Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old February 21, 2014   #1
jcrous
Tomatovillian™

Default Sorce for Calcium wanted.

I have very recently converted my first garden bed to a raised bed and filled it with mushroom compost (75% and 25% soil) mix. It is however a bit poor in calcium content.

What are the best sources for calcium?
jcrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #2
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrous View Post
I have very recently converted my first garden bed to a raised bed and filled it with mushroom compost (75% and 25% soil) mix. It is however a bit poor in calcium content.

I believe you have access to dolomite lime?
Old February 21, 2014   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

What's the PH of your beds? Dolomite lime would be a good choice to add Ca and Mg as long as your PH isn't too high already.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #4
jcrous
Tomatovillian™

I have not yet tested, but I believe it will be alkaline due to the mushroom compost. I will test tomorrow.

Johan Crous
jcrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #5
snippits
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrous View Post

If the Ph is in acceptable range, then gypsum will do it. Gypsum is not suppose to raise Ph but lime will. Gypsum also has sulfur in it.

I always put a little bit in my tomato planting holes. Going straight organic this year growing my tomatoes, and I will be using Tomato Tone which has gypsum in it as one of the ingredients. I think most of the calcium and sulphur in Tomato Tone come from gypsum.
snippits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

A simple way to help is simply grind up some egg shells in the blender and add a bit of vinegar. let that soak a couple days then add water, shake, and water your tomatoes with it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #7
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
A simple way to help is simply grind up some egg shells in the blender and add a bit of vinegar. let that soak a couple days then add water, shake, and water your tomatoes with it.
I would think watering tomatoes with vinegar water would be problematic.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #8
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post

The egg shells should neutralize it. Taking a guess without figuring out the chemistry, It might be a calcium acetate solution.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
The egg shells should neutralize it. Taking a guess without figuring out the chemistry, It might be a calcium acetate solution.
ahhh ha! Thanks.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #10
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
You're right Doug, calcium acetate, and carbon dioxide gas
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #11
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Vinegar won't harm the tomatoes. They like a slightly acid soil anyway. So anyway you are not really trying to completely dissolve the eggshells anyway. Just a bit of a jump start. The biology in the soil will take care of the rest. Worms for example love egg shells, once they are ground up small enough. But that is a very slow release. To give the plants a bit of a boost to start the vinegar dissolves some off the shells. Then diluted by water. All good.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014   #12
Lady J
Tomatovillian™

In addition to egg shells, I grind up all my crab shells and add them to the soil as well. It not only adds calcium, but also adds chitin.
Lady J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have added ground oyster shells to my beds before and raised my calcium levels significantly. Most feed stores sell it as grit for chickens. I also put all of our egg shells into the compost which also adds calcium. If you could get some Texas Tomato Food it has a lot of calcium in it but I don't know if it can be purchased outside the USA.

I used tons of fresh mushroom compost for years but it raised my ph to an unacceptable level after a few years. It seems that sometimes the mix would be extremely alkaline but things sure grew good in it for a while. I have been working to get my ph down naturally for the last three years and it is finally getting a bit lower and the plants are healthier now.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2014   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

You might be able to get a liquid calcium at a hydroponics store in your country.
Old May 8, 2014   #15
Uncle Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

Like others here if PH is ok I would use gypsum to raise calcium. If ph needed raised I would use lime to raise ph and calcium. If my plants needed a quick fix of calcium I would use a product that contained a chealated calcium.
Tim

Last edited by mdvpc; May 9, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
Uncle Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote