Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 26, 2015   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Lets try this seed saving thing again

OK, first try last year, did a really bad job and I knew it at the time, too much other stuff going on. I Let the seeds dry out in the container and not surprisingly no germination when I tested them this year, so I tossed the entire lot. I just scraped out the seeds from my first ripe Estler's Mortgage Lifter tomato this year. Could not bring myself to toss the entire tomato in the container, I had to eat it. Now, there is only about 1/2 inch of seeds and goo in the bottom of the container, which has been sitting on my counter for about 36 hours. Hopefully I haven't done anything wrong yet, lol.

What next? Is that enough goo or do I need to squeeze some tomato juice from another tomato in there or add water? How much do I need? Will they ferment on my kitchen counter or rather my craft room counter or warm window sill or do they need to be outside? I am afraid they will get blown over or knocked over when I am at work if I leave them outside.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Just add some water, an equal amount or more. Cover it and let it ferment. I usually let it go for 5 days or so.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

What Ray said is fine, but really, the amount of liquid looks just fine to me, and I also do a lot of fermentation seed saving. Just keep an eye on it, dont let it dry out, keep it where warm but not windy, watch for a white film on the top to get just a bit thick. Also, swirl it for a few seconds once per day. Mine usually ferment to where I need them in about 4-5 days.

Then once you see the lightly thick white covering, or could be grey or black, then fill the container a few times with water, very slowly and carefully pouring it off so that good seeds fall to the bottom, floaters are not good, so pour those off too. Do until the water is clear and all the tomato bits are poured off. Then drain, and put the seeds out on a non coated paper plate or coffee filter, something absorbent. Let them dry in a single layer thoroughly for about 1-2 weeks, and store in a cool dry place.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #4
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have seen various posts about adding water, you shouldn't add water, tomato juice is better, it doesn't matter, etc, lol. When you say cover it do you mean with something air permeable like gauze or really cover it by putting the screw on cover back on it? I left it uncovered because I thought that was necessary for the bacteria required for fermentation to get in it.

I thought of another question, lol. I just picked 2 more ML tomatoes that will ripen inside over the next 2-3 days. Can I just keep adding to this jar, with the juice that is in there or should I start a new jar for each time? I might need to eat more Talenti Gelato before the end of the season. I hear the empty Fudge brownie and Double Dark Chocolate containers result in better fermentation of tomato seeds.

Last edited by SueCT; August 26, 2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old August 26, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I had two containers I wish I had added a little water to - because I forgot them and they dried out

Yours look fine.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I have seen various posts about adding water, you shouldn't add water, tomato juice is better, it doesn't matter, etc, lol. When you say cover it do you mean with something air permeable like gauze or really cover it by putting the screw on cover back on it? I left it uncovered because I thought that was necessary for the bacteria required for fermentation to get in it.
If I cover at all, I use plastic wrap but poke a toothpick hole in it. Covering keeps the gnats out. You could add a few drops of water if you see it getting too thick. I have never added tomato juice, but I have seen that described. I have added a little water plenty of times. It isn't that specific, you have a little leeway in the amount of water you add.
Old August 26, 2015   #7
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if more gel would evaporate less quickly than water?
Old August 26, 2015   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I thought of another question, lol. I just picked 2 more ML tomatoes that will ripen inside over the next 2-3 days. Can I just keep adding to this jar, with the juice that is in there or should I start a new jar for each time? I might need to eat more Talenti Gelato before the end of the season. I hear the empty Fudge brownie and Double Dark Chocolate containers result in better fermentation of tomato seeds.
Yes, you can add on top for a while, but dont you have enough seeds from just the one estlers? That one gave me lots of seeds, probably about 200 or so from one fruit!
I like the way you think, so yes! Gelato and brownie containers absolutely do give better fermentation!! Uh huh!
Old August 26, 2015   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I wonder if more gel would evaporate less quickly than water?
Probably not, but my answer is very unscientific.
Old August 26, 2015   #10
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I HATE gnats, but I when I do get them I catch them by putting plastic wrap over a custard cup with diluted vinegar in it and poke a few holes in it with a toothpick or wire. They go right through the holes but can't find their way out again. So not sure that would work, lol. I wonder if they could get trough cheesecloth? I do have some. At least it would keep the flies out. Only thing worse than gnats in my house is maggots. ICK!
Old August 26, 2015   #11
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default More about seed saving!

I just don't think I can have too many Estler's Mortgage Lifter Seeds, especially since they are not currently commercially available and other people have also contacted me looking for them. They are one of my favorites and I want to make sure I have them forever. Plus, I am currently 0/1, lol. If one batch doesn't do well, maybe the next one will. Once I do this successfully I will bag blossoms in future years. I didn't get out there soon enough but I did buy the bags for next year. It is so late in the season I assume any blossoms currently will never mature. But since I still have seeds from the ones Carolyn sent me, next year I can grow those and my own and make sure they grow true, but only bag and save the ones from her seeds. This year I am still trying to learn to do it correctly. But if they germinate when I test them I can still share them with anyone who has no seeds left and wants to try them knowing they were not bagged.

And the very best fermentation is from Talenti Fudge Brownie Gelato containers!

Last edited by SueCT; August 26, 2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old August 26, 2015   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I HATE gnats, but I when I do get them I catch them by putting plastic wrap over a custard cup with diluted vinegar in it and poke a few holes in it with a toothpick or wire. They go right through the holes but can't find their way out again. So not sure that would work, lol. I wonder if they could get trough cheesecloth? I do have some. At least it would keep the flies out. Only thing worse than gnats in my house is maggots. ICK!
Girlfriend, I don't know how you're going to like this, but along with fermentation, there are sometimes the little gnat/fruitfly maggots in the "sauce". I just squash them with the back of my seed spreading spoon when I am plating to dry. I know... Gross!
Old August 26, 2015   #13
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

EEEEWWWE! Good thing I really love my tomatoes!
Old August 26, 2015   #14
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I have found that you don't have to leave the container open to achieve fermentation. It seems that the raw tomato juice and flesh has plenty before being exposed to the air in the house.

Sue, you'll make your job a bunch easier if you just put some water in there. About half an inch would be great. If I may, I'd like to suggest that you can do your fermentation in half pint jars like I do and put rings and lids on them to control the stink. You can even write the variety name on the old canning lids. I wash the jars and lids when we finish a jar of canned garden stuff. I put the old lids and rings on the jars for storage to keep dust out

I've been using this method for a while and it works wonderfully. Most folks know I wrote "A beginners guide to Fermentation" which explains how to get started and what to look for to guarantee success. It's found over at Tatianna's Tomatobase. However, I've spent the last three years using this method of putting the "soup" into jars that I can close. I still get the white fungus mat and the fermentation is still finished in about 3-5 days. I also give each jar that's working a little swirling shake each day. This mixes up the contents and seems to accelerate the process slightly.

So, take a half pint jar with lid and ring and put the seeds and pulp and some water in. Swirl it each day to mix up the contents. You'll see seeds sinking to the bottom after each swirl. Then, just remove the seeds when fermentation is done, rinse, dry, and store.

The fungus gnats are thick here in Tennessee right now, and I absolutely know that this keeps the odors of fermentation and, at least some of those little devils out of the house.

Edited to add: Also, you won't get any maggots with closed jars.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; August 26, 2015 at 06:35 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2015   #15
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any of those jars, but I just put the lid on this one. Hope this is OK. Any reason I should go out and buy some of those glass ones?

I now have an inch of liquid but it is very watery. Hopefully it will form a fungal mat. Someone in another post thought the chlorinated tap water might inhibit the fungal growth. Is this OK?