Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Old June 30, 2011   #16
jobob
Tomatovillian™

I just found this forum, and I live about 15 miles away from Sunol (as the crow flies), so I was thrilled to come across this thread. I have Friday Sept. 9 marked on my calendar!

Cheers, - Jo.
Old July 1, 2011   #17
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Hi all,

We are holding a tomato tasting event on September 9th.

Details are here: http://baianicchia.blogspot.com/2011...t-at-baia.html

Please email us, or indicate in this thread if you want to attend. We look forward to seeing as many people from this forum as possible.
Old July 4, 2011   #18
kristy
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could participate, but Friday night is a no-go for me. I'm in Sacramento and I'd be willing to try drive to the bay area for a Saturday or Sunday.

We used to live in Fremont and had friends in Pleasanton. On our drives home, we would sometimes detour through Sunol just to daydream of owning a piece of land there.

Have a great time, everyone!
Old July 4, 2011   #19
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default It's not really Friday night, and it's not NORCATT

I think it would be great if someone put together a weekend NORCATT event. As a 14-hour-a-day/7-day-a-week farmer I don't really have weekends, and Friday September 9th is the only day when we can host an event. It is the only day when we can:

#1 Have people on the farm-site (at their time convenience) for tomato/farm tours

#2 Have an evening tomato tasting without having to charge

The owners of the Jazz Cafe are donating their reception room for this event. On the weekend it is booked, and expensive.

It seems clear that the overwhelming preference is for a weekend NORCATT event, so someone please coordinate the NORCATT event. We can't.

However, we will be pleased to welcome anyone interested in our event (up to 30 people). I think the event we are having is most appropriate for tomato fanatics who want to come early in the day to see the farm (thus avoiding the traffic). We are also in the East Bay's wine country, and there are a number of wineries and hiking trails very close to our site. Perhaps the Friday evening tomato tasting should not be viewed as the main course, but as the dessert. The day might make more sense if it was viewed as a day to get out to the country to visit a farm, hike, wine-taste and finish with a tomato tasting in a comfortable reception room where the taste of the tomatoes can be the center of attention (not the flies, wind and dirt, heat, cold, etc. etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy View Post
I wish I could participate, but Friday night is a no-go for me. I'm in Sacramento and I'd be willing to try drive to the bay area for a Saturday or Sunday.

We used to live in Fremont and had friends in Pleasanton. On our drives home, we would sometimes detour through Sunol just to daydream of owning a piece of land there.

Have a great time, everyone!
Old July 5, 2011   #20
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

This thread may be used for RSVPing (as well as our gmail address -- baianicchia).

When RSVPing please state the number of people that will be with you.

For more info on farm tours, call or email as the date gets near. We are very flexible.
Old July 31, 2011   #21
Firstcrush
Tomatovillian™

I would love to attend! There are 3 of us.
Thank you for such a nice invitation.
Donna
Old August 1, 2011   #22
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Sounds good. We will see you on the 9th of September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcrush View Post
I would love to attend! There are 3 of us.
Thank you for such a nice invitation.
Donna
Old August 11, 2011   #23
Calcruzer
Tomatovillian™

If it's not too late (and if you don't have 30 people yet), my wife and I would like to attend on September 9th. I work that day (in north San Jose near Milpitas), so we'll be attending only the evening 5:30 PM event.

There are just the two of us;--and we hope we'll have at least 8 ripe varieties of tomatoes to bring to the get-together on that day . (Currently have JD Special C-Tex, Nyagous, Reba, Arkansas Traveler, Bloody Butcher, and Sungold F1 that should be ready for sure. Hope that maybe Black Plum, Green Doctors, Chili Verde, Brandywine Black, Jetsetter and/or Aunt Ginny's Orange might also be ripe by then.)

Since I can't get your email address to work, I'll call tomorrow (on your 510-384-2716 number) and give you our details.

See you then.
Old August 13, 2011   #24
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Sounds great. We're reserving a spot for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcruzer View Post
If it's not too late (and if you don't have 30 people yet), my wife and I would like to attend on September 9th. I work that day (in north San Jose near Milpitas), so we'll be attending only the evening 5:30 PM event.

There are just the two of us;--and we hope we'll have at least 8 ripe varieties of tomatoes to bring to the get-together on that day . (Currently have JD Special C-Tex, Nyagous, Reba, Arkansas Traveler, Bloody Butcher, and Sungold F1 that should be ready for sure. Hope that maybe Black Plum, Green Doctors, Chili Verde, Brandywine Black, Jetsetter and/or Aunt Ginny's Orange might also be ripe by then.)

Since I can't get your email address to work, I'll call tomorrow (on your 510-384-2716 number) and give you our details.

See you then.
Old August 13, 2011   #25
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Fred I'm not sure if you have me down but if you have the room me and my wife would love to attend, thanks.

Damon
Old August 28, 2011   #26
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

We're counting on you, Damon.
Old August 28, 2011   #27
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

The "not really NORCATT but it might have to suffice" event is coming up! There are still a few spaces.

There is no charge.

There is an optional farm tour in the afternoon.

There will be food and drink available at the Jazz Cafe (Sunol) in the evening.

Specifics can be found here: http://baianicchia.blogspot.com/2011...t-at-baia.html
Old August 29, 2011   #28
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

This event cant come soon enough! Because I grow mostly in containers my plants have well out grown their homes and are dropping like flies! At this rate I should have zero fruits to bring to the tasting event. Just great!!!

Damon
Old August 29, 2011   #29
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Damon,

You don't stagger plantings?
Old September 8, 2011   #30
Firstcrush
Tomatovillian™

Default Reduced number in my party

Hi Fred,
Can you change my rsvp from 3 to 2?
I am sorry for the late notice, especially if the event is full.
Donna