Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 13, 2006   #16
Star
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think canning is good if you want to have whole fruit, I can't think of any other advantage over freezing.

Hurricanes.

I like freezing.
So convenient - quick and tidy and uncomplicated.

However, frozen food requires electricity to stay frozen.

After the hurricane, there was no electricity for weeks.
No grocery stores or restaurants open.
No gas for transportation.

Endless peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

The concept of food preservation that does not rely on electricity
has my attention.

I will learn to can. :wink:
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2006   #17
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I concur with Star. One very big plus to non-freezing methods is that they do not rely on an energy source to stay preserved. You don't have to be in a hurricane to have the electricity go out for several days. Stuff will usually stay frozen if you have a full freezer and don't open it, but you still worry. In the past I've frozen a few whole tomatoes, but they are a mere shadow of fresh or canned stewed, in my opinion. Plus they take up a lot of space in the freezer (spheres don't pack efficiently).

We use all kinds of varieties of tomatoes in canning--remove the skins and core but not the seeds, then cook them down considerably before putting them in the jars to can. Then later I can open a jar, dish some out, add a dash of salt, and oh my they are delicious!

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote