Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 27, 2018   #1
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default tomato in winter

Hi all.
This season I had a blue tomato tomato (indigo drops), the truth is that the experience I've had with all varieties of blue tomato has been lacking in flavor, but I put a few plants of them out of curiosity. One of the tomato plants does not It grew a lot and had very little production, its first tomatoes were blue and then the last red tomatoes.
Remove the plants from my garden when the cold arrives, note that the plant was super healthy and with flowers and tomatoes, and leave it by itself without any attention.
Today I went down to my garden and surprise! the plant has endured the cold and the frosts, it has flowers and tomatoes, it seems to me something incredible, there are nights that we reached 0 degrees ....
Is it possible that a tomato will last more than a year?
Tomorrow I show you photos.
Nico

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2018   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That’s amazing Nico!
Definitely an indeterminate tomato will live indefinitely until taken down by either frost or disease.
That’s one tough tomato you have there
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2018   #3
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Karen for your comment, I have never seen anything like it, the truth is that silver is little developed and I think it has the fungus septoria, but is totally abandoned.
Where I live is unfeasible to have a live tomato plant right now.
Nico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181228_093608.jpg (410.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181228_093648.jpg (244.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181228_093658.jpg (414.8 KB, 61 views)

Nico.
Old December 28, 2018   #4
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

May not be the prettiest plant, but could be the start of something special. Look after it to the best of your ability.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2018   #5
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Hello Worth1.
If you are right that the plant is not pretty, it was a very rare plant from the beginning, it did not develop well and its stems were very fine, its companions indigo drops that accompanied it were very large and productive, it was also the most early of my garden next to KARMA pink.
Save the seeds if I ever think something.

Nico.
Old December 28, 2018   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

The wall is definitely helping to create a microclimate there for it. Very useful to know that, is it possible in future to build a nice cold frame there? If so you could likely be very successful planting and growing a number of things there through your winters, herbs and lettuces, other greens would likely do very well.
The plant is certainly worth saving seed from and continuing
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2018   #7
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Karen.
Yes, a few meters later I had a plastic tunnel, planted broccoli and cauliflower and gave it quite well, but even under plastic it would be impossible for the tomato to endure the cold

Nico.