Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 6, 2014   #1
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking to buy a San Marzano plant and is this a good source?

We haven't replaced our tommy plants yet....this year we are doing just one organic heirloom (I don't want hybrid,preferably) indeterminate plant, in a self watering container on its tod (last year we ignorantly crowded plants in one container and it wasn't bliss).

Obviously it's too late for seeds. And to be truthful I'm not that green thumb talented or inclined yet, so we plant young plants we usually get from the garden centers...

But my hubby has decided he wants to specifically grow San Marzano tomatoes...because that chef on disney junior (that he claims irritates him so), stated they make the best sauces and are Italian of origin.

I don't remember seeing them when I last looked at my local garden center, only remember hybrid Roma plums. So I'm looking online for a back up purchase plan and I found this site.

http://streambankgardens.com/Tomato_San_Marzano.html

Does anyone buy from this site? Is it a good site to buy pants from? Also how does a plant fair in shipping? I've never had one shipped before and I'm worried about the method and safety of the plant.

Thanks in advance.

Hannah
SmittenGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I recalled some southern Calif. members mentioning some large tomato-plant sales in the past, so I googled and found this
http://www.latimes.com/home/la-lh-sh...#axzz2y5jc7K9e

If any of those are close enough, they'd be good bets.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #3
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks

Sadly the closest one ends before my husband can get back from work tomorrow. We won't make it
Old April 6, 2014   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I start my own from seeds, so I have no personal experience with buying plants on line. However, I do know the owner of this place is a member here --

http://www.selectedplants.com
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #5
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

If you live in the inland California area. Or are up for a short drive. You can go to ucr's plant sale at their botanical gardens. Their seedlings were grown by the master gardener program and cost about 2.50 which is a really good price imo. Not only that, but they also have a fairly nice selection of both tomatoes and other veggies. And some pretty cool peppers as well.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #6
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I have grown these the past three years and they do make great sauce,I like them better than Roma that I grew before I was able to find San Marzano at a local garden store.Hop you have some luck in getting some plants.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #7
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Hannah,

What area of So Cal do you live in? If you're anywhere close to San Diego (or would like to take a road trip down here), I run a small nursery business in San Diego, and this year I'm growing several heirloom Roma/paste varieties that I'm selling as seedlings (but not San Marzano, unfortunately ). I would be happy to give you as many free seedlings as you want/need.

Laurel's Heirloom Tomatoes in LA does have San Marzano Redorta plants. Here is a link: http://www.heirloomtomatoplants.com/...20Tomatoes.htm

I know she sells by mail order and has several in-house plant sales in the spring. Might be a shorter trip for you.

@Father'sDaughter - I don't think Darrel from Selected Plants can ship plants to CA (agricultural restrictions).

Some years back when I was just getting into growing heirlooms, I ordered some plants from Laurel and also from some other west coast companies. The plants did fine in the mail. The biggest drawback was the shipping costs -- I ended up spending about $80 for 6 plants. The next year I started growing my own from seeds!

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Growing any Roma/paste type, especially in a SWC in very likely to result in BER. Make sure your add the dolomite. I grow in Earth Boxes, as do several others here. Using Calcium Nitrate (1 TBSP) weekly down the watering tube is a great insurance against BER.

The "Big Deal" about San Marzanos is the lava rich soil they are grown in in Italy. Those are they ones they charge an arm and leg for at the store. Any number of pastes or even hearts will give you a good sauce.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #9
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys we are in Culver City......so west LA area is where we have been searching for our plants. My husband does work his train down to San Diego but he doesn't have the means or time to go very far from San Diego station before he works his way back to LA.

Where is laurel located in LA? Does she have a nursery open to public?
Old April 6, 2014   #10
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Growing any Roma/paste type, especially in a SWC in very likely to result in BER. Make sure your add the dolomite. I grow in Earth Boxes, as do several others here. Using Calcium Nitrate (1 TBSP) weekly down the watering tube is a great insurance against BER.

The "Big Deal" about San Marzanos is the lava rich soil they are grown in in Italy. Those are they ones they charge an arm and leg for at the store. Any number of pastes or even hearts will give you a good sauce.
We are looking to put the plant in our city pickers box....I think it's an alternate brand but the same as an earth box...it does say in instructions to use dolomite in soil.

Forgive my ignorance but what is BER? I'm still new to all this
Old April 6, 2014   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Sorry. My fault. We were all new once. BER is Blossom End Rot. (Google it) Paste types are notorious for getting it. It has to do with an inability to uptake and utilize calcium. It makes ugly black spots at the very bottom of your tomato.

City Pickers or Patio Pickers are a smaller version of Earthbox but operate on the same principal, as do global buckets and EarthTainers.

I think Laurel is around Santa Monica, not sure hopefully someone who knows will post.
Old April 7, 2014   #12
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Laurel is in Lomita. Most of her business is online/mail order, but she does open her nursery up for plant sales several times a year. It looks like she is having the next one a week from today: http://www.heirloomtomatoplants.com/Plant%20Sale.htm.

Here is her home page: http://www.heirloomtomatoplants.com/ which explains her business.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2014   #13
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the clarification and location of laurel. ..I think my husband is considering emailing her on her website. I'm not sure if we will make it to one of her open sales days or have to order one...

As for the blossom end rot I will start doing your suggestion. Last year our Tommy's seemed to go quickly from unripe to rotten in a blink of an eye and the bottom of most Tommy's were black sometimes and looked like something had been at the tip or tip was going south. I blamed it on my ignorantly plantIng too many in one planter (didn't know I should not plant more than only one tomato and nothing else in one planter.)and also powdery mildew......I'm wondering if it was also blossom end rot....I didn't add anything after the initial 2 cups of fertilizer buried in a 2 inch trench in the planter at set up. But I'm wondering if I can do both calcium nitrate to the water as well as the initial fertilizer in the set up of the planter or will it over do it?
Old April 15, 2014   #14
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Those of us that use Calcium Nitrate use it as a supplement, it is not going to replace your fertilizer strip. Go ahead and apply fert and dolomite at plant out. Also I made a mistake on my initial posting. Its one TEASPOON per week, not one TBSP. If you cant find Calcium Nitrate locally you can order it online. Kelp4less sells a pretty small size for home gardners and has free shipping.
Old April 15, 2014   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Those of us that use Calcium Nitrate use it as a supplement, it is not going to replace your fertilizer strip. Go ahead and apply fert and dolomite at plant out. Also I made a mistake on my initial posting. Its one TEASPOON per week, not one TBSP. If you cant find Calcium Nitrate locally you can order it online. Kelp4less sells a pretty small size for home gardners and has free shipping.
+1 -that is my source, and I swear by the stuff. Last year I had BER, this year I put 1 tsp per week down the tube of the Earthbox, and 80 plants, zero BER. Thanks Linda, and Raybo for posting about it.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
company review request , san marzano tomato plants