Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2016   #1
TigrikT
Tomatovillian™

Default Transplanting tomatoes

The soil temp on average is 54-55F now. Should I wait for soil warmed up to 60F or can transplant now? The night temps in upper 40. Day temps - upper 60. Thx
TigrikT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #2
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

I put mine out last night in zone 6B, they were getting root bound indoors and I have been hardening them off for 2 weeks but the last week was all rain so I kept them inside and they really didnt like it. They look good this morning. I have 29 plants in raised beds and 9 in containers
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #3
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

I've been waiting for this ridiculous amount of rain to end. My plants going in this week

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #4
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

so glad i put them out last night, my soil was pretty wet so i didnt water them in, git about a 30 min shower right before sunrise which did the trick and now sun and a slight breeze.
Old May 8, 2016   #5
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

I tried to plant mine out earlier this year because temps were in the 70s-80s. After I planted out, the weather changed in my area literally overnight.

With the rain storms and all, our temps dropped to freezing temps. So half the tomato plants I planted out early froze and died.

Our temps have been ranging around 45-50s now with the occasional hail storm.

Right now, my tomatos are hating me.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #6
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Planting mine out in zone 6 later this week. Even though I have been hardening mine for last two weeks, I prefer to plant mine when the skies are cloudy to partly so as not to "push the envelope"...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #7
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

You might want to take a look at this recent thread, which is about the same question:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40820

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrikT View Post
The soil temp on average is 54-55F now. Should I wait for soil warmed up to 60F or can transplant now? The night temps in upper 40. Day temps - upper 60. Thx
That is just Fine (54 55F). I planted mine when it is 48F -50 or better.
After planting I water them with lukewarm water ( ~65 -75 F). that also helps to warm up the soil few more degrees.

Another little thing to help raise soil temperature :

Dig the hole and spread what comes out of the hole on a piece of plastic and let it bake under the sun for a few hours. Of course this is if you plant limited numbers and it is sunny day.
Here is a picture to demonstrate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trick.jpg (128.2 KB, 175 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #9
TigrikT
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone!
I wintersown mine and they are only started to have the first true leaves. The end of the week looks promising.
Old May 8, 2016   #10
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrikT View Post
Thanks everyone!
I wintersown mine and they are only started to have the first true leaves. The end of the week looks promising.
Interesting !
But you will going to be behind by about 4-5 weeks compared to having some 8 to 10" tall plants.

Gardenee
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #11
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyhat View Post
I put mine out last night in zone 6B, they were getting root bound indoors and I have been hardening them off for 2 weeks but the last week was all rain so I kept them inside and they really didnt like it. They look good this morning. I have 29 plants in raised beds and 9 in containers
Interesting, I will have to check the soil temp tomorrow. I am maybe 25 miles north. This is my first year from seed and first year for raised beds. In previous years, I would not plant out $2 ea store bought plants in-ground this early. However, with this new situation...I may try to get some out on Tuesday, as Monday should be the last night this week in the 40s. I have a lot potted up to 4"+ or in 4" soil blocks, and many have been sitting under a low plastic tunnel for the last couple weeks. I also have plenty of backups still in 2" blocks.

Maybe this is the year to get a great jump? I would like to get tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash and beans in as soon as possible, but I am still pretty new to anything but tomatoes.

EDIT: I had to look up wintersown...yeah that is interesting. I invested in a grow light and small heat mat for the first time and that set me back about $100 between them.

Last edited by JRinPA; May 8, 2016 at 11:19 PM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #12
TigrikT
Tomatovillian™

I have a soil thermometer and i have raised beds (no frame though), but I check the Rutgers weather website to see their measurements. They are methodical and accurate. Here is the website
http://www.njweather.org/data
Last year, I did part of the plants under the lights, and part wintersow. I was away and came back around this time to find my under the light plants stunted (obviously not enough light as t8 are loosing power with time). So I repoted the tomatoes at coledon stages and put them into the ground may 31. I gave away repotted wintersown plants to my friends as extras. I know they did very well till were stunt by deer. So no data on wintersown from the last year.
I had my first beefsteak - Brandywine - pretty early , mid July. The rest were ready beginning of August and were producing till October. I grow beefsteaks and Roma only, not grape or cherry.
Our climate here is pretty good for tomatoes.
But I will let you know with these wintersown experiments. I am not planning to repot them and plan to put into the soil as soon as it warms up to 58-60. Skipping re-potting. No hardening needed.

Last edited by TigrikT; May 9, 2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old May 9, 2016   #13
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

i have 2 beds, 8ft x 5 ft, 16ft x 4ft and then 10 5 gallon pots. i decided tonight to wrap the 8ftx5ft bed in movers cellophane (3ft tall by 1000ft long roll) to make a temporary hot house, i want to see the difference this makes.