Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 8, 2016   #16
M.SeanF.
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
You can also "harvest" the anthers and dry them inside. If you store them in the refrigerator, you can use the pollen for weeks.
Thanks for the tip. What time of day/weather conditions are best for collecting anthers? Also, how mature should the flower I harvest from be?
M.SeanF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016   #17
M.SeanF.
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allisa View Post
Hi! Congrats! It would be interesting to follow your results! Very tasty and beautiful parents (trying to imaging possible variation at F2).

I checked mine and also got some swollen, some of them didn't make, even though they were a size of a pea, I think because of our heat.

I used Lucid Gem as a pollen and Orange Russian 117 and Rosoviy Myod as a females.

Have tried to get some pollen yesterday and today from 10 am to 6 pm periodically a few times a day, got none, too warm, heat makes a pollen sterile. Our cool days are in the past for this season. But I hope, I will get enough to try and play with next season. I've put some cover on the top of some tomatoes (imitating a roof) and will check if that will make a difference and I will be able to get some more pollen this season.
Congrats as well! Somehow I missed this post earlier. Your cross of OR117 and Lucid Gem sounds very interesting. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your cross. This year is my first time growing Orange Russian and Lucid Gem.

I also have a couple of F1 Japanese Black Trifele X ? growing this year. They are both regular leaf plants from JBT seed I saved last year. So far they look alike. The fruit are all still green, round and about the size of a large saladette or a small slicer. Based on the looks of the fruit, and what I remember growing next to the JBK last year, I think the pollen donor is Pink Boar from Brad Gates. Both plants have multiple fruits so I hope to get plenty of F2 seed. I'll post some photos once they start to ripen.

Sean
Old July 12, 2016   #18
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.SeanF. View Post
Thanks for the tip. What time of day/weather conditions are best for collecting anthers? Also, how mature should the flower I harvest from be?
I don't have the collecting down to an exact science.

Weather: I usually collect in the morning on fairly young blossoms (ideally just before they have released the pollen on their own). I often take the whole blossom and then air dry them on small dishes in my home. Then I remove the anthers and extract the pollen onto a sunglass lens I have collected for this purpose. I then I store the lens in a small plastic container (labeled with pollen type and date) with a drying agent "packet" such as found in pill containers.

Then when you pollinate with the lens you can easily see if the pistil is picking up the pollen from the lens.

Hope this helps.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #19
M.SeanF.
Tomatovillian™

I'll give it a try. I can emasculate the flowers pretty well, sometimes I can even get the petals and anthers to come off in one piece. The weather should be good for fruit setting most of next week here.
Old July 22, 2016   #20
M.SeanF.
Tomatovillian™

When I checked my notebook I realized that in the cross that produced a fruit I used Cou De Bue as the pollen source, not Orange Russian. Not as exciting colour-wise, but should taste pretty good.
Old July 23, 2016   #21
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.SeanF. View Post
When I checked my notebook I realized that in the cross that produced a fruit I used Cou De Bue as the pollen source, not Orange Russian. Not as exciting colour-wise, but should taste pretty good.
Hi! Maybe you'll still have some change to pollinate the ones you wanted. My plants do not produce any pollen due to heat, I checked from 10 am to 4 pm. But after heat wave will be gone there will be more chance to try. Anyway it is/was an interesting experience. Next season will learn if it did work or not)))
Allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #22
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

so much fun, the most fun I have ever had as a gardener. Very important to keep good records and try to resist the temptation to grow out more than is manageable because the space you require multiplies

Best wishes and I hope you find something you really love among your babies in the F2.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #23
Allisa
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
so much fun, the most fun I have ever had as a gardener. Very important to keep good records and try to resist the temptation to grow out more than is manageable because the space you require multiplies

Best wishes and I hope you find something you really love among your babies in the F2.

KarenO
Hi, Karen! Very good advice! You do keep this year thread about your crosses somewhere on the forum? How your tomatoes are doing in the new climate? Any first ripe fruits?
Allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #24
rubbe87
Tomatovillian™

How long do the pollen survive after collecting it?
rubbe87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #25
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbe87 View Post
How long do the pollen survive after collecting it?
Nightshade family pollen, in general, if stored properly can last a significant time (weeks). Try Googling about pollen storage.

Check out this link: http://tgc.ifas.ufl.edu/vol1/v1p11.html

If collected under good conditions, in sealed containers and low humidity - practical viability extends to about six months (but I've never gone that long).

For my home conditions, I save the silica gel packets or canisters (from medicine containers generally), collect the pollen, place it on sunglass lens, put lens and gel packet in small plastic container with a lid and place in my refrigerator (the container has a piece of masking tape placed on it that identifies the tomato variety and when it was collected/stored). Sometimes if I don't feel I have enough pollen or was disappointed in the amount collected, I'll collect again and apply it to the same lens.

I posted this a while ago. Maybe it will be helpful: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37724

Last edited by crmauch; August 1, 2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added information
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote