Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 3, 2015   #16
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
Since I put habanero fruit around my tomatoes, I haven't lost one tomato. I tried the a spray from habanero first, that did nothing. But once they chomped on a habanero, I haven't seen a squirrel in the garden, nor lost any fruit.
Roughly what proportion guardian habaneros/tomatoes?

I haven't had a squirrel problem in the garden in the past, but late last year began seeing one investigating the area -- and have seen him even now that garden produce is gone -- am apprehensive about the future as where one goes, the eleven thousand that live in nearby forests are likely to follow.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A few words on air rifles, Europe is the place to look because many countries have restrictions on fire arms.
I learned this from a guy that lived in the Netherlands back in 1982 on a plane.
These guys have some serious air rifles.
My friend had one that was a pistol.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #18
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

I've seen places where people said they bagged fruit (not just blossoms) to protect against furry and feathery poachers. Has anyone tried this to deal with squirrels? Hard to do to protect fruit in quantity, of course, but I was wondering if it had been found to work well on those fruit that were bagged.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
I've seen places where people said they bagged fruit (not just blossoms) to protect against furry and feathery poachers. Has anyone tried this to deal with squirrels? Hard to do to protect fruit in quantity, of course, but I was wondering if it had been found to work well on those fruit that were bagged.
I saw a pictuer where a woman bagged all of the fruit on her loquat tree.
It was a big tree.

The critters know at the exact time of ripeness to clean one out over night.

Worth
Old November 3, 2015   #20
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I guess if the neighbor lady sees me walking around with a fur jacket with big fuzzy tails all over it she will know what happened to the squirrels.

Worth
If that's a squirrel coat she has on,you grow some very large one's down there.lolI know it's not but you could make some Davy Crocket hats.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #21
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=cjp1953;511949]If that's a squirrel coat she has on,you grow some very large one's down there.lolI know it's not but you could make some Davy Crockett hats.:
Old November 3, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
If that's a squirrel coat she has on,you grow some very large one's down there.lolI know it's not but you could make some Davy Crocket hats.
I dont want anyone to hate me for this but at one time I worked at a fur buyers place skinning and scraping critters for furs.
I really could make a squirrel coat that size tails and all.
Looks like it would take about 50 or 60 of them and a lot of work.

They really do make coats out of squirrels.
Dyed Russian squirrel back coat.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; November 3, 2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old November 3, 2015   #23
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I dont want anyone to hate me for this but at one time I worked at a fur buyers place skinning and scraping critters for furs.
I really could make a squirrel coat that size tails and all.
Looks like it would take about 50 or 60 of them and a lot of work.

They really do make coats out of squirrels.
Dyed Russian squirrel back coat.

Worth
I don't see a problem with that,we have to many squirrels here in Cuyahoga Falls.I was on a bike trail today riding my mountain bike and in my 20 mile ride I had 3 of those little critters run out in front of me.Wilh all the leaves down,hitting one would put me on the ground.They're hiding acorns and such things for the winter meals.Very active.50 or 60,that would be a lot of work.
Old November 3, 2015   #24
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Rocky was the last good squirrel. My ancient neighbor who grows beautiful Cherokee Purple seems to keep them in check for all of us with a small Havahart trap. Says he relocates them, but he never leaves his place, truck sits months without moving. I'm not too inquisitive about that stuff.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #25
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Rocky was the last good squirrel. My ancient neighbor who grows beautiful Cherokee Purple seems to keep them in check for all of us with a small Havahart trap. Says he relocates them, but he never leaves his place, truck sits months without moving. I'm not too inquisitive about that stuff.
relocates to the freezer or compost pile
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2015   #26
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I still haven't had a squirrel bother a tomato in 5 years. I've looked into this many times. The top three results always come up being:

1. Provide water for squirrels.
2. Have cats as pets.
3. Own a Boarder Collie without bounds (Boundaries).

I think the answer may be that squirrels look for their natural food first and then resort to whatever is there. If there are dogs and cats defending their territory - maybe squirrels move on to somewhere else? Although, they (squirrels) stay here like it's home-sweet-home. Maybe it's all the oak trees we have producing acorns - I'm guessing, but it is just a guess at best. Being the squirrels are happy here without bothering the gardens - I like watching them and listening to them. I can walk within 10 feet of them and they don't care.

If we ever have problems with the squirrels eating tomatoes, I have pre WWII 22 that will bring one down. I'll feed it to that boarder collie and then open the gates to the garden. Nature takes care of itself. Sometimes the results are appalling and sometimes they are positive. So far, nature doesn't need my help - I would rather it stay that way.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; November 3, 2015 at 10:10 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2015   #27
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have quite a few dogs and they do try to catch the squirrels all the time. I have come to the realization that the squirrels are smarter than my dogs. They just wait for the dogs to go in their houses and go to sleep then they feast. The squirrels know the quickest escape routes when the dogs try to catch them and always seem to make it in just the nick of time leaving the dogs frustrated but eager to try again. This results in quite a bit of barking and carrying on.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2015   #28
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

100% loss in Atlanta until the acorns ripened in August. I must have lost 1000 pounds of tomatoes.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2015   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The ones around here are going to be finger licking good.
I bet they have a 1/4 inch of fat on them from all of the food they are getting.
They waddle when they walk.
Skin and clean young ones, soak in brine over night flip in flour and fry with biscuits fried taters and gravy.

Worth
Old November 4, 2015   #30
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

JLJ-They were getting into my raised beds at the same place every day. You could see where they sat and chomped on my tomatoes, leaving skins, etc around. So I simply put two habanero at that place. The next day, you could see where they have chomped into the hab. I haven't lost a tomato since. They chomped on a hab a couple more times, but now they are leaving them, and my tomatoes alone.