Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 13, 2015   #16
mashermike
Tomatovillian™

I'm with Linda, fully ripe here. And always just before the rain. Sungold = splitter.
mashermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015   #17
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

When to pick must be determined by experimentation. As the fruit ripen, the flavor changes. And we all have different preferences, which sometimes are hard to even describe.

This is true of most tomatoes.

One other note -- as the season/weather changes, the color associated with flavor profiles change as well. In other words, a color associated with maximal flavor (for you) may not remain constant over the course of a season.

I really think this is a situation where personal taste-testing fruits of different ripeness is much more valuable than the consensus in this thread.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Cool Worth, nice truck.

I'm collecting Cherokee tomato seeds through trades here. So far, I have Cherokee Chocolate, Lime, and Purple. I know there is one called Cherokee Green, but I'm unsure if Green and Lime are the same thing or not?

I wonder if there are Cherokee YWR, OWR, WWR and all the other When Ripe varieties? Could you imagine a huge blue when ripe tomato.
Cherokee Chocolate is the same as Cherokee Purple, but did have a mutation that appeared in Craig's garden, CP has a clear epidermis and CC mutated to a yellow epidermis which gave it that darker color.

No, Cherokee Green and Cherokee Lime are very different varieties with different origins,

I see that Tania has not listed Cherokee Lime yet, but Googling will answer that question.

Then there's Cherokee Lime Stripes andothe Cherokeeones as well.

Just noting that my tax preparer has been here for the last two hours, I had papers to sign, and we ended up talking about food, so it anyone has answered the question before I hit the submit button, I apologize,

Carolyn
Old May 15, 2015   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The forecast is for inches of rain again tomorrow, and we have already seen some splitting. We picked and ate the top two Sungold tomatoes in post #1. They tasted kind of citrus-like and not much like a tomato. I guess we need to let them be fall-off-the-vine ripe before trying them again.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
The forecast is for inches of rain again tomorrow, and we have already seen some splitting. We picked and ate the top two Sungold tomatoes in post #1. They tasted kind of citrus-like and not much like a tomato. I guess we need to let them be fall-off-the-vine ripe before trying them again.
They are never going to taste like a tomato.
And they will ripen and taste just fine if you pick them early.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
you need Cherokee chocolate then
KO
And Cherokee Lemon, and Cherokee Lime Stripes! Stay Tuned to Carolyn's seed offers.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

These ones are ripe.

These aren't they are about 3 days off but need to be picked at this stage if heave rain is in the forecast.
Old May 16, 2015   #23
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Worth,

Your photos illustrate my point. You call the tomatoes in the top photo "ripe". For me, those are "over-ripe". You call the tomatoes in your lower photo "3 days off" and I call them "peak flavor".
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #24
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Mine never got that orange! Just a touch of that bright orange on the stem end. Any longer, and they would split.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #25
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

To me, when they are dead ripe or over-ripe, they are just sweet, sweet, sweet -- and not that appealing to me. When they are mid-ripe(?) they have a more interesting flavor with the fruity sweetness balanced by a nice acidity which is what I prefer. Fred H. is right in that everyone needs to try them at difference stages of ripeness determined by color and softness of flesh to figure out personal preference.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #26
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Of the two tomatoes we ate, One was the color of those in pic #2. The other was between pic 1 and 2 in color. The overall taste was good.

I'm wondering if the fact that we have had overcast skies for two weeks may also factor in on how they taste?
Old May 16, 2015   #27
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, aren't the first tomatoes ripened not necessarily the best tasting the plant will produce? They might get better as you get more sun.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #28
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Salt - I think the lack of hot temps means that tomato flavor is going to be much less intense that in most years. I expect that to change soon, but, for those ripening right now, flavor has been good, but, not as good as what it will be. Have we seen a temp above 85 this year? If so, it wasn't for more than a hour or two then right back to raining and overcast.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Both of my Sungold plants are way over the top of the 6 foot Texas Tomato Cages.
The other plants are too.

I'm sort of at a loss as to weather I should flip the bottoms of some more cages and stack them on top.

Worth
Old May 18, 2015   #30
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Dewayne, On Sunday, the Fox 4 weather person hinted at an upper level high being here sometime next week, but she did say maybe.

I'm sure you are right on the lack of sun and tomato flavor.