Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 27, 2015   #1
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Just Double Stack the container

Hi all ,
I wanted to share a very economical trick that helps with containers if one can do it .

If you have limited space and limited Seasonal light in a suburban or urban environment .

One way to improve your Container production is to double stack the container
(it matters not what container size just equal sizes )the results are greatly improved plants.

What I mean is..... let us say you have a small 2 gallon container with a plant in it

make sure the bottom has many holes for aeration . Then get another equal size 2 gallon container with soil (can be of lesser quality soil .or more sandy ) then water both and stack the plant container on the other .Make sure the bottom container has a good soil lock to the top container . then Water both containers at both levels .

This results in the plant being lifted up for more aeration and ...sun ..

(Plant is also closer to the grower) and the resulting bottom container is a "booster"to the top .

The "booster " will "hold more water reserves " to wick up to the top container. Much healthier less stressed container plants result as they can withstand the days you used to have to water 2+ times a day
with just the single container level method.

Also one can water at the booster container level . and water will wick up...and no top watering is really needed where the plant is resulting in less potential disease . (I still water a bit at the top level soil anyway ...never the leaves)

If one would like to move the plant to more protected environment at end of season to extend season ...then on can just take the top container off with the plant and move it to a new protected location .

The booster container on the bottom might have a few left over roots but will basically be clean and easy to shut down and left behind .

I have done this with 1 gallon containers to 10 gallon /40 liter containers.

I am guessing if any of you growers wanted to try this you would do it with a 5-7 gallon type container.

also the small ones can be triple stacked if one wants to increase the water reservoir so there is less stress between watering.
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote