Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 7, 2012   #1
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic ID?

This is my first time growing garlic and I just harvested this morning. I bought the this hard neck garlic last October at a local nursery but it was only labeled "Locally Grown Garlic". Got some big one's from my small garlic patch, these were some of the biggest at 2.5"-3" across. Can any garlic experts out there identify the variety from the picture? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garlic.jpg (255.3 KB, 48 views)
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2012   #2
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
This is my first time growing garlic and I just harvested this morning. I bought the this hard neck garlic last October at a local nursery but it was only labeled "Locally Grown Garlic". Got some big one's from my small garlic patch, these were some of the biggest at 2.5"-3" across. Can any garlic experts out there identify the variety from the picture? Thanks.
RayR - looks like mine. How long did the stems get? I'm sure an expert will be able to ID right from the photo of the bulb. I was just wondering because I have "Extra Select". The stems got about 2 feet tall.

Last edited by babice; July 7, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2012   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

They grew 2ft. tall. Isn't Extra Select a softneck? Mine are hardneck.
Old July 7, 2012   #4
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Ray Russian Giant which i just picked out today look these, the Russian hard necks have the red color like 1 of yours, this is my first year with garlic German white were small, Russian Red were average and were a little red, and Russian Giant were huge with a little red here they are Russian Red to left and Russian Giant to right
you are to let them dry up leave the dirt on them also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garlic.jpg (365.2 KB, 25 views)
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2012   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm no expert at identifying garlic varieties, but it could be German White or Music. I grow both and they do get to that size and have the red coloring, but much more so on the Music. The German White just has the mere hint of red at the top of some heads, whereas the Music has it streaking down the sides of most heads.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2012   #6
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
They grew 2ft. tall. Isn't Extra Select a softneck? Mine are hardneck.
Oh sorry. I missed that u typed hardneck. You're right. ES is softneck.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2012   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
Ray Russian Giant which i just picked out today look these, the Russian hard necks have the red color like 1 of yours, this is my first year with garlic German white were small, Russian Red were average and were a little red, and Russian Giant were huge with a little red here they are Russian Red to left and Russian Giant to right
you are to let them dry up leave the dirt on them also
How giant did those Russian Giant's get? I don't think mine are Russian Giant, but I think I'd like to try them next time.
Old July 8, 2012   #8
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I'm no expert at identifying garlic varieties, but it could be German White or Music. I grow both and they do get to that size and have the red coloring, but much more so on the Music. The German White just has the mere hint of red at the top of some heads, whereas the Music has it streaking down the sides of most heads.
I see there are some similarities in coloring, German White is a possibility. I'm counting 10-11 cloves in each head, I don't know if that helps narrow down what variety it is.
Old July 8, 2012   #9
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

cloves don't matter, garlic is tough to tell which is which, a friend sold me 1 of each last fall to plant.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2012   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i am not an expert but i can't imagine anyone can id garlic. i have grown many varieties of soft and hard necks over the past 5 or 6 years and they all tend to look the same except some are smaller or larger, some have color on the wrapper or some don't. some varieties taste different than others but that's hardly a way to id them. there's hundreds of different hardneck varieties and it is not unusual to see red on the wrapper or clove wrapper. i'd say it is a hardneck and maybe has red in the name but not necessarily.

this is like looking at a tomato and asking what variety is it. unless it is a variety with unique flavor, and there are some, no one can really say what it is.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2012   #11
plainolebill
Tomatovillian™

You can rule out a few things, it's not a porcelain because they only have 4-5 large cloves per head. Creoles have deep red/brown/purple cloves as do asiatics which also have a very long beak on the umbel capsule of the scape that you would most likely have noticed.

Probably a rocombole and it looks like Killarney Red. SWAG -lol, sorry couldn't help myself.

Last edited by plainolebill; July 20, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2012   #12
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

I think a lucky guess is about as close as you'll get to an I.D.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2012   #13
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys, I see the difficulty in making an ID with Garlic. I did figure it was a rocombole of some type, very possibly German White.