Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old July 18, 2016   #1
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Default Some advice please

I read on TV of a plan to plant an early determinant tomato in the greenhouse and then pull them in late summer and replace with a second round.

Well that's what I did but I am not sure if it's working out. I put in Oregon Spring in march but they are so slow! They are 4 to 6 ft. Tall and starting to bloom but no fruit set yet. I have Indian Stripe in the bullpen but I don't want to wait too long.

I've never grown determinate tomatoes before. Unless they explode with fruit pretty quick, I'm thinking I should pull them (ouch!) and put in my second string.

Opinions please?
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2016   #2
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Anyone grown determinates in a greenhouse?
Old July 19, 2016   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I grew Taxi in my mini hoop this year. They are finishing up now (already pulled several) and plan to follow with early girl for fall tomatoes. If yours are just now blooming I'd say either let em finish the season and see what you get or pull half and put in some IS.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2016   #4
yardn_gardn
Tomatovillian™

Location: Central Idaho at 3200 elev. in zone 5b, maybe 100 frost free days

Even though Oregon Spring is a 60 to 70 day tomato, it still takes much longer than that for all of the fruit to finish ripening. We started some determinates (I'm so bad! I do not remember the name of it) in the school green house way back in January. I'm just finishing picking the fruit off of the one plant I brought home.
Old July 22, 2016   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I would pot up your Indian stripe in large pots and get them growing well. Let your Oregon spring finish producing and then move your Indian stripes in their pots into your greenhouse. I don't think you'll have time for successive plantings in your area. But You can use your greenhouse for a fall crop of your Indian stripes but they'll need to be well started and blooming in big pots
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; July 23, 2016 at 02:18 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #6
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have grown determinates in my greenhouses, but will never grow them again. Determinates are not supposed to be pruned, so in a greenhouse when humidity is high during summer months they are a potential disease factory. That is my observation with them in my area, I had 4 infect one of my greenhouses, I did not spot the problem until spores were poofed all over the place. Indeterminates are much easier to manage.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #7
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Great advice from the Villians.
I have pulled out all the OS except one and planted the IS as it is getting late!
My greenhouse is unheated but has great solar gain and I usually pick tomatoes into December.

Thanks again