Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 1, 2016   #1
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default self pollinating cucumbers

Due to poor numbers of female flowers and resulting cucumbers I thought it might be time to try the self pollinating varieties. Would any of you be willing to share your experiences?.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

The only self pollinating cucumber that I've grown is Sweet Success plus Parks All Season; Both set fruit on every flower.

But I don't have issues with the bee pollinating kinds either. I'm growing as a test now - to see if bees will come in the heat, etc (they do) and probably have > 10 to 1 male flowers but still getting a lot of cucumbers. My first picked was Sunday and was up to 19 as of Thursday. I have 3 seeds planted.

What are you growing?

There is a recent thread re: pruning cucumbers and AKMark has posted pictures of Tasty Jade. Excellent results as usual.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
Due to poor numbers of female flowers and resulting cucumbers I thought it might be time to try the self pollinating varieties. Would any of you be willing to share your experiences?.

Jon
https://www.jungseed.com/P/02002/Alibi+Hybrid+Cucumber

The one above has been superb for me, self pollenizing ,never stops producing,great taste and relatively disease tolerant.

Carolyn
Old July 1, 2016   #4
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Monika wins for me. Sweet success is also strong.

http://www.rareseeds.com/monika-cucumber/
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I grow Picolino F1 hyb in pots so I can have early salad cucumbers before the other in-ground cukes get going. It's a baby English type like you get in 6 pks at the store. Wouldn't be that useful if what you are needing is a lot of pickling type cukes, but it sets very well and they grow to eating size quickly. The seeds are a bit expensive, but I haven't had any trouble with germination, and I only grow a couple each season for earlies.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I grow Picolino F1 hyb in pots so I can have early salad cucumbers before the other in-ground cukes get going. It's a baby English type like you get in 6 pks at the store. Wouldn't be that useful if what you are needing is a lot of pickling type cukes, but it sets very well and they grow to eating size quickly. The seeds are a bit expensive, but I haven't had any trouble with germination, and I only grow a couple each season for earlies.

Dee, I've grown this one as well as the one I gave a link to above and I think both are great.

Not cheap,so true, but whatever.

Carolyn
Old July 1, 2016   #7
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

A bit off topic here. Last fall, i found a mature old Picolino F1 cucumber in the greenhouse with a belly full of seeds, it must have been pollinated by some other variety, so i saved some and planted some this year. The seedlings came up nicely and transplanted well, so we'll see what i'll get out of them. The F1 production was impressive.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I'll be waiting to hear what you get, NewWest!

I was going to check for any possible seeds late in the season last year after I moved them out to the garden, but time got away from me and by the time I remembered, the weeds had swallowed the dried up vines and any cucumbers had long turned to mush. I had another potted variety in the area too, so any dried seeds scraped off the ground would have been unidentifiable.

If you find you like your F2's, I'll try to find a Picolino to save this fall.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I love Sweet Success. It's the only cuke I like to eat.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #10
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I love Sweet Success. It's the only cuke I like to eat.
You're gonna dig the Super Zagross. Smooth, refreshing, crisp.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #11
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for so many replies. I really appreciate it. This year I am growing five varieties. My yield has been five with three not yet picked and none to brag about I will try sweet success. Thanks again

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #12
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Ddsack,
I checked the cukes today. The F2s are doing surprisingly well-- i already have a 2" fruit on a 9" vine. More importantly, there are multiple flowers, both male and female forming on every leaf node, starting from the first true leaves all the way up, 3-4 flower buds per node. It looks like the vines are going to be small but loaded. I will try to save seeds from the best again.

QUOTE=ddsack;574220]I'll be waiting to hear what you get, NewWest!

I was going to check for any possible seeds late in the season last year after I moved them out to the garden, but time got away from me and by the time I remembered, the weeds had swallowed the dried up vines and any cucumbers had long turned to mush. I had another potted variety in the area too, so any dried seeds scraped off the ground would have been unidentifiable.

If you find you like your F2's, I'll try to find a Picolino to save this fall.[/QUOTE]
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have one called "Diva" this year - never grown it before. Seeds were not expensive - it was a two dollar packet from Halifax Seed with I think 20 seeds in it..
I've grown Carmen before and one other whose name I forget, paid a dollar per seed for those.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #14
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Some time ago a poster showed photos of a cucumber that he/she was growing indoors under lights during the winter. I don't think it was hand pollinated. The poster had a few cucumbers produced during the winter, which attracted my attention. It sounded like a pretty amazing feat to me. I'm not certain but I think it was Diva.

For me cucumbers are feast or famine due to the cucumber beetle or if powdery mildew sets up residence.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I have one called "Diva" this year - never grown it before. Seeds were not expensive - it was a two dollar packet from Halifax Seed with I think 20 seeds in it..
I've grown Carmen before and one other whose name I forget, paid a dollar per seed for those.
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-5540-diva.aspx

Above is a link to Johnny's Selected seeds and the company was started by Rob Johnston,and it was his wife,I forget her name right now,who bred Diva.

Yes,I've grown this one as well.

All of the self pollinating ones I know of are parthenocarpic.

Which reminds about a prior post by I think gorbelly,who found lots of seeds in an overripe fruit, I forget which variety.The same thing happens to the parthenocarpic ones that Dr.Bagget bred,tomatoes,for the PNW.Few immature seeds while the fruits are young,but when overmature,lots of seeds.

Carolyn