Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 14, 2016   #1
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Default Hippie Zebra x Purple Dragon F2

This is one of those crosses I made on looks alone. I wanted to see what a cross of two of the coolest looking tomatoes I know of looked like crossed. Pretty cool as it turns out.

I loved how much variety I'm got in the growouts from this line.Here's the first to ripen. Pretty good taste in most of these.

FY 3-1, 3-6 and 3-3
FY3-3 is getting carried forward for sure. Very nice, acid taste, also pretty early. My tasting notes say "GROW IT"

L 10-1 Later in the season, but looks and taste are both there.

FY 3-6 Taste was a 6/10. Great antho, very nice production, could be
earlier.

L 10-3 By far the biggest surprise to come out of this line this year. White fruit (they mature to a very pale pink) with black stripes, on a VERY dark plant. Super cool.

The others -

PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

wow! interesting colors. I wish I had more time and space to grow more than I am. maybe next year I will try a couple more for you though. I didn't do the dwarf project due to time constraints with taking care of my inlaws but... these looks so cool, very tempting!
Old October 5, 2016   #3
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Here's some F3's out of this cross -

L 9-16 - When I first made this cross, it was all about looks, and this has the looks! The flavor'sl just OK, but I have hope...

FY 3-9

FY 3-5

FY CH Good flavor.

L 6-11, L 6-12 -both very early, 6-11 had good taste, 6-12 wasn't so good. Kind of a mushy texture.

L 6-4 - good looks, tough skin, taste 7.5/10, very early.

L 9-1, L 6-13
L 6-13 taste 6.5/10 early; L 9-1 taste 5/10, early.

L 6-6,L 6-1, L 6-9 -
L 6-1 taste 8/10, early. L 6-6 - pretty, tasty, early. L 6-9 was a no save.

L 9-10, L 6-4, L 6-7
L 6-7 - a bit bigger taste 7, early. L 9-10 - coral interior, meaty, taste 6, early.

FY 3-6

T 4-2

T 4-3, T 15-1
T4-3 taste 5/10; T15-1- nice, lemony.

T 4-2 (2), T 15-4, T 16-7

L 9-5
Old October 8, 2016   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

beautiful. All are very interesting... especially the black foliage and pale yellow one.
Do you have an issue with drosophila fly getting into your late fruiting plants? We really had a mess with them this year. Very wasteful. I struggled to get the seeds you sent me to do anything. I planted them in pots... just a bit later than I wanted, but I didn't expect it to be soooooooo dry here. We had an inch of rain all Summer. When it came it was too little to late. I watered but it was too hot and too dry to produce much and then the drosophilas invaded and destroyed the few that I managed to get to grow.. I hate spraying but next year I might just to kill off some of those nasty pests. Sorry. I know there are a few seeds out there if you want them back, but it isn't much. I will try to keep those pots specifically for growing this variety next year since I know there must be a few seeds in the soil. I really wanted to try them, too. Sorry!
Old October 19, 2016   #5
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
beautiful. All are very interesting... especially the black foliage and pale yellow one.
Do you have an issue with drosophila fly getting into your late fruiting plants? We really had a mess with them this year. Very wasteful. I struggled to get the seeds you sent me to do anything. I planted them in pots... just a bit later than I wanted, but I didn't expect it to be soooooooo dry here. We had an inch of rain all Summer. When it came it was too little to late. I watered but it was too hot and too dry to produce much and then the drosophilas invaded and destroyed the few that I managed to get to grow.. I hate spraying but next year I might just to kill off some of those nasty pests. Sorry. I know there are a few seeds out there if you want them back, but it isn't much. I will try to keep those pots specifically for growing this variety next year since I know there must be a few seeds in the soil. I really wanted to try them, too. Sorry!
No worries. Sometimes we win, some times the pests win.
Let me know if there's any seeds I can send you to try again.