Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old November 12, 2015   #1
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Default Best shelling pea ?

I was looking for recommendations on what is a great yielding, disease tolerant shelling pea. I can grow both bush and vine types here. I have only tried Lincoln peas so far and had pretty good success with them. I want keep my gardens production year round if possible.

Cheers !

Mark
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2015   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps writing a letter to Will Bonsall,...

www.gardeningplaces.com/scatterseed.htm

...pleading for a rare variety that is in need of preservation, would work.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2015   #3
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

There are a lot of newer varieties out there which I have yet to try, but my best recommendation would be Green Arrow. It has long pods, fairly large peas, and a pretty good yield. You could train the vines to climb, but I have never found support to be necessary.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What do you mean by shelling pea.
Cow peas, black eyed peas English peas etc?
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2015   #5
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Sorry about that, English peas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
What do you mean by shelling pea.
Cow peas, black eyed peas English peas etc?
Worth
Old November 12, 2015   #6
imp
Tomatovillian™

I like Tall Telephone, but it is an older one, and perhaps not disease resistant. Wando, same deal. I prefer the wrinkled peas.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2015   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Maestro is my favorite.
Old November 13, 2015   #8
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I've tried lots of varieties, and still grow several each year, but Lincoln is always my main crop, because it is reliable, and the best tasting when picked young enough. Plus, it freezes fantastically.
Old November 13, 2015   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

You mentioned hot and dry in your melon thread.

So, Wando is about as good as it gets for hot weather conditions. And, there might not be much disease in dry conditions? Of course, you might not be doing peas at the same time as melons, and those conditions may not be the same for you.
Old November 13, 2015   #10
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
You mentioned hot and dry in your melon thread.

So, Wando is about as good as it gets for hot weather conditions. And, there might not be much disease in dry conditions? Of course, you might not be doing peas at the same time as melons, and those conditions may not be the same for you.
It is pretty much always dry here, and sun hours are always great. I am growing peas early spring and will try again in the fall. I had very good success with Lincoln peas, but I am always looking to see if I can do better or find better. I am hoping in a year or two to master my gardens to maximize its potential. I grow other cold veggies too like spinach, lettuce, mustards and stuff. I rather have more peas and less spinach, sorry Popeye. Until this year I hadn't had much luck with peas, but the worm has turned and I am starting to figure this desert gardening out. So I figured I would look to see what people had for high yielding tasty English peas, and tougher the plant the better. I also had good success with Golden Snow Peas, so they will be mass planted next time too. A lot easier to pick due to their yellow pods.

I think Wando and Tall telephone peas will be added to my Lincolns for next year. I will try to trial one or 2 new ones every year.

PS ...sorry if i am inconsistent or lapsing in replies, its helter skelter these days here so i am stretched thin like too little butter over toast. I do read all replies and try to reply as best I can. I really appreciate and value everyone's opinion and advice here.

Cheers !

Mark
Old November 13, 2015   #11
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've tried lots of varieties, both op and hybrid and have settled on Premium for the best shelling pea in my conditions- which tend not to be hot or dry in the early spring, which is the only time I've had success. I use support and like varieties that are sweet, freeze well and produce quickly and heavily. Lincoln gets diseased too quickly here and takes longer to mature than Premium. I buy the seed in bulk from Johnny's.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2015   #12
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I am thinking though that hot and dry do not equate good pea growing weather. Good luck on any you find to be successful, though.
Old November 13, 2015   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I am thinking though that hot and dry do not equate good pea growing weather. Good luck on any you find to be successful, though.
Mendozas best time to grow cool weather peas is later in the year they are below the equator and July and August are the coldest months.
Like us they rarely get below freezing but we get 3 times more rain.
The other difference is ours is in the winter and theirs is in the summer.
Me thinks.
Rain average is only around 8 inches so just about anything they want to grow is by way of irrigation.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2015   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My 2 cents here: I think Wando is a really good pea too.

Sometimes my eyes and mind play tricks on me - lol when I first saw this thread's title I thought it said "Best Spelling Bee" I think it's time to clean my eyeglasses
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2015   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'll be hosting a legume swap very shortly. If you'd like a small sample of likely several different varieties let me know. Also, let me know if Customs are easy to get a package past.