Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 11, 2011   #1
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Default Ohio Heirloom Seeds- 2013 Catalog - 10 New Tomato Varieties

Hello Everyone,

We are happy to be offering some new tomato varieties this year thanks to some gardening friends in Germany, Ukraine, and Russia.

We grew 15 new varieties this season and had great success with most. Of the 15 grown we settled on the best 10 for our 2013 catalog. The five that missed the cut were excluded primarily due to inadequate taste or poor heat-tolerance. And we had plenty of heat to tolerate!!

Our summer here in central Ohio was the second hottest on record, with little rain in July and August. We experienced 52 days with high temperatures exceeding 90F. Fortunately, we were able to keep up with the necessary watering, added a little shade, and had a great crop. Here’s the list of our new varieties:

Mr. Bruno- Prolific Australian variety
Russian Queen- Plum-shaped
Amurskij Tigr- "Amur Tiger"- striped cherry variety
Pertsewidnij Schelmij- “Gold Pepper-Shaped”- Super Sweet!
Strawberry- Large fruit to 2 pounds
Lehrertomate- “Teacher’s Tomato”- Large fruit to 2 pounds
Sacharnaja Silwa Malinowaja- “Raspberry-Colored Sugarplum”
Black Cherry- Very tasty
Azoychka- Nice yellow beefsteak
Japanese Trifele Black- Great taste
Rozovyi Myod (We sold this last year as “Siberian Pink Honey”)

You can view pictures and read the full descriptions here:
http://www.ohioheirloomseeds.com/Tomato_Seeds.html

Several of the new varieties, including Stawberry and Russian Queen, yielded over 25 pounds per plant. Another, Lehrertomate, produced quite a few fruit over 2 pounds.

We should also mention that all of our plants are organically-grown.

Thanks for taking a look at our products and don’t hesitate to email should you have any questions.

Mike and Lyuda
michael@ohioheirloomseeds.com
http://www.ohioheirloomseeds.com/

P.S. Enter “tville” in the coupon code box for 10% off your order!
$3 shipping on international orders

Feedback on our company: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ab=AllFeedback

MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #2
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Hey there, love your website. You have great pictures of the tomatoes, and some I have never heard of before! Also, very reasonable prices. I'll try to order from you sometime, I like ordering my seeds from fellow tomatovillians who I actually know.

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #3
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Taryn. I appreciate the compliment as I spend WAY too much time on photography.

-Mike
Old December 11, 2011   #4
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Where exactly in Ohio are you? I recognize New Albany and Blacklick where some of your plants are grown as I live in Sunbury just north of there. Great to see another Ohio Tvillian.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #5
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

We are in Gahanna, but our grow area goes from Johnstown to Mansfield. I have a few plots just north of your in northern Delaware County- it's a little cooler than here, as you know. The tomatoes do a little better up there.

Nice to hear from you too!

-Mike
Old December 11, 2011   #6
lurley
Tomatovillian™

too awesome! I lived in Gahanna for 10 years before I moved here 10 years ago
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to Tomatoville, Mike- nice to see you here. I just placed and order with you today.

Kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #8
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Greetings from Gahanna, Lurey. It' still here, although much bigger than 10 years ago.

Thank you, Kath. Yes, I processed your order earlier. Much appreciated. I've spent the past 4 hours reading posts. I'm hooked. I'm sure we'll be chatting again.

Regards,
Mike
Old December 11, 2011   #9
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I have used these good folks and got my seeds well labelled, fast, and eager to germinate. Thanks, Mike, and keep up the good work.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post
Hi,

We carry 25 varieties of heirloom, open-pollinated tomato varieties along with over 100 varieties of peppers, lettuce, herbs, carrots, etc:

http://www.ohioheirloomseeds.com/

If you have any questions feel free to email me directly.

Mike
michael@ohioheirloomseeds.com
Welcome Mike. I thought maybe I missed you introducing yourself in the Town Hall Forum, but nope, not there, so now's the time to say Hi!

THe link to your website must be getting hot for the Siberian Pink Honey variety b'c of folks here talking about it with references to you, and all else in the thread that was started about it.

Some have questioned about the source being from Siberia but Andrey, in the new thread about growing large fruited varieties just confirmed it is from Siberia. If you read the general Google link I put up I think it's very possible that it isn't an heirloom, probably a "selection" of something as was mentioned.

Who cares, really, it it's a great tasting variety.

I haven't bought any tomato seeds in over 20 years so I'll just wait until someone saves some seed and then dicker with them , that's if you give me that one I can offer this one in return.

You'll find that in general I don't trade seeds except if someone sends me a variety previously undistributed, and each year I do a large seed offer, and that's coming up in a few weeks. If you look in the TRADE subforum of the Seed Exchange you'll find my offer for last year and the way I go about it.

Being chained to a walker after a fall in Dec of 2004 and severing all four quads in my right leg I can't do what I use to do in terms of hundreds of plants and varieties each season. So now Craig in NC raises my plants and sends them up and Shoe and Lee in NC and Neil in IL help with seed production.

And I try to grow only varieties that will be new to almost everyone, so my job is finding those seeds.

Again welcome, great to have you here.
Old December 12, 2011   #11
mmcd75
Tomatovillian™

Mike, its great to see you here, I have previously ordered seeds from you and was very satisfied, can't wait to take a look at the new catalog.
mmcd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #12
clara
Tomatovillian™

Mike, do you ship to Germany, too? I've tried to place an order, but it didn't work... clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #13
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Hi Clara,

Yes I do. Unfortunately my shopping cart wont accept international orders. You can email me your selections and I'll send you an invoice.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
Mike, do you ship to Germany, too? I've tried to place an order, but it didn't work... clara
Old December 12, 2011   #14
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, mmcd. I am glad you were pleased with your seeds.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcd75 View Post
Mike, its great to see you here, I have previously ordered seeds from you and was very satisfied, can't wait to take a look at the new catalog.
Old December 12, 2011   #15
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

Question I have grown the Carbon tomato before. the seed I bought elsewhere but they grew great very nice tomato very dark but they looked nothing like your picture that you have. are yours a paste type? are there more than one Carbon tomatoes?
this is a couple of my carbons along with some Juliet tomatoes

Tags
mikeinohio , ohio heirloom seeds , rare tomato seeds