Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 13, 2012   #16
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggydog View Post
Mabe you could check those anamal names again and see if you put them in the right spot?
Is there a problem? Chicken and cow are really hot and the others not nearly so. I have had cow manure that was 5 years old and would still burn plants. The others I listed break down really quickly and with the exception of horse/donkey, can even be used fresh if tilled in well.

Horse manure is not very hot but we aged ours in big piles that were turned with the tractor about 3 times a year.

Chicken poo is the worst because it contains high levels of urea.
Old January 13, 2012   #17
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Do you ever have any left over compost? I don't have animals to compost from, so I am always looking for more! If you ever have extra to give away let me know.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2012   #18
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I just put about a ton of last summer's pile on the garden last week, but the next time we clean out the horse lot we will start a 2012 pile for 2013. That said, any time you need a few wheelbarrows full, no problem. I'll not use anymore till fall after first frost kills the garden except on trees and shrubs, besides I would love to talk garden in person. Also anytime you need a couple of buckets or so it is always in the horse lot. We live about 2miles East of Catalina. Just pm me for address any time you like. I'm retired and gardening, fishing and grandkids are my only job.
John
also: a guy about a mile west of me has manure from two cows and two sheep in a lot that he is always trying to give away. a couple of years ago when we built our home and started the garden we got a couple of truck loads from him till we got the horses and chickens going.
Old January 14, 2012   #19
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
If someone would have told me 10 years ago that I would be excited over some cow crap, I would not have believed them!.....
I don't know what was going on, but I sure hope amending the heck out of my beds will help.

Congratulations! You'll love it. I used to buy myself a dump-truck full from my dairy neighbor every year for $20, for his gas. I had an amazing garden on a former gravel lot.

Never too much organic amendments! Buy some taller tomato posts.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2012   #20
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

The only manure I was able to get was chicken, and it was already mostly composted and FULL of red worms. The lady who raises 400 chickens sells it in bags partly composted for 4 bucks each. I may offer her a trade of tomatoes next year for the compost as she has a lot of shade on her farm. Hmm...she does have a few sheep too, and she sells the wool, but I think it's all mixed in with the chickens. I put about 12 big bags of shredded leaves in there, my pumpkins (removed the seeds first!), a lot of kitchen scraps and some grass. Now all I see is some larger pieces of cantaloupe skins and some eggshells we forgot to crunch up. Still won't be enough though for the tomatoes!