Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 12, 2016   #1
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Default Four O Clocks and Hornworms

I've grown Four O Clocks in the past, and they did OK -- never seemed to come back well, just grew as annuals, though I was growing them in a warmer area than this -- but I was also even more frantically busy then and perhaps they didn't get enough care.

I suspect that they'd grow here as long as I dug the tubers in fall -- and abundant flowering in mid-late summer, especially once I had grown tubers to replant, is attractive -- but I'm somewhat concerned about who all they might attract.

I gather from discussions I've seen concerning them that they vary widely in fragrance. Whether this variation is due to genetic properties of the particular seed/strain planted or to some aspect of growing conditions I don't know. Does anyone?

And . . . if they did produce the delightful fragrance many report . . . how bad are they about attracting pregnant tomato hornworm parents to the area? Anyone noticed?

I've never had a hornworm problem -- but I believe the parent moth is generally listed as living throughout the 48 states as well as in southern Canada and parts of Mexico -- so I don't think I can't count on their not coming here unless they have an aversion to altitude?

And we don't have roadrunners to deal with them. Lots of magpies, which would probably like them, but I'm not sure they're adapted to tomato hornworm hunting.

Last edited by JLJ_; June 12, 2016 at 09:58 AM.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking it was tobacco ( nicotania) that attracts hornworms.
I bet Remy knows. Maybe send her a message?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Four O'Clocks are a nectar source for the hornworm moth adult, but I'm not sure I would let that keep me from enjoying them.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Four O'Clocks are supposed to kill Japanese Beetles! Too bad I never remember to plant the seeds early enough......

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Four O'Clocks are supposed to kill Japanese Beetles! Too bad I never remember to plant the seeds early enough......

Linda
Okay,planting those next year for sure now!
I must have picked 100 of them off the asparagus this weekend.
Cool though that I got to see an assassin bug kill and eat one!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There are a lot of horn worm type worms out there not all of them eat tomato plants.
They have certain things they are attracted to and that is it.

Plus there is the tomato horn worm and the tobacco horn worm both will eat tomato plants but they aren't the same worm.
The moths even look somewhat like each other for many of these worms but they have slight variations to them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #7
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post

Linda

Hmmmm, wonder if the one I saw on my Four O'Clocks this morning had a death wish 😄
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #8
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Japanese beetles are attracted to Four O'Clocks and eating the plants are fatal to the beetles too. I plant Four O'Clocks up and down my drainage ditch to keep the JP's numbers down. It seems to work pretty darn well.

Moths in general are attracted to flowers with scent. There are many types of Sphinx Moths which the tomato hornworm is only one of them. Not all of them are pests and need to be destroyed. In fact I actually enjoy having most of them around. They are fun to watch hovering through my gardens.
Old June 15, 2016   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Japanese beetles are attracted to Four O'Clocks and eating the plants are fatal to the beetles too. I plant Four O'Clocks up and down my drainage ditch to keep the JP's numbers down. It seems to work pretty darn well.
I never have heard this. What a treasure trove of information.
Old July 6, 2016   #10
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Well the Japanese Beetles have arrived in force here this week. I noticed one of my 4 O'Clocks was badly eaten. I looked under it and low and behold a pile of dead JB's. Yes! This is a plant for me.....
Old July 7, 2016   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

That is so awesome. I have a linden tree and red raspberries. Those nasty beetles devour everything.. or at least ruin it so I still have to pick and toss the berries. wasteful! ... what a nuisance they are but at least they have abated somewhat.
Old July 7, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
That is so awesome. I have a linden tree and red raspberries. Those nasty beetles devour everything.. or at least ruin it so I still have to pick and toss the berries. wasteful! ... what a nuisance they are but at least they have abated somewhat.

They all went to the sushi bar

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2017   #13
JoParrott

I'm looking for a forum to get info on four o"clocks- can someone direct me? I'm looking for seeds for the multicolor or tie dye ones. Thanks
Old September 3, 2017   #14
730dcm
Tomatovillian™

You know they flowers are closed pretty much all the time only open in evening night and early morning. I bought the mix pack from rare seeds . Com
730dcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2017   #15
MissS
Tomatovillian™

The seeds for the multi-colored flowers are available at most garden centers and box stores in the spring.