Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 3, 2018   #271
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Salt,
I guess the daddy long legs are doing a good job. I was always told by the local farmer to leave those alone. His reason was , if you kill them it would make it rain. I'll remember that throughout my whole life. There are many of those kind things my sister and I were taught. Now there called old wives tales. Maybe so, but .... err on the side of caution is my way. Back to your cages. I was thinking instead of trashing the ones you are using now, next year get you some zipties and fasten up a little higher. If you like. Everything we do for our garden is what WE LIKE. Not what someone else thinks we need to do. You keep on keepin on !!! Anyone asks tell em I said so.�� You have a good one. And thank you for the pictures.
Aloha
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #272
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today was the first regular pain level day for me in a long while. On the scale of 0 to 10 - it was a 4 today. Those are days that I can do more than usual, but I also know not to push myself.

The weeks or however long it was before today - I pushed myself just to water with the 4-18-38 / 15.5-0-0 Calcium Nitrate / Magnesium Sulfate mix. I didn't do much more than water the plants and notice they look really good. The pain level was 7 or higher. When I mowed the other day, I did push myself, but I did it slow. When the pain level goes down to 3 that's when I will build things and do things of that nature. That's why I write so often that, "It's all the same day to me" It is difficult for me to keep up with time and days.

(I would usually edit the above part out).

What I did see today is that the tomato plants have grown out of those temporary cages. I didn't control how they are growing. I just didn't think about it. Keeping them going was more important.

Next time, I will show some close-up pictures.

What a post to share, but if you can't be honest - what else is there?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #273
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Salt,
Good on all points. I'm coming up on 58 this year. My friend says "that's nothing, just wait ". I agree. What I think about now, is using my body ,not abusing it. When I was younger it was a different story. Logging, tore up my back and 15 yrs working in a foundry was no better. My point is that we should enjoy our time. I still work, but I really enjoy "my" time. Beers, baseball, time talking story with friends.. thats what I like. Be safe.
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2018   #274
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mark, I just saw your post in your thread 3 minutes ago. I wish there was a way to chat here.
Old June 4, 2018   #275
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Mark, I just saw your post in your thread 3 minutes ago. I wish there was a way to chat here.
Hi Robert, I can always leave you my number? You can call or text if you have any questions, or we could even talk about the weather. LOL I hope all is well.
Take care
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2018   #276
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Mark. I will PM you tomorrow. I have unlimited long distance on the home phone.

HudsonVally, we ate three of the early prolific yellow squash tonight, but my wife made a dish with a ton of spices, so I can't reply on the squash flavor, but it is thin skinned and tender when cooked. I will fry some in a few days - that will tell me more about the squash's flavor.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Lastly, the in-ground tomato garden is done for - for the most part. I will leave the healthy-ish looking plants, but the majority will be pulled and diagnosed soon. They show signs of both RKN and Fusarium Wilt race 3... or maybe a new race 4? Even some of the super hybrids look like I never watered them, and the fruit has BER. The non-super hybrid cherry tomatoes have a thick skin on them. The water is not getting to the plants leaves/fruit/etc.

The difference is more than day and night comparing the container raised plants -vs- the in-ground grown ones. You will see pictures soon. I wish I could say it will be tomorrow, but I never know what my pain level will be. If nothing else, I will get my wife or grandchildren to take pictures. The grandchildren love taking pictures.
Old June 5, 2018   #277
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

The grandchildren love taking pictures.

I bet they love taking them for grandpa! One more way to get them interested in growing plants.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2018   #278
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

In-ground tomato plants. The last picture is/are super hybrids. Experiment = failed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01321.jpg (738.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01322.jpg (777.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01323.jpg (685.8 KB, 106 views)
Old June 5, 2018   #279
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

ALS -

I have not followed this thread in whole but re: containers vs. dirt. Containers=more maintence from a feeding perspective...and or liquid regimine.

Curious re: you last pic/post.
What spurned you to containers . Do you have disease in your veg beds or you are just not having ~stellar results~.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2018   #280
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The tomato plants in post #278 have both RKN and Fusarium Wilt race 3 in the soil. I have known this starting in 2016. My experiment was to compare regular tomato plants versus super hybrids that are at least FFF,N.
Old June 5, 2018   #281
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here are pictures of our tomato and other plants growing in containers. The difference compared to in-ground grown tomatoes (With RKN and FW3) are extreme to say-the-least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01324.JPG (236.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01325.JPG (240.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01328.JPG (233.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01326.JPG (179.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01327.JPG (227.9 KB, 103 views)
Old June 5, 2018   #282
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
ALS -

I have not followed this thread in whole but re: containers vs. dirt. Containers=more maintence from a feeding perspective...and or liquid regimine.

Curious re: you last pic/post.
What spurned you to containers . Do you have disease in your veg beds or you are just not having ~stellar results~.
There are many user names that helped me chose to attempt container gardening, but the main three drove home the point for me. They are:

AKmark (Mark)
ginger2778 (Marsha)
Worth1 (Worth)
Old June 5, 2018   #283
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I see now. Have not had soil issues to warrant me looking into chems to inncoulate it. Uggh. I feel your pain.

Planting in dirt is easier for me on the feeding and watering regimine....compost and wormies and mulch. Easy peasy.

I plant in containers just due to me running out of space in the veg beds. Lots more ~work~ on liquid diet, making sure the fabric pots are watered sometimes 2X a day in the heat of summer, etc.

Heh, given the options, I would choose dirt
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2018   #284
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I'll look forward to another squash-tasting report! I'm growing a container zucchini called Astia this year, along with a yellow and a light green summer squash in mounds. They just germinated yesterday.

I'm glad to hear (and see!) that you're finding success with container gardening!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2018   #285
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

This ought to sell you on the idea of being a container grower, Salt. I'm glad you're having success somewhere! The in-ground hybrids really hit home that "resistance" isn't magic.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote