I always check the heirlooms closer for any sign of problems.

If the seed was given to me, I would try and grow it, but some of them new fangled hybrids are all hype. A lot of them don't say that the only way you are going to get a tomato that big is by taking almost all the other blooms off.

PA_Julie grows tomatoes for competition and she would be a good one to ask maybe on how to prune your Super Sauce to get bigger tomatoes.

You'll have to let me know later in the season how it does for you and how it tastes. Since it is a hybrid, if you liked the taste of it and want to grow it again, you'll have to buy more seed as the hybrid seed won't come true.

If you decide you really..really .. like it than I would get more seed and store it before it is no longer available as some hybrids come and some go.
Old April 7, 2015   #4
pmb2005
Tomatovillian™

Default heirloom seeds

Ella, you should know better! This piggy has a nice collection of heirloom seeds! I will certainly let you know about this years research. Thanks for the info. I'm not looking to grow super big tomatoes, I'm looking to grow an abundance of good canning tomatoes. I'm looking forward to growing my Virginia Sweets and Gardeners Delight this year. I have 3 flats of tomatoes going so far. Probably more than enough! How many tomato plants are you planting this year?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomato seeds 2014.jpg (82.8 KB, 62 views)
pmb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Ok, good. I would have sent you some heirlooms if you didn't have any. That a relief.

3 flats. way to go. I can't help you with the canning part. I can't can. Not enough experience. Other might be able to tell you if that is enough. There is a forum if you tell them your variaties and how much you plan on canning, the experts will know.

As many as I can. I'm planting tomatoes in between everything else. I want to try some of everything. For me this is the year of the tomato. I am mainly working and concentrating on them and learning more of the little in's and outs of growing them as best from the experts here.

I can grow tomatoes. I'm here learning to grow exceptional and healthier tomatoes. So much knowledge in these threads. : )